Do I need new Monotubes? - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Do I need new Monotubes?

I took the bike out for a little 100 mile spin this morning. First time on the bike since lumbar decompression. Did so with the surgeon's blessing. His advise when asked if it was ok to ride? "Don't fall off." Funny guy! During the ride I noticed that the expansion joints, small potholes, and general crappy Tucson road conditions produced a rougher ride than usual. When I arrived home I zip tied the forks and attempted to compress them with the front brake applied. 1 1/2" movement before bottoming out. I rolled the bike down hill and hammered the front brake. Identical result. I'm 260 lbs and the spacers used are 3/16" on both sides. It seems to me that there should be more travel. What say you, monotube users? TIA

DARKSIDER #604
(FORMERLY AzMac)
MICHELIN PRIMACY ALPIN
YOKO AVID ENVIGOR
28 PSI
2009 Level 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 05:26 PM
Seasoned Member

I had mine go that way last year. Progressive replaced them. I assumed mine were from an original 'bad' batch as I think they were 1st generation (2012). Mine had 1 1/4" of travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Honda GL1800
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic (sold)
1983 Suzuki GS850G (sold)
1982 Yamaha Vision 550 (sold)

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 06:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Solo, your present suspension up front is OE, right? Your OE springs may be sacked-out; that is, deformed to where they are shorter than minimum spec length. Mine did that back in 2003 or 2004 with only 12,000 miles, which I hope is unusual and that all of the OE springs are not so poorly made. I used new OE refurbish parts, medium weight fluid from BullDog, and Progressive brand springs (no monotubs). I also deactivated the Anti Dive. Great ride that was still great at 70,000 when I had the original Traxxion Full Monty.

So, you have choices. MonoTubes get generally good reviews. You can do as I did. You can install linear springs with a refurbish. You can go big time with Tra$$ion. Any big improvement up front needs a good fresh or upgraded rear suspension. Similar choices there too.

In the mean time, to give your back a break from the rough bottoming, run front tire at Honda spec pressure and to H377 with the shorter tire life. Once you beef-up the front, you can nix that AD temporarily to see if you prefer that or not,

prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

prs and all. I Neglected to mention I am running 1st generation Monotubes installed in 2012. My question remains...shouldn't I be seeing more than 1 1/2" of travel in the forks? Thanks.

DARKSIDER #604
(FORMERLY AzMac)
MICHELIN PRIMACY ALPIN
YOKO AVID ENVIGOR
28 PSI
2009 Level 1
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I suspect that's what I may end up doing too, edmKC. Thanks

DARKSIDER #604
(FORMERLY AzMac)
MICHELIN PRIMACY ALPIN
YOKO AVID ENVIGOR
28 PSI
2009 Level 1
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 08:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmKC View Post
I had mine go that way last year. Progressive replaced them. I assumed mine were from an original 'bad' batch as I think they were 1st generation (2012). Mine had 1 1/4" of travel.

Mine locked up in 2015. Went back to Rocky and had the Version 3's put in. They been working great since.

'04 Titanium ABS
Double Darksider
IBA #22990

Last edited by Clamper; 05-09-2016 at 08:08 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloWing View Post
I took the bike out for a little 100 mile spin this morning. First time on the bike since lumbar decompression. Did so with the surgeon's blessing. His advise when asked if it was ok to ride? "Don't fall off." Funny guy! During the ride I noticed that the expansion joints, small potholes, and general crappy Tucson road conditions produced a rougher ride than usual. When I arrived home I zip tied the forks and attempted to compress them with the front brake applied. 1 1/2" movement before bottoming out. I rolled the bike down hill and hammered the front brake. Identical result. I'm 260 lbs and the spacers used are 3/16" on both sides. It seems to me that there should be more travel. What say you, monotube users? TIA
My 1st Gen. monotubes locked up after 12K miles. Really noticeable hitting the dip at the bottom of the driveway, they wouldn't compress much at all. I'm about same weight as you and had 1 spacer installed. Pulled them out, shipped back in original box, took exactly 3 weeks to get the replacements.

Western Pennsylvania Native

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 415 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page