Turning the valve stem 180 degrees? - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 05:32 PM
Seasoned Member

I ordered a FOBO Bike from Amazon in silver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0273.PNG
Views:	100
Size:	658.0 KB
ID:	163625  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 05:44 PM
JW.
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwinger
Aside from a complete removal and reinstallation, can that rear valve stem be rotated to point to the right ... i.e., "uphill when parked on the side-stand?

Thanks in advance,
Rick
If you use aluminium valves, yes you can mount front and rear valves pointing to the right hand side BUT, the rear one has to be angled to prevent it hitting the calliper. The space between the disc and the rim is limited for access to the valve cap so if you have fat fingers it may not work for you. Mine have been mounted this way for number of years.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 06:46 PM
Seasoned Member

I strongly urge you to get the "T" valves when you get the FOBO system. You will not only save on shipping, but you will have the "T" valves when you change tires. Once you add air, then let some out, then add more, you will want the "T" valve! Don't do like I did and forget the spare wheel in the garage!

As to which system: To my limited knowledge, there is only one system for m/c. There may be a trike option. If you pull a trailer, you could simply order 2 systems. (By now, they may offer that as an option.) When you set the trailer up on your phone, you would select a different m/c than one you own, or might own. You would have to keep it straight if the right side was "front" or "back" tire, though.

Buckskin a board member and sponsor, and sells these. He is also quite knowledgeable about them.
Shagmail likes this.

'08 Pearl White GL1800, ABS, NAV, '97 Bushtec Genesis, Pearl white.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

I noticed that the t-valve can be installed in a 11.3 mm or 8.3 mm hole with appropriate parts. I have not installed it yet. Which size hole do the goldwing wheels have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 06:33 AM
Seasoned Member

I have mine on an '08. I don't remember which hole Was used, but they installed with no problem.

'08 Pearl White GL1800, ABS, NAV, '97 Bushtec Genesis, Pearl white.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

I have but never installed the "T" valve stems for my FOBO Bike sensors. I already had metal stems, a 45 degree in front and short-straight on rear. With the FOBO sensors on the wheels I stopped loosing air by checking and adjusting all the time. Now I can typically go a month or two, maybe more without needing to touch anything - other than my phone - to monitor tire pressures.

On Sunday, the 11th I ordered a set as a Xmas gift direct from the manufacturer in Maylasia (T-stems included). On Tuesday, the 13th I got a shipping notice that listed 4 shippers, Maylasia, India, England and U.S. Oh well, my son will settle for a card under the tree telling him what's coming, right? Go the heck, Fedex was at my door with that package just 2 days later, Thursday, the 15th! Impressive.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 06:19 PM
Seasoned Member

checking air pressure

Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't it be easier to check on the centerstand?

Rayjoe
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 07:36 PM
Seasoned Member

The 1500 goldwing is to the right, but that means nothing here I think. But other than using the short straight stem, an angled stem could be turned inline with the wheel allowing access from either side. Even the 'T' valve could be mounted that way. I first saw this on some custom bikes and trikes at wingding once. Never thought of doing it myself. I just centerstand it.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 04:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
On the FOBO.....

Some of the car sets include a monitoring unit that works independently of your smartphone. And different sets have different max psi (bike, car, commercial, etc.). However, if you thread those needles, and the black vs. silver color options, it simply becomes a matter of how many sensors do you get for what price. I'm pretty sure they don't care if they came in a car, trike, or bike set. When you install the sensors, you tell them what they're on and where they are, and you can mix and match them as you see fit.

Metal valve stems are required. The T valves are a great "fix" for that if you don't have metal stems already. They are handy even if you do; you can wait to install them until next tire change. What they gain you is not having to remove the sensor to air up. The sensor comes with a little locknut to keep it secure, and it's a small bother to get through to air up. Others say don't bother with the locknut and then the T-valve is less benefit; I never thought of that up front, just put my locknut on like a good little boy. I have not heard of one flying off, but figure my ~$40-$50 sensor rates the help sticking around.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

I thought the locknut on the FOBO sensor was for security only, just to make them a bit harder to steal.

Stealing them would be a useless act - and, dangerous to the health and well being of the dude I catch on the ground next to my bike!

The app on my phone reported the sensor serial numbers to a registry on the Internet and locked them to use only with my phone. They can only be registered on another FOBO app if I "release" them on my phone first.

Without using the locknut (not needed IMHO), adding air is just as simple as removing a standard valve stem cap.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page