More on self cancelling indicators - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
JW.
Seasoned Member

More on self cancelling indicators

Perhaps you folks know this but I didn't.

To start the story, I prevented my self cancelling functioning after a turn because it often left me in danger by cancelling wrongly. I did this by slackening the wee bolt on the finger which lies over the potentiometer on the lower end of the cancelling unit and turned the finger to the side and retightened the bolt. I've ridden for a few months like this and it's so much better it's staying.

However, the cancelling unit actually has a feature which is difficult to know when the cancelling is working as intended. We all know it's a pest to re-push the switch because the cancelling is too short, and we all know that the cancelling doesn't function below a certain speed. But what I've found, which is a helpful feature, is that while the flasher is on and you are travelling slowly, when you speed back up past the threshold the flasher cancels. So, entering a junction the flashers are on, make the turn and gun it up to speed the flashers turn off pretty smartly. Cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW. View Post
Perhaps you folks know this but I didn't.

However, the cancelling unit actually has a feature which is difficult to know when the cancelling is working as intended. We all know it's a pest to re-push the switch because the cancelling is too short, and we all know that the cancelling doesn't function below a certain speed. But what I've found, which is a helpful feature, is that while the flasher is on and you are travelling slowly, when you speed back up past the threshold the flasher cancels. So, entering a junction the flashers are on, make the turn and gun it up to speed the flashers turn off pretty smartly. Cool!
I'm not sure what you are describing. I thought the turn signal canceled after a lean in a turn or after a certain distance. I have never experienced any failure to cancel because of slow speeds.

Is this something unique to euro models?

Rayjoe
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
JW.
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjoe View Post
Is this something unique to euro models?

Rayjoe
No, I said above that I'd disabled the cancel after a turn function - ya musta missed it.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 02:49 PM
Seasoned Member

turn signal

Hi JW.

I'm still confused, but I've never been the sharpest tack in the box.

Ignoring the lean angle sensor function. Are you saying if I rode in a straight line at a slow speed the turn signal would not cancel?
I thought it had to do with traveling a certain distance. Then the signal would cancel automatically.

Thanks for your reply.

Rayjoe
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
JW.
Seasoned Member

Yes, if you rode in a straight line slowly it would not cancel. The lean angle sensor has nothing to do with the cancel function, it cancels by time at higher speeds or by turning the bars and then recentering them. The system does not care which way you turn the bars, it only knows they have been moved off centre and then straightened up again.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 04:54 PM
Seasoned Member

turn signals

I have to go try this!! It's always interesting to find something new!

Thanks again,

Rayjoe
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 05:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Uses the angle sensor for canceling after a turn

When at speed, Lane change will 'Auto cancel' after 7 seconds or 110 yards.

Manual cancel by pushing in on the switch. (pushing it in while in the centered position)

EDIT: Corrected angle sensor description

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

Last edited by Farmguy; 12-02-2016 at 10:24 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Yes, if you rode in a straight line slowly it would not cancel. The lean angle sensor has nothing to do with the cancel function, it cancels by time at higher speeds or by turning the bars and then recentering them. The system does not care which way you turn the bars, it only knows they have been moved off centre and then straightened up again.
angle sensor is the first item in the troubleshooting list for turn signals that do not cancel.

The second check is the speed sensor input.

"Turn signals do not cancel automatically
1. Angle Sensor Inspection
Check the angle sensor of the turn signal cancel unit (page 15-27).
Is the angle sensor in good condition?
NO – Faulty angle sensor.
YES – GO TO STEP 2.
2. Speed Pulse Signal Line Inspection
Check the speed pulse signal line of the turn signal cancel unit (page 15-26).
Is there normal pulse voltage?
NO – • Open or short circuit in the White/black wire between the turn signal cancel unit and
combination meter.
• Loose or poor contact of related connectors.
• Faulty combination meter.
YES – Faulty turn signal cancel unit."

EDIT : corrected angle sensor description

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

Last edited by Farmguy; 12-02-2016 at 10:24 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
JW.
Seasoned Member

The angle sensor referred to is the steering angle sensor not the bank angle sensor. It's on the bottom of the cancel unit. It's a potentiometer where the centre wiper is held still while the resistor part, held within the steering tree, is turned as the bars are turned.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
The angle sensor referred to is the steering angle sensor not the bank angle sensor. It's on the bottom of the cancel unit. It's a potentiometer where the centre wiper is held still while the resistor part, held within the steering tree, is turned as the bars are turned.
We have a winner!
Yes, you are correct. The lean angle sensor (sometimes called bank angle sensor) shuts the engine off in a tipover. The turns signals use a sensor in the steering stem to detect the position of the handlebars. When you exit a turn, and return the handlebars straight, the signals cancel.

The speed detection shuts off the timer below 30mph. Below 30 mph, the signals will only cancel after a turn.

Above 30 mph, the signals will cancel after they blink 11 times. Distance has nothing to do with it. It will be 11 blinks whether you are doing 50mph or 80 mph. (It is probably actually timed, not number of blinks, but I don't sit on the bike and count the seconds looking at my watch. I have only counted the number of blinks. Some bikes many blink faster or slower.

Honda may have altered the operation on later model bikes, but as far as I know, they all work the same.

I had built a delay timer a few years ago to increase the time interval, but it was too difficult to install, and I didn't want to deal with the support issues, not to mention liability if someone screwed up the install. I intended to look for a way to make it plug and play, but never found the time.

The short timer has become a non issue for me. I learned to hit the turn signal button again when I need longer signal time. It has become automatic. I do wish Honda would increase the interval. What they chose was kind of silly. But on my list of things that irritate me, it is pretty far down the list.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Last edited by LarryM; 12-02-2016 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page