GL1800Riders Forums banner

Hazard Switch 2005 GL1800A

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  ICTGhost 
#1 ·
Hazard switch wont stay in.
I was thinking I might replace it with a rocker switch.
Anybody ever accomplished this mod?
Thanks for a reply.

#6 ·
I just had my 2005 GL1800A have the opposite problem. It would stay on and not turn off. Took the switch off the bike and disassemble, clean out old grease and add new lubricant. Tested and worked fine then reassembled and put back on bike. If you do this, be very careful and cautious when seperating the switch mechanism because the spring could fly out on you and you really need that spring. Good luck!
Big H

#7 · (Edited)
I took mine apart last night.
The little rod that locks- unlocks ,
had rubbed a wear pattern on the plastic internals and was just plain worn out.
I guess the PO had used it a lot.
I got it to turn off, it just wont stay locked in,
it still works ok if you want to hold it in manually.
I never use it, so It's good for now.
Thanks for the help.
It would be nice if mother Honda would supply the switch separately.
$156 to replace the whole thing is ludicrous.
Maybe somebody will start manufacturing the switch,
like Big Bike parts does for the fog switch.

I guess I could switch the plastic outer fog button with the hazard button,
anybody know if they are interchangeable?

#8 ·
I wound clean and lube your old switch. Many of those aftermarket ones are not water proof. If in the process of cleaning it, a part is lost, send me a PM, I have old ones laying around. I sell them for a little more then the cost of shipping and the bubble wrapped package.

Reactions: ssncob
#9 · (Edited)
Thanks Greg,
You are an asset to this board.
The switch is plain worn out, the tiny groove the pin rides in is toast.
I put back together without the pin and it works but wont lock in of course.In the process of messing with it the button led light wires broke off too.

#14 ·
Greg - Kudos to you on this. OEM replacement is usually the easier route to go. As to aftermarket - you can use the radioshack mod listed above, but that method requires an additional relay. RadioShack also carries a DPDT (double pole - double throw) switch (looks the same as the single pole switch in the rattlebars pic's) that doesn't require a relay - just hook the wires from the old OEM switch to the new one. Now Greg is right when he says the switches are not watertight - they do a pretty good job at resisting water but they ain't great. Some water will get in after a while and cause corrosion. To help eliminate that issue - get some silicone grease (plumber's grease) and smear it into and around the switch opening (the part that you can see once the switch is installed (the rocker)).

#15 ·
Just to clarify ... I don't want anyone to think that the OEM ones are water tight. However, the OEM switch sits inside the panel about 3/4" leaving it well protected from rain. The Radio Shack one sits on the back side of the panel leaving it more exposed.

Reactions: ICTGhost
#16 · (Edited)
My switch was stuck IN/ON...flashing and I couldn't turn it off. It happened while I was headed to a GWRRA monthly meeting. When I got there I mentioned it to a member and he sent me the following instructions:

Because the panel is removable, it's an easy switch to clean.

- remove pocket
- remove panel
- remove panel's back cover
- remove 2 screws that hold switch in
- cut nylon tie for light pigtail that goes into button
- remove light assembly
- pull switch out of panel
- remove nylon cap and button assembly over switch
- clean it all and lube with a contact lubricant. I used CRC BrakeClean (red) to clean with and Radio Shack's Control Contact Cleaner and Lubricant.
- reassemble

He also gave me another tip...to take the switch apart in a larger ziplock bag because it's easy to lose the little spring that operates the switch's movement. I can also recommend using the bag because that spring flies out pretty fast.

My switch is "fixed".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.