Progressive Suspension - Page 4 - GL1800Riders
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 06:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerC View Post
Thanks Doug. I've disabled the ADV with the old nickel but I will test the bounce like you suggested. How difficult is it to remove the pre-load spacers? Is that a complete dis-assembly of the tubes? Just another glitch in my life. It is getting costly to own 2 motorcycles!
Roger: The pre-load parts are in the shock,
but my thoughts are only to use the "Nickel" option (5 min labor) cause that disables it and if you do not like it disabled you just pull the nickel out & you are back to using the ADV. Which is a good system imho. Many have done it that way.

Then if you do not want the cartridges you can just get springs of your choice or another system.

Racetech has springs that let you pick the tension in them by your weight sort of a custom fit rather than a one size fits all. If your are not a heavy weight that option may be better for you.

Once you get it right you will know it, and like it, but it does take some research and patients. MUCH more info on suspension on this board than you would care to read. But the key is what YOU want & very important what weight YOU carry with YOUR riding style.. Ride SAFE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 09:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Progressive Suspension

I did the bouncing thing late last night (with ADV disabled) and the front end does bounce up and down. I'll not say "freely" as the springs in the Progressive setup are stiffer by design than Honda OEM. So, I'm at a loss as to what to do next. My options seem to be "live with it", "have the pre-load spacers removed" (about as much cost involved as to have option 3 done) or #3, return the forks to stock setup. I have only 26K on the wing and it has not been ridden hard, so in my opinion, I have many more miles left on the stock springs and I am leaning toward having them re-installed. This time, I believe I can remove the tubes myself and save an hour's labor charge. I have more time on my hands than money in my pocket. My OEM setup was fine--I guess I fell victim to the "everybody else is doing Progressive, why not me?" Maybe on down the road I'll consider the race tech option, but right now, my mind is focused on getting the smoothest ride I can find.

2008 Black Goldwing, risers, highway pegs, Wingsoft seat, Utopia backrest, MP3 player, CB, rotor covers, sheepskin seat cover, spoiler, modified brake and turn signals, air wings, mirror wings, All Balls steering bearings. No money left.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up GL-1800 Center Stand EZ-LIFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpy45 View Post
I guess that I am just as cheap as anyone else if not more so. I used a 5/16th flat washer for the anti-dive shim. Works great. Now to figure out a cheap way to make a longer lever for the center stand. I will be under going a hernia repair surgery March 18th and will not be able to lift anything more than 30 lbs for at least 3 months. I figure that way it will take less effort to get the bike up on center stand which it what I use when parking it under our carport. Might just help me to keep riding this summer, and maybe even till I get really old. Also will turn 71 this May!
Sorry if someone covered this for you earlier. But here's an idea for your center stand issue. Little pricey...But if it works for ya. Keep info like this if and when I'll need it.
(GL-1800 Center Stand EZ-LIFT PHILS FARKELS)
http://www.philsfarkels.com/home.html

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Who decided to put the extra (excessive) preload spacers in, you or the mechanic? The same person should be responsible for removal IMHO.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 10:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse1800 View Post
Who decided to put the extra (excessive) preload spacers in, you or the mechanic? The same person should be responsible for removal IMHO.
The mechanic puts the spacers in, based on his experience and analysis of how big the rider is. If I had known they make a BIG difference, I would have asked him to leave the spacers out. OTOH, from what the Progressive tech rep told me, removal of the spacers "may soften the ride some" but he could not quantify how much is "some." I'm beginning to accept the philosophy that Progressive cartridges (with or without spacers) are for aggressive riders who scrape pegs every now and then, or for support of two up weight or a heavier rider than me. A Goldwing is not supposed to feel like you are riding on a donkey.

2008 Black Goldwing, risers, highway pegs, Wingsoft seat, Utopia backrest, MP3 player, CB, rotor covers, sheepskin seat cover, spoiler, modified brake and turn signals, air wings, mirror wings, All Balls steering bearings. No money left.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 12:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I spoke at length with the head mechanic at the Honda shop who installed my monotubes. He said he had installed hundreds of monotubes and only one guy was so dissatisfied that he changed those forks back to stock. He said he could do the same for me, if I wish. He says he follows the instructions furnished by the manufacturer and knew there was a difference in the amount of oil in the forks. He repeated what Progressive told me by phone that the springs in the cartridges are stiffer than Honda OEM. We talked about the ADV and Jr. said mine was working properly. When I got home I removed the top of the ADV anyway, tested it (it works every time I depress the brake pedal) and took a ride but did not see a vast improvement. I started to just bolt it back together but then decided to do the "hole in a nickel" thing. Still, no vast improvement in riding comfort. Progressive said they would send me a return authorization and I could send the monotubes in for testing, but since I have only 26K miles and I am not an aggressive rider (you can read that as an old slow fart) I may just go back to the stock set up, which I have. I could probably sell the monotubes for a reduced price and they would be great for a heavy person or someone who likes to push the limits of a Goldwing. One more thing. Progressive said removing the pre-load spacers would soften the spring bounce some but their monotubes were designed to be stiffer than OEM. Alternatively, I can ride the dang thing and try to get used to a rougher ride.
Quote:
The mechanic puts the spacers in, based on his experience and analysis of how big the rider is. If I had known they make a BIG difference, I would have asked him to leave the spacers out. OTOH, from what the Progressive tech rep told me, removal of the spacers "may soften the ride some" but he could not quantify how much is "some." I'm beginning to accept the philosophy that Progressive cartridges (with or without spacers) are for aggressive riders who scrape pegs every now and then, or for support of two up weight or a heavier rider than me. A Goldwing is not supposed to feel like you are riding on a donkey.
I did a lot of reading before I went to PMT's in 2013. Back then, Progressive's instructions were to definitely put in at least one of the spacers they supply. There was a lot of discussion around whether the spacers were really needed for an 'average' size person or not. I spoke to Buckskin about it because I was also installing a billet tree at the same time and he advised/convinced me that I wouldn't need spacers, and I didn't put any in. The improvement in the ride was very noticeable. No more harsh shock in the handlebars from hitting bumps and holes in the road, no more twisting from road snakes etc. And I promise you, I am NOT an aggressive rider.

In 2015 my PMT's failed - they locked up pretty solid. Holding the front brake I could only compress the forks one inch and then bang - no more movement. I reinstalled the stock setup and sent the PMT's to Progressive for testing. It was interesting going back to stock. Much much softer feeling, but too soft, and all the stock handling characteristics were back. Not a BAD ride, but not as nice as with the PMT's. Progressive replaced my cartridges and I put them in when I got the new ones. Now, the instructions say not to put in any spacers unless you feel you need more preload (i.e. a heavier than 'average' rider). Even when I spoke to them on the phone there seemed to be some confusion among the employees whether spacers were needed, but as I said the instructions now say they're not needed in most cases.

Anyway, if you can compress your forks more than an inch holding the front brake, you don't have the lockup failure I had. My guess is that if you remove the spacers you'll enjoy the feel, but yes, if you have to pay to have it done it'll be pricey. Do you think if you showed the new PMT instructions to your mechanic he might give you a break on the cost of removing the spacer since it basically says he shouldn't be putting them in in most cases?

FWIW, the old original instructions said:

Quote:
"Put one of the supplied C shaped preload spacers between the top of the fork spring and the upper spring seat. Do this on both Monotone assemblies."
The new instructions say:

Quote:
"Though we feel no extra preload spacers on each cartridge assembly is optimum in most cases, you may feel you need more preload. If so, do not add more than one of the supplied preload spacers to each fork."

2006 Honda GL1800
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic (sold)
1983 Suzuki GS850G (sold)
1982 Yamaha Vision 550 (sold)

post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

The original style came with no spacers installed, 4 loose in box, 2 per side, use one or both, with 1 per side being normal.

New style are firmer as shipped (like old style with one per side) and only come with 2 extra spacers.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:06 AM
Seasoned Member

For what is worth, I'm a fan of the PMT's. I weigh 220 on a good day....They definitely give my bike a softer ride over rough roads, tracks, etc. I put them in without the extra spacers, and on the new gen III, less oil is used on the right side per Progressive. I also have the Progressive shock on the back. I think it's the best ride you can get for a bike this big, for the price. Not everyone likes a corvette to ride like a Cadillac.......Just sayin

2008 GL1800 Pearl White

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 407 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page