GL1800Riders Forums banner

Air filter PITA

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Captron 
#1 ·
I asked my two local Honda dealerships their charge for changing a GL1800 air filter. One said $350 the other said $250 plus the cost of the filter. It takes me two housr to take the plastic off--I guess I will change it myself again. Most charge $95 an hour labor

HOUSTON AREA

#2 ·
once you do not hard. just takes time. if not living in real dusty conditions easy to go 40,000 without changing. usually i do when doing something else to bike- upgrade or wiring etc.

#3 ·
Check for pricing at the Honda dealer in El Campo. About a year ago I made an appointment for a Saturday had them do it while I waited. I had my own filter that they used and charged me $100.00. I was a first time customer there. It is a nice ride down 59 and the Hiljie Smoke House has good eating.

I had heard of this place before on this forum where they had done the same for another forum member at that price.

Call them first like I did and see what they tell you.

#4 ·
I had two changed out by the late Jim Venne at Venco Wings while he was still alive. He would carry on conversations with you as he worked...he wasn't the type to say "I'm working here and it's your time you're paying for". He wasn't aware that I looked at the clock directly over his work lift as he started the process of removing the Tupperware. I stood there the whole time at the entrance to the shop behind my bike and was amazed when he finished just barely over one hour later start to finish. He was simply a wizard and knew shortcuts to working on the Goldwings that many mechanics never discover...and yes he did remove the dirty filter with the mouse mansion built on top of it.

Allen

#5 ·
I didn't realize that Jim had died. :( He was my original source for my Goldwing extras. I had called Venco enough times that they knew my voice. lol Best service anyone could ask for. They sent parts, then you sent money. He will be missed.

#7 ·
I didn't realize that Jim had died. :( He was my original source for my Goldwing extras. I had called Venco enough times that they knew my voice. lol Best service anyone could ask for. They sent parts, then you sent money. He will be missed.
Yes he is missed ...a guru of motorcycle techs if you will...when he died on 2/16/14 there was a collective thought amongst us wingers in New England and it was "oh *****...Jim's gone, who's going to work on my wing now. The business is closed and I believe Sue is now living in the Carolinas.

It's funny you mentioned your quote above. I just went to Riders rally and saw my comment about Jim to that board:

"The first time I ever went there I was actually just in the visiting and checking out mode. As I walked into the store I had noticed the cute little sign saying something about " your wife just called and said it was alright to buy" , or something like that. As I walked through the store I was really wishing I had a wallet full of cash and remarked about that to a guy picking out a part next to me. I didn't know it was Jim. He said " pick out what you want and we'll invoice it all and send you a bill". Unbelievable, Jim had never laid eyes on me before and here he was offering to send me the bill. I became a customer at that time and always grabbed about 4 business cards everytime there, handing them out to other Wing riders I'd see at gas stations etc. Hope some of them found Venco Wings and also enjoyed Jim's magic as he wrenched on their Wing".

Some Wing tech's do it right most of the time and Jim did it best all the time.

Allen

#8 ·
Allen,
I wish I had the chance to meet jim.............BUT I thank you for introducing me to Adam @ Moto Rocket.....I couldn't be happier with his service, pricing, and workmanship................

Ronnie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.