Purolator PL 14612 Oil Filter GL1800 - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 273
Thumbs down

Look folks,
by trying to save a buck it ends costing you 2. My recommendation is stick to the manufactures recommendation and sleep well at night.
rmiller is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member
 
DavidinKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Beaver Dam, Ky USA
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiller View Post
Look folks,
by trying to save a buck it ends costing you 2. My recommendation is stick to the manufactures recommendation and sleep well at night.
I sleep like a baby, Thank you. David

David / 2002 Stream Silver / Darkside # 1300 - American Legion Riders Post 55
DavidinKy is offline  
post #23 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Emmett, Id
Posts: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiller View Post
Look folks,
by trying to save a buck it ends costing you 2. My recommendation is stick to the manufactures recommendation and sleep well at night.
I find it comforting (and helping my sleep) by knowing that I am using one of the best oil filters on my Goldwing that money can buy. And that means that I am not using the OEM one.

Rather doubt that my engine is going to hand grenade by using the OEM one, but when you can do better at half the price of the OEM, why the heck would you not want to?
Rustydust is offline  
post #24 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Watching Karma unfold
Posts: 11,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiller View Post
Look folks,
by trying to save a buck it ends costing you 2. My recommendation is stick to the manufactures recommendation and sleep well at night.

It always amazes me why people say the things they do when they should ask for the correct answer instead of saying something stupid that is uncalled for..

You want to explain what is in bold above. I know I'd like to hear what you have to say about that part.


Reasons why I use a Pure One Filter:

1) It's the best filter I can buy for my bike.
2) I can walk into just about any parts store and find one on the shelf.


Try doing that with an OEM filter.
1) You try and walk into a Honda dealer and get an oil filter when you need one. Good luck with that!
2) Local dealers don't stock the simplest of maintenance items so we don't have to shop online for them.



Here is something to think about as you sleep at night.

If you can decipher what you are looking at that is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2200032[1].jpg
Views:	624
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	26016
Rocky is offline  
post #25 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: As the new way, somewhere
Posts: 13,218
All I know is Confucsus says.........if dummy one does not install filter oil will end up on garage floor.
xxxxxxxxxxxxKit Carson is offline  
post #26 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Seasoned Member
 
bluestreakrem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 664
Filter Facts[TABLE="width: 700"]
[TR]
[TD]Filter
[/TD]
[TD]Comments
[/TD]
[TD]Supplier/Cost
[/TD]
[TD]Over All Length
[/TD]
[TD]Particulate Size
Filtering
[/TD]
[TD]Filter Eff.
%
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Bosch Distance Plus
D3300
[/TD]
[TD]Short Version
Made by Champion
[/TD]
[TD]WalMart
$11.97
[/TD]
[TD]3"
[/TD]
[TD]15 micron
[/TD]
[TD]99.9
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Bosch Distance Plus
D3323
[/TD]
[TD]Longer Version
Made by Champion
[/TD]
[TD]WalMart
$11.97
[/TD]
[TD]3-9/16"
[/TD]
[TD]15 micron
[/TD]
[TD]99.9
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]SuperTech
ST7317
[/TD]
[TD]Longer Version
Product of USA
[/TD]
[TD]WalMart
$ 2.84
[/TD]
[TD]3-3/8"
[/TD]
[TD]?
[/TD]
[TD]?
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Purolator
ML16817
Power Sports
[/TD]
[TD]Motorcycle specific filter.
Made in China
[/TD]
[TD]PepBoys
$ 9.20
[/TD]
[TD]3-1/16"
[/TD]
[TD]?
[/TD]
[TD]?
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Purolator Pure One
PL14612
[/TD]
[TD]Short Version
Made in USA
[/TD]
[TD]PepBoys
$ 6.49
[/TD]
[TD]3"
[/TD]
[TD]20 micron
[/TD]
[TD]99.9
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Honda
OEM
15410-MFJ-D01
[/TD]
[TD]Short Filter
[/TD]
[TD]Honda
$ 9.99
[/TD]
[TD]2-5/8"
[/TD]
[TD]?
[/TD]
[TD]?
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Purolator Pure One
PL14610
[/TD]
[TD]Long Version
Made in USA
[/TD]
[TD]PepBoys
$ 6.49
[/TD]
[TD]3-9/16"
[/TD]
[TD]20 micron
[/TD]
[TD]99.9
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mobil 1 M1-108
Extended Performance
[/TD]
[TD]Short version
Product of USA
[/TD]
[TD]PepBoys
$ 13.99
[/TD]
[TD]2-9/16
[/TD]
[TD]10 micron
[/TD]
[TD]99.2
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mobil 1 M1-110
Extended Performance
[/TD]
[TD]Long Version
Product of USA
[/TD]
[TD]PepBoys
$ 13.99
[/TD]
[TD]3-1/2"
[/TD]
[TD]10 micron
[/TD]
[TD]99.2
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Yamaha/Denso
5GH-13440

[/TD]
[TD]Short Filter
[/TD]
[TD]Yamaha
$ 12.20
[/TD]
[TD]2-7/8"
[/TD]
[TD]?
[/TD]
[TD]?
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Notes:
- A question mark denotes no data could be located for this value.
- The Mobil 1, Bosch and Pure One filters have been shown to have the same synthetic filtering media by vertue of disassembly.
- The claimed particulate filtering size and efficiency stated are from the manufacturers website.



Current rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag-Full Monty Traxxion
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike
bluestreakrem is offline  
post #27 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Seasoned Member
 
goinssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Van Buren, Arkansas
Posts: 1,692
I like it when some here staunchly defend the use of OEM product with the idea that it is the best for the bike just because it is OEM and Honda would not use anything but the best available for their bike. Do they not realize that Honda does not make these products? They source the manufacture of these products to the cheapest bidder who can build it within the specified guidelines (and believe be when I say that the guidelines are very vague and broad as I worked in manufacturing for 27 years) They would rather fight than admit that there are better substitutes for fluids, filters, etc. yet these same people would rather hit a fence post than run a Dunlop 250 on their bike saying that it is the worst piece of rubber that ever hit the road, yet it is an OEM item. Surely Honda would NEVER use a tire for which there is no better substitute. Bottom line is that there are better oils, filters, etc. but regardless of that fact use what gives you a warm fuzzy and have a great ride. For some reason mine just rides and runs better with Rotella worming its way through a Purolator filter. Go figure!


Stephen
2008 Black GL1800
DS #246
He is, therefore, I am.
Cancer Sucks!
goinssr is offline  
post #28 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Watching Karma unfold
Posts: 11,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinssr View Post
I like it when some here staunchly defend the use of OEM product with the idea that it is the best for the bike just because it is OEM and Honda would not use anything but the best available for their bike. Do they not realize that Honda does not make these products? They source the manufacture of these products to the cheapest bidder who can build it within the specified guidelines (and believe be when I say that the guidelines are very vague and broad as I worked in manufacturing for 27 years) They would rather fight than admit that there are better substitutes for fluids, filters, etc. yet these same people would rather hit a fence post than run a Dunlop 250 on their bike saying that it is the worst piece of rubber that ever hit the road, yet it is an OEM item. Surely Honda would NEVER use a tire for which there is no better substitute. Bottom line is that there are better oils, filters, etc. but regardless of that fact use what gives you a warm fuzzy and have a great ride. For some reason mine just rides and runs better with Rotella worming its way through a Purolator filter. Go figure!

You want to laugh.

The OEM Honda Preacher. Stated yesterday that he uses a Fram filter in his Toyota! I guess that's all right for a toyota huh?? LOL
Rocky is offline  
post #29 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Seasoned Member
 
Pigeon Roost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: WV
Posts: 13,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Carson View Post
All I know is Confucsus says.........if dummy one does not install filter oil will end up on garage floor.

Mistakes are great teachers. I am well schooled, too.

prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
Pigeon Roost is offline  
post #30 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Seasoned Member
 
goinssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Van Buren, Arkansas
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
You want to laugh.

The OEM Honda Preacher. Stated yesterday that he uses a Fram filter in his Toyota! I guess that's all right for a toyota huh?? LOL
I am SO ashamed....I must admit that I too am guilty of using a Fram filter....on my Goldwing though. I'm sorry! Please forgive me!

On second thought; forget it! I may even use another one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon Roost View Post
Mistakes are great teachers. I am well schooled, too.

prs
Hey PR..I doubt that you are any better schooled than I am...


Stephen
2008 Black GL1800
DS #246
He is, therefore, I am.
Cancer Sucks!
goinssr is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome