WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 07:44 AM
Seasoned Member

I know a lot of Dual Sport guys are putting in HID's in place of their bulbs, both for visibility and/or bulb life.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hojo in SC
Iron Butt Association member 24485
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 04:33 PM
Seasoned Member

As far as just unplugging them that don't work with commercial trucks, if you have lights they have to work or you get a ticket.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 06:36 PM
Seasoned Member

I live just North of Sacramento and I am not required to have a motorcycle inspection. I believe it must be your local politicians that have that requirement. California is still nuts but hard to beat the climate.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 02:33 AM
Seasoned Member

I have to ask, since I've lived in Cali for 53yrs, and owned motorcycles for 40yrs of that 53... I've never had any inspection whatsoever, on any bike. I've bought/sold more then a dozen bikes over the years, from dealers and private parties... What am I missing here?

Those look to be stock halogen bulbs to me, I just replaced one a month ago.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 11:38 PM
Seasoned Member

I can understand the ban on the HID bulbs in the headlights as the reflectors were not designed and certified for them.

But I see absolutely no reason why the Kuryakan LEDs being a problem.

These are the lights that replace the trim pieces on the trunk and saddlebags, right?

Some beaurocrat with burr up his/her butt and nothing else to do but make other peoples' lives more difficult.

One good thing about Chicago living: The Police are too busy picking up bullet-riddled bodies to bother with silly traffic tickets!

2007 Comfort/Nav/ABS

Prior:
1993 ST1100
1983 CX650

I'll go totally green and give up my GoldWing when Al Gore gives up his charter jet.

Last edited by ChgoD; 10-02-2016 at 11:43 PM.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Yeah, I agree.

Anyway - Inspection tomorrow ..... so, if I have not missed anything tomorrow afternoon I can start putting stuff back together.

Here is the worst part of living in a trashed society like here in California - that I hadn't really realized until reading your comment, Ch:

You grow "used to the bureaucracy" and after a while simply bow down and comply. I know as much as you how absurd the "rule" is ... but my reaction wasn't to argue but just do what they wanted. That is really sick. I remember back in the days of the USSR going there and seeing the empty souls who just lived without complaining at how terrible their lives were. Never imagined the same sort of thing - lack of human will - would happen here in the good old USA. Of course, it's far less severe ... but the same kind of thing.

Like I said.... VOTE, and vote wisely! You do NOT want where you live to get as messed up as this state is!
William Anzik likes this.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 12:55 AM
DDL
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLblinded View Post
HID's must be self leveling in my state to be legal. Meaning a motorized adjusting system that keeps them properly aimed low enough to keep them out of oncoming drivers eyes.....

"Self Leveling"? leveling to what? Gravity? If it does that and you are going up a 6-8% incline, your headlights would aim down reducing your viability. Going down that same grade, you are now blinding the crap out of everyone going up. "Self Leveling" to the vehicle frame? Why, you aim the light where it needs to be and it stays there until you have damage to them or maybe remove them and reinstall them. There is no need to have electronics constantly monitoring the need to do nothing.

Enjoy!
Douglas
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 10:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDL View Post
"Self Leveling"? leveling to what? Gravity? If it does that and you are going up a 6-8% incline, your headlights would aim down reducing your viability. Going down that same grade, you are now blinding the crap out of everyone going up. "Self Leveling" to the vehicle frame? Why, you aim the light where it needs to be and it stays there until you have damage to them or maybe remove them and reinstall them. There is no need to have electronics constantly monitoring the need to do nothing.
OK, so self adjusting then? They are motorized and adjust to the load in the vehicle. 1 person-4 persons- a full trunk. AND they adjust over big bumps in the road. You do not just take out a screwdriver and aim them, you must take it to a dealer or service repair center that has equipment. Don't get me started on my lazer guided cruise control.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	150130

So again, HID's are legal in self adjustable housings only, state law? Federal law? IDK. Guys I know that have them in their bikes say that they adjust them manually to be legal, AND they have never been pulled over for it. But...
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Passed inspection after a few hiccups.

Asked the inspector about strip lights. He said:

If he caught that they were not stamped DOT Approved, it would cause a fail. The Kuryakyn tech rep laughed at me last week when I asked if, by chance, their strip lights were DOT Approved.

But the inspector said there was a reasonable chance he wouldn't catch it.

Anyway - that's the latest news from CommieFornia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page