Fluid leaking from rear end - GL1800Riders
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member
Fluid leaking from rear end

I have a 2001 that I noticed was leaking what appears to be dark gray to almost black fluid from the R side of rear end at the tire. Forgive my ignorance but not sure if a GW has a rear differential but if so it would appear to be coming from there. Drove it home (10mi) and seems to run fine but too a while to get it to go into neutral, would switch gears easily but not find neutral. Two questions: First is this a leaking differential - I'm sure I need to take it to be seen about so Second: Is it safe to drive it to dealer or should I arrange a tow. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Seasoned Member
First thing I would recommend is check the fluid in the final drive...may be time for a change out....
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 05:51 PM
GL1800 Doctor
It's not really a differential, just a shaft driven rearend. You probably have a leaking ring gear seal. Cheapest way to fix it, is to buy a trike take off rearend and swap it out. Takes about an hour and most trike take offs have 0 miles on them so it's almost brand new. I wouldn't ride it much, that gear oil is slick and it's getting on your tire, you don't want to go down.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member
Had the same thing happen to me about a month ago. Saw oil on the floor of the garage on the right side. Did my research and found that the seals inside were gone and best to change out the rear drive. Found a zero mile take off on Ebay and changed out the bad for new. Simple job if your handy. Nice and smooth and quiet now!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member
It's worth my time to take to shop. Just trying to find if it's safe to ride. Rode when it was leaking badly and didn't get slick so not too worried just don't want to break something trying to get it there.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Seasoned Member
NO! It is NOT safe to ride in general. A 10 mile non cengested ride to the dealer AFTER wiping down the oil is something a nut like me might try, but I can't recommend it. I can understand having a pro shop do the work if you are not a mechanicaly inclined person and fairly well healed. Your dealer or independent shop is probably aware of trike take offs too. Good luck!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Seasoned Member
I bought a new rear with brake disc and caliper with pads for $125. Just change it out. The big trike convertion dealers have plenty. Mine came from Sercy Arkansas.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Seasoned Member
if you happen to have the Honda towing plan ($120 for 5 years) they will tow your wing to the Honda dealer for free
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Seasoned Member
Danger, Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!
DON'T ride it.. I had the same thing on my '03.. it's most likely the rear seal, and that will blow oil all over your tire. Oily tires don't do very well at sticking to the road. Remember what happens to a car when James Bond sprays oil on the road in front of it... You don't want to go down just to save a tow... that would kind of spoil your whole day.
A trike take off will solve your issue, and as others have said, they are pretty cheap.

Here's my story.. BT, DT

Good Luck..

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 06:27 AM
Seasoned Member
Originally Posted by Pigeon Roost View Post
NO! It is NOT safe to ride
... and when you get to a dealer, already have a final drive assembly to hand them. Otherwise they may want to repair yours and that would be extreemly costly. That is what our rear ends are called ... a final drive.

JustWings - GL1800 Specialty Service and Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page