FYI: Valve Clearance check @ 98,268 miles on '05 ABS - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

FYI: Valve Clearance check @ 98,268 miles on '05 ABS

Three valve clearances for V4, V5 and V6 IN were off by ~.0005 but within spec.

All other valve clearances were essentially on.

The first time I checked valves, at 46,400 miles, one valve was out of spec so I brought it and 3 others to center spec. This time, I'm letting the three ride.

Initially watching and then reviewing Mr. Harmon's DVDs for this process was huge. I doubt if I could have done this job without his guidance. Well, I would not have tried!

I know there's been some discussion about de-tensioning vs not de-tensioning the cam chain. I tried it both ways this time. I feel my readings were somewhat more accurate with the chains de-tensioned, keeping in mind there's a degree of subjectivity interpreting the resistence of a feeler guage. Of course, the go / no go method clears up a lot of that subjectivity.

Ride on.

Bob Evans
Indiana Dunes
(~Chesterton, IN)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 09:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Glad to hear they were checked and de-tensioned. If they had been adjusted, most will say the motor response is snapier. You may not want to wait 32k to check them again since those 3 are just a *unt hair from being to tight. A motor with them all center spected is a noticably smoother running motor.

JustWings - GL1800 Specialty Service and Repair

Advice is like cooking ... I always try it before I feed it to others !!!

Florida Prowler #78
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:01 PM
CJS
Seasoned Member

Garage
I wish someone would do a valve check on a brand new or very low mileage Goldwing. We worry about center spec, but we're not sure how close they were to spec when brand new. It seems that those that have checked theirs more than once have not reported any significant change from inspection to inspection. It may be that what we are seeing when we check them at 40-70,000 miles is the essentially the same settings they came from the factory with. Having toured the Anna engine plant in Ohio when the engines were still being built there, I didn't notice or recall seeing that the clearance were checked. It seemed that they were assembled with the parts that were provided and assumed within spec and that was it.
I'm not complaining or casting any aspersions, just wondering.
I sure hope we can start riding soon, so I can quit wondering about all these things.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS View Post
I wish someone would do a valve check on a brand new or very low mileage Goldwing. We worry about center spec, but we're not sure how close they were to spec when brand new. It seems that those that have checked theirs more than once have not reported any significant change from inspection to inspection. It may be that what we are seeing when we check them at 40-70,000 miles is the essentially the same settings they came from the factory with. Having toured the Anna engine plant in Ohio when the engines were still being built there, I didn't notice or recall seeing that the clearance were checked. It seemed that they were assembled with the parts that were provided and assumed within spec and that was it.
I'm not complaining or casting any aspersions, just wondering.
I sure hope we can start riding soon, so I can quit wondering about all these things.
I am betting they would not be dead on from the factory.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Member

After watching Fred work on his, the ones he changed to get within spec had different size spacers. They were either changed once before or when built at the factory someone checked the gap and decided what size was needed to be in spec. All I'm saying is I would think that when it left the factory it was within their spec.
I like the fact that this 05 has 90 some thousand on it and valves still ok. I was thinking of checking mine but with 32k I'm not going to worry about the valves for a long time.

1970 go-cart
1972 Honda 100
1975 Yamaha 250
1982 Harley Sportster
25 years of Raising kids
2005 yellow 1800
DS #1532
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Seasoned Member

A number of years ago when I worked part time at the local Honda dealer as a service writer, all new bikes were brought back in for the 600 mile check up. Among many tings done, a valve check and adjustment was a part of this service. Wouldn't it stand to reason that many of the bikes sold have had the valves checked already? Or don't they do this anymore?

Darksider #1358 Michelin Alpin 195/55-16
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Seasoned Member

I had my first vavle check done at 60K all were in spec the Honda dealer mechanic told me So just recently at 125K me and my mechanic mate checked them again still all with in spec only 1 exuast was a bees dick tight but nothing to worry about my mate said i check them again in another 60K or so but i doubt it will ever change
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Edd
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinLite View Post
I am betting they would not be dead on from the factory.
YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS. The factory definitely "center specs" the valves for a smoother running engine.

Sorry, just kidding. I was drinking too much kool-aid.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

No, the valves on my new '05 were not checked by the selling dealer at the initial oil change/inspection.

Again, at 46,400 miles I had one valve out of spec. 4 others were off but still within spec. Was it like this from the factory? I don't know. But it sure seems worthwhile checking them at 32,000 miles (or so!) just to be on the safe side.

I agree that the bike seemed to run better after centering all of the clearances but I also allowed that may have my my exuberant imagination at work! I also think the bike runs smoother after an oil change...

I've posted this before and will say it again, the Wing seems to be running smoother and stronger as the miles pile on. Or perhaps I'm getting senile?!

Bob Evans
Indiana Dunes
(~Chesterton, IN)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
A number of years ago when I worked part time at the local Honda dealer as a service writer, all new bikes were brought back in for the 600 mile check up. Among many tings done, a valve check and adjustment was a part of this service. Wouldn't it stand to reason that many of the bikes sold have had the valves checked already? Or don't they do this anymore?
As for the Wing ... I think because of better metals, oils, and motor designs, doing a 600 mile check with a valve adjustment is no longer needed. I do remember when I had a new 81 850GL Susuki, I took it back for the 600 mile service and could not beleive how much better the m/c was after having the valves adjusted and all the cables too. At 600 miles it felt like a differant bike. Also back then, many things like brakes used cables that stretch a lot at first.

JustWings - GL1800 Specialty Service and Repair

Advice is like cooking ... I always try it before I feed it to others !!!

Florida Prowler #78

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page