Sena catching up? Bluetooth with CB through the headset? - GL1800Riders
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Sena catching up? Bluetooth with CB through the headset?

For those who use or want to use bluetooth headsets it looks like Sena has finally realized there's a giant Goldwing and Harley market. It's not available yet but I was looking at their website and found this:

http://www.sena.com/product/freewire/

Here's the description:
When you connect the FreeWire to your Harley-Davidson or Honda Gold Wing, you can utilize all of the bike’s infotainment features that you love – WIRELESSLY! Communicate via CB radio, hear turn-by-turn directions from the GPS system, rock out to your favorite radio stations and so much more – all through your Bluetooth headset. Use an additional FreeWire for your passenger to talk over the motorcycle’s internal intercom system – All with the wireless freedom you’ve been longing for.

I've been using J&M's bluetooth dongle with the Sena 20s for over a year and they work really well on the wing but it won't let you transmit to the CB through the headset. If that works on the Sena unit and it's stereo sound it should be a pretty big seller. Not sure I really have a use for a CB on the wing so not sure I'd make the switch now. I drive a Jeep and the only time I turn the CB on is when I'm with others playing in the desert.
jasnmar and Happytrails like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Seasoned Member

That's awesome. I'm currently using the Sierra Bluetooth wiring harness for CB use with my Sena 20S headset, but it's a bit clunky in operation.

~ Ron
2016 Metallic Gray/Black ABS (level 3)
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Well that looks promisingly slick. Timing is perfect, as I just pulled the trigger on a BT dongle from Amazon to make my DIY CB TX hack a la wingwing. Literally an hour ago, so as you were posting this. Though with the water already under my bridge, I'd carry on that course anyway.

I just scanned the listing at the link. Intrigued by the power bits -- a) on/off with the bike, and b) (not sure) able to charge from the bike without the feedback problem of the SM10. Downside seems to be that the passenger needs their own, though perhaps that's only to talk on the CB and it may transmit to two A2DPs like the SM10 does. I didn't see clearly what the deal is there.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:55 PM
Seasoned Member

What's the process for using a SENA 10U (installed in a Schuberth lid)? Does it work the same as the SENA 20?

1983 Classic H-D Blue GL1100 Goldwing, 2002 Hot Rod Yellow GL1800A Goldwing, 2003 Candy Red VTX1800 Retro

Last edited by Gary in Indiana; 06-03-2016 at 08:08 PM.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 05:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
This looks promising!!!! Thanks for alerting us @jeshepar
Might be the perfect solution for those of us with Bluetooth helmets and OEM CB radio
Apatz likes this.

Current ride: 2010 Black GL1800 XM/Navi/Comfort (69,000 (s)miles)
Rear: Michelin Primacy Alpin ZP 195/55/R16 @29psi +3oz. DynaBeads
Front: Bridgestone BattlAx BT-45H @41psi +2oz. DynaBeads & weights
DOUBLE Darksider #
Previous rides: 2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800A, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak (1600cc), 2005 SeaDoo GTX PWC, 1985 Honda V45 Sabre (750cc), 1981 Honda Big Red ATV (200cc), 1975 Honda CB360T, 1971 Kawasaki F7 Enduro (175cc), 1968 Briggs & Stratton 3HP mini bike
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Indiana View Post
What's the process for using a SENA 10U (installed in a Schuberth lid) to pick up the bike's radio wirelessly? The SENA had built in FM but, I like baseball games on AM and they lack AM.
Question is...just how big of a baseball fan are you.
Here's what I have:
http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....MBT-DNG22-A2DP
It's super easy to install and pair to. Mine is in the left pocket. Now the heartbreaker. It's 400 bucks and you need a $120 connection harness from them also.

I went ahead and did it when I got my wing (with XM and GPS) over a year ago because I already had another bike with BT XM radio and GPS that I don't plan to get rid of. I think the Sierra setup is mono music and it's a bit awkward. I hope the Sena unit comes out at a reasonable price. Until then there's no real competition for J&M.

I used to have a sailboat. Every upgrade started at $1000. At least the wing is a little better.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 05:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Indiana View Post
What's the process for using a SENA 10U (installed in a Schuberth lid) to pick up the bike's radio wirelessly? The SENA had built in FM but, I like baseball games on AM and they lack AM.
Get an SM10 and the adapter for the Honda 5-pin DIN to get bike audio out from the driver's wired headset stub. All in, about $140. Mount in left pocket. And if you don't already have one, get a USB external battery / power pack ($15-$25) so you can charge the SM10 when it gets low, since it buzzes when you try to run it with it plugged into the 12V socket.
Gary in Indiana likes this.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bird View Post
And if you don't already have one, get a USB external battery / power pack ($15-$25) so you can charge the SM10 when it gets low, since it buzzes when you try to run it with it plugged into the 12V socket.
Using a ground loop noise isolator will get rid of the buzzing from the SM10 when plugged into a 12v socket:
http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-...ilpage_o03_s01
Works perfectly with my SM10 in the left cubby, though does take a little extra room. Looks like the Freewire won't need to go this route, though I am curious how it'll plug into the bike's power.
Apatz likes this.

~ Ron
2016 Metallic Gray/Black ABS (level 3)
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
^ I've used that exact same one. Didn't work for me. Though come to think of it now, there's a twist....

1) I used it between the GPS output and the SM10 input, to try to get rid of the buzz from GPS. Initially, was putting the GPS into the GL2Way CB 2nd radio input, the noise was enough to always trigger the CB RX and suppress all bike audio. Next, tried the GPS via that isolator into the SM10 aux input, still triggered the SM10 aux audio suppression but just some of the time, not all of the time. I'm not using either of those now, have the GPS tied into bike audio via the INT and AUX circuits.

2) I guess I could / should try that on the input between the Sena Goldwing 5-pin DIN adapter and the SM10. Maybe it will do the trick on the Sena charging ground loop, if not the one via the GPS. I'll probably try that in the near future.

How do you have it hooked up Rambler358?

BTW, the plug on my isolator is too fat to go into the weird little Sena weatherproof sockets. I wound up grinding some rubber off the isolator, though using one of the ancillary Sena cords as a jumper is probably a smarter idea.
1oldsoldier likes this.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler358 View Post
That's awesome. I'm currently using the Sierra Bluetooth wiring harness for CB use with my Sena 20S headset, but it's a bit clunky in operation.
Same here. Only thing out there for now.

2013 Comfort/Navi
Las Vegas, NV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page