Torque wrench question - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Larry If i can help you, just give me a call (sometimes two heads are better then one) You know I don't mind giving you a helping hand "ever"!!!

Ronnie

O' by the way I got my bike back a couple of days ago...........She's now "the bionic three wheeler"
Wow! is she pretty!
i had the chance to ride her around the block, just to check it out.. (unregistered ) wow is a trike different.. I'm going to love it!!

Ronnie

Captron- Springfield, Massachusetts
I retired at 55 years old- no more boss
more time to motorcycle and complete the "honey do" list..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captron View Post
Larry If i can help you, just give me a call (sometimes two heads are better then one) You know I don't mind giving you a helping hand "ever"!!!

Ronnie

O' by the way I got my bike back a couple of days ago...........She's now "the bionic three wheeler"
Wow! is she pretty!
i had the chance to ride her around the block, just to check it out.. (unregistered ) wow is a trike different.. I'm going to love it!!

Ronnie
Doesn't the registration from when it was a two-wheeler simply carry over? I don't think you'd have to re-register if you add a sidecar...

'08 Pearl White Navi
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddpole View Post
Doesn't the registration from when it was a two-wheeler simply carry over? I don't think you'd have to re-register if you add a sidecar...
He turned his plates in to RMV following his medical issue since he knew he wouldn't be riding for several months.
Taddpole likes this.

greyhound
2002 Illusion Blue

No one on their death bed ever said "I wish I had spent more time at work".

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Guys if there is one thing I know , proper torque is proper torque. I don't care if its a 6 inch torque wrench or a 40 inch torque wrench. 25 ft lbs or 40 inch lbs or 15 nm is the same on a properly calibrated torque wrench no matter what size it is. And you can take that to the bank.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter F6B View Post
Guys if there is one thing I know , proper torque is proper torque. I don't care if its a 6 inch torque wrench or a 40 inch torque wrench. 25 ft lbs or 40 inch lbs or 15 nm is the same on a properly calibrated torque wrench no matter what size it is. And you can take that to the bank.
The tool for this job (please look at Waldos picture) extends the length at which the torque is applied. The resulting torque applied to the fastener system depends on the ratio of the torque wrench length to the length of the torque wrench+tool length.

Honda supplies both the torque they want applied to fastener and the torque that would display on the torque wrench (if 20" long) to achieve that torque on the fastener.

I believe they suggest the bar type to prevent the reduction in 'applied to fastener' vs 'displayed on wrench' that would occur if the wrench had a ratcheting head introduced and angle between wrench and tool, reducing the overall length of the torque arm. The effect of the angle was shown in the diagram that Gator had posted.

I agree, any length can be used but it will change the ratio between wrench reading and applied reading. As long as the torque arm length difference (due to the length of the arm on Honda's tool) is accounted for any torque wrench could be used. (but Honda only did the calc for a 20") .

If Honda's special tool fastened on the torque wrench directly under the square drive, like most other sockets, instead of using the extension arm, there would be no calculation's to do. (and this thread would not exist)

EDIT: They built the tool this way because during the tightening sequence it is necessary for a socket to be used at the same time as the 'special tool'.

(pic on 14-28 of the same version of service manual)
JGDJR likes this.

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

Last edited by Farmguy; 01-08-2017 at 01:55 AM.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:30 AM
Seasoned Member

For what it is worth here is a link to a torque calculator that could be very helpful.

http://www.cncexpo.com/TorqueAdapter.aspx

Interesting results if you do the calculation with the "A" value at 0 degrees and then do it again at 90 degrees, the set value for the wrench changes, proves that what I was taught about putting a crowsfoot or extension adapter at 90 degrees was correct.

Steve Kowalcky
Edgewater, FL
Florida Prowler # 46250

The Lord said; "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

My therapist's name is Dr. Goldwing, she has the antidote for the blues.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Follow up question about proper torque procedure:

I today checked torque on the swingarm bearings following the procedure posted by Larry Price in the "How To" forum and steps outlined in the Honda shop manual. My '02 has about 80k miles. Torquing the left side to 25 ft lbs resulted in an additional 1/8 turn from original position; none on the right.

My question is: does ambient air temp come into play when reading torque? I'm wondering if the 32 degree temp in my garage would have effected torque reading on the pivot bolts. Lock nut torque would not appear to be nearly as important.

How about it torque experts? Is ambient temp an issue to consider?

greyhound
2002 Illusion Blue

No one on their death bed ever said "I wish I had spent more time at work".
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Larry I just read what you texted me and you said that the job was finished, was the torque off or A-ok on your bike?? Keep me posted please! If you need any help you know I'm here for you!

Ronnie

Captron- Springfield, Massachusetts
I retired at 55 years old- no more boss
more time to motorcycle and complete the "honey do" list..........
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
I today checked torque on the swingarm bearings following the procedure posted by Larry Price in the "How To" forum and steps outlined in the Honda shop manual. My '02 has about 80k miles. Torquing the left side to 25 ft lbs resulted in an additional 1/8 turn from original position; none on the right.

My question is: does ambient air temp come into play when reading torque? I'm wondering if the 32 degree temp in my garage would have effected torque reading on the pivot bolts. Lock nut torque would not appear to be nearly as important.

How about it torque experts? Is ambient temp an issue to consider?
You don't need to be worried about the 32F.

But I'm curious why you didn't pick a nicer day.

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLEJOHN View Post
IF YOU PUT A 2 FOOT PIPE ON IT IT'LL " TIGHTEN "RITE UP FOR YA !!
Real men don't need no stinkin torque wrench. Just use the German torque method.....goot-n-tight.
Okay that's my last for today.
Clamper and Farmguy like this.

Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 55,500 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
Central CA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page