Engine Side Covers: What's happening here? - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Engine Side Covers: What's happening here?

It sort of looks like there's some thin plastic covering on them, like when you get a new large appliance, and now it's just peeling off.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7193.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	52150Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7195.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	52151 Is that what it is, or is it something else? What do I do to "fix" this eyesore? Thanks.

I'm John, and my rides are:
2007 Black Metallic Goldwing
2007 Black Yamaha FZ1
2014 Black Ford F150 FX4 Ecoboost
"There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know."
- Don Rumsfeld, circa 2002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Geography

It's a byproduct of where you live. Floridas humidity and salt air takes it's toll on metal. Professional polishing and maybe clear powdercoating will restore your covers. Check to see if powdercoating will stand up to engine heat.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:41 AM
Seasoned Member

They powdercoat exhaust so that shouldnt be any problem . Where they clearcoated before and thats whats peeling off or is the aluminum ?

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLEJOHN View Post
They powdercoat exhaust so that shouldnt be any problem . Where they clearcoated before and thats whats peeling off or is the aluminum ?
John, that appears to be from salt. We get the same thing up here, hence we usually try to wait until the roads ae clear up here. That is, unless we jus get tired of waiting!

LD Rider since '75 and still going.
AMA 672853 (Life)
IBA 8846 Premier
NRA 0415685108 (Life, We really do vote)
Present Rides:
2007 Metallic Orange Gold Wing (#4)

2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Yeah, baby!!!)
2000 Honda VTR1000F
Past Rides:
Who cares?
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Seasoned Member

It could be from salt, but it could also be just from the exposed aluminum corroding. Corroded aluminum can leave white powder like that. I imagine that you might fair worse with it if you live near the ocean with all that salt spray.

Honda paints the head covers, and it can peel with time, with or without salt. I don't know if it is from engine heat or what, but the right side seems to be the most common one to peel. Mine is peeling on that side too, but it's not nearly as bad as yours. Same thing happened with my Honda Magna after a number of years.

I don't have a good answer as to how to fix it unless you are really good at refinishing. I kind of like the look of the OEM finish, and I doubt that I could duplicate that brushed finish look. I am not going to buy those stick on chrome aftermarket covers to hide it. They make it a pain to remove the head covers.

I may look into just replacing them with a new set from Honda. The first set lasted 12 years. I have seen some actual head covers that have been chromed, but the prices are pretty high.

I have also been waiting for a viable alternative. Hopefully somebody will post something.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Can also be caused by using a "strong" soap, like dish detergent, when washing the bike and not getting it all rinsed off.

Jack
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLEJOHN View Post
They are clearcoated from the factory. You could pull them off, strip the remaining clearcoat, polish and recoat them. That would be MUCH cheaper than new ones. Powder coating is also an option but the cost would be about the same. Actually I think that they make clear powder coat and that may be the best approach.

Jeff...
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:45 AM
Seasoned Member

I'd suggest looking into getting them powder coated. Many have gotten it done and the results look great. Many different colors are available and even silver and clear. The ones that had black powder coating done look really nice in my opinion.

Here is a picture of a black bike with black valve covers owned by goinssr. He also had the wheels, lower cowl and exhaust covers done. I think this looks great.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...=1#post3928342

-- Jim --

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Seasoned Member

I had the valve covers on my 2005 billet silver powder coated last fall to match. The cost was $100. From your avatar it appears your motorcycle is black. The cost for black powder coat would have been less. I removed the center chrome trim and all of the sealing washers (which I was able to reuse). I replaced the valve cover gaskets, but I could have reused them as well. The powder coat shop used a fine sandblast to remove the original paint. I am not concerned about the powder coat holding up to the engine heat.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG9692S.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	52171  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Fuller View Post
I had the valve covers on my 2005 billet silver powder coated last fall to match. The cost was $100. From your avatar it appears your motorcycle is black. The cost for black powder coat would have been less. I removed the center chrome trim and all of the sealing washers (which I was able to reuse). I replaced the valve cover gaskets, but I could have reused them as well. The powder coat shop used a fine sandblast to remove the original paint. I am not concerned about the powder coat holding up to the engine heat.

Ron
That looks nice Ron. I may have to do that to my '05 someday.

-- Jim --

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 852 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page