Are these HID lights ? - Page 4 - GL1800Riders
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpweb View Post
It's just California = not for any rational or logical reason.

I called Kuryakyn Tech Support on the off chance their LED lighting stuff was DOT approved (and thus would "pass" the inspection). The tech guy said, and I quote: "just unplug the stuff - no state can fail you just because our lights are there but unplugged." Little does he know what it's like in a totalitarian state. The inspection place specifically told me I have to UNINSTALL these lights - unplugging them but leaving them installed will still lead to a "fail".

Just hope, guys, 'california' does not spread to other states and vote wisely. Vote. And vote wisely.
How are they gonna know they're there unless he's looking for wires? I say go get some of that Duplicolor paint that you can spray on and peel off later to cover over them making them look like special "trim" pieces.

Darksider #1358 Michelin Alpin 195/55-16
Watch these, America:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXGLbXXaEgc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CjNBvupzUM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Dollars to donuts your bike has a salvage title. Regardless of your vitriol, I think having a safety inspection on a salvaged vehicle is a good idea.

I remember the days when a good percentage of vehicles on the road were missing headlights or taillights. I'm much safer for this law.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Regarding the Kurys, call the inspector and get the number of the state regulator. Call him and explain the situation. I suspect he will give you a pass. I can see no valid reason why street legal and working equipment should need to be removed. BTW, skip your morning coffee. A calm demeanor goes a long way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpweb View Post
Yeah, I agree.

Anyway - Inspection tomorrow ..... so, if I have not missed anything tomorrow afternoon I can start putting stuff back together.

Here is the worst part of living in a trashed society like here in California - that I hadn't really realized until reading your comment, Ch:

You grow "used to the bureaucracy" and after a while simply bow down and comply. I know as much as you how absurd the "rule" is ... but my reaction wasn't to argue but just do what they wanted. That is really sick. I remember back in the days of the USSR going there and seeing the empty souls who just lived without complaining at how terrible their lives were. Never imagined the same sort of thing - lack of human will - would happen here in the good old USA. Of course, it's far less severe ... but the same kind of thing.

Like I said.... VOTE, and vote wisely! You do NOT want where you live to get as messed up as this state is!
I also lived in California for more than 40 years, owned nearly 10 bikes while there, and NEVER had any typeof inspection. I'm curious as to why you have to have one done in San Diego. I also had lots of LED's installed on one bike that I took to the Palm Springs Bike Rally and didn't have any problems.
Clamper likes this.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
I also lived in California for more than 40 years, owned nearly 10 bikes while there, and NEVER had any typeof inspection. I'm curious as to why you have to have one done in San Diego. I also had lots of LED's installed on one bike that I took to the Palm Springs Bike Rally and didn't have any problems.
Since the original poster hasn't responded to any direct questions in all the time this threads been here... One can only speculate...

San Diego has naval and military installations, and there's alot of people coming and going in that area... so it's just strictly a guess here that it was an out-of-state bike that someone was bringing into Cali, which would require inspection to register in Cali. That makes the most sense to me.... as I've also lived in Cali all my life, and never been subject to inspection on any of the dozen or so bikes I've owned.

However, with that said, I have a good friend that recently brought a newer KLR650 into Cali from Nevada(origin state of the bike). He bought it used and had to have inspection to register it in Cali under his name.... So the Wing was either bought or brought from out-of-state... safe bet there I would think if one was a gambling type.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page