Torque wrench question - GL1800Riders
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Torque wrench question

I am preparing to check swingarm pivot bolt torque. Reviewing the shop manual Section 14 it states "when using the lock nut wrench, use a deflecting beam type torque wrench 20 inches long". Got me to wondering:

1. Why wouldn't ANY type torque wrench be ok for this procedure? Is it something to do with using the lock nut wrench?

2. Why 20" specified? i.e. wouldn't a SHORTER or LONGER wrench get the job done properly?

greyhound
2002 Illusion Blue

No one on their death bed ever said "I wish I had spent more time at work".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Maybe they found that the 20" was the most accurate.
The beam type torque wrenches do not seem to go out of calibration as do clicker type,don't know about the digital ones..
Just my thoughts and opinion.

2007 silver gl1800 premium audio
Darkside#748
kumho ecsta rf
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Honda was probably worried that their dealership trained technician might be prone to grab a hulking wrench with a designed range far exceeding the target torque. Consider the technician will have a heavier wrench on hand due to the high spec at the right side that is too large for the lower reading. Most torque wrenches, even when in calibration, yield reliable results chiefly in the upper 60% to 90% of their range; or so I have been told. I am not sure of the 20" beam length spec, except that is about how long low middle range beam wrenches are, so again, it may be to keep that 17 year-old freckle faced kid from grabbing a wrench with a face reading "0 to 250" pound feet. The spec for the engine mount tension is even less and call for a tiny beam type wrench. I would follow the shop annual advice on this one. I have wondered if we can reliably adjust the preload on those bearings with the suspension spring and wheel/tire attached. Probably much better than riding wit loose or tight setting, we may never know as it would be a royal PIA to check just to see.

prs
cycledude likes this.

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Seasoned Member

I believe that torque wrenches are calibrated based on the length of the wrench and they also may recommend that you place your hand in the exact spot on the handle that they recommend, based on their calibration.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hojo in SC
Iron Butt Association member 24485
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Seasoned Member

IF YOU PUT A 2 FOOT PIPE ON IT IT'LL " TIGHTEN "RITE UP FOR YA !!

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Bit of truth in all of the above. Length of wrench does not matter - the scale imprinted on the wrench is based on the length of the wrench. Whether you use a 6 inch or 6 foot, the scaling will be accurate for that wrench. Torque wrenches are calibrated from 20% to 100% of the full range value. They are traditionally more prone to being/staying accurate over the middle of the range. Beam types maintain accuracy longer, I've got one that is 50 years old that is still accurate (I used to calibrate torque wrenches). Clicker (impulse) styles are more prone to lose accuracy over time. On any click-style wrench, lower the torque setting to minimum when finished using it to maintain longevity and accuracy.

Most wrenches have a basic accuracy of 4% clockwise, 6% counter-clockwise. Use too big of a wrench, not enough resolution to see fine toque values and over-torque the fastener. Too small - too easy to exceed the torque range of the wrench.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:29 PM
Seasoned Member

I think it's because the special tool that is used with the wrench does not place the end of the torque wrench over the centre of the nut as it would with a normal socket.

The special tool adds a few inches to the length of the torque wrench (torque arm length), so rather than working at 20", it is working at 22 or 23 (or whatever the 'special tool' adds)

Perhaps someone can post a picture from the manual that shows the wrench on the tools (someday I'll figure out how to copy pics from the manual; it's on page 15-27 of the electronic manual published in about 07 )

the accompanying torque spec says:

TORQUE: Actual: 108 Nm (11.0 kgfm, 80 lbfft)
Indicated: 98 Nm (10.0 kgfm, 72 lbfft)

The difference in the two ( 72 indicated vs 80 ft-lb actual) is due to the ratio of the length of the torque wrench to the length of the wrench+tool that is being used to apply the torque.

(again, a picture is worth a 1000 (or more) words -- if someone has the method to post the pic figured out)

EDIT: I don't think the important part is the beam, but rather that the wrench does not have a ratcheting head. Not having a ratcheting head ensures that the torque wrench stays directly in line with the 'special tool', so that the ratio of the indicated and actual does not change.
231wingman likes this.

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

Last edited by Farmguy; 01-05-2017 at 04:34 PM.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 07:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Her ya go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	166465  

'06 Chrome on Black on Black
#notmypresident
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmguy View Post
I think it's because the special tool that is used with the wrench does not place the end of the torque wrench over the centre of the nut as it would with a normal socket.

The special tool adds a few inches to the length of the torque wrench (torque arm length), so rather than working at 20", it is working at 22 or 23 (or whatever the 'special tool' adds)

Perhaps someone can post a picture from the manual that shows the wrench on the tools (someday I'll figure out how to copy pics from the manual; it's on page 15-27 of the electronic manual published in about 07 )

the accompanying torque spec says:

TORQUE: Actual: 108 Nm (11.0 kgfm, 80 lbfft)
Indicated: 98 Nm (10.0 kgfm, 72 lbfft)

The difference in the two ( 72 indicated vs 80 ft-lb actual) is due to the ratio of the length of the torque wrench to the length of the wrench+tool that is being used to apply the torque.

(again, a picture is worth a 1000 (or more) words -- if someone has the method to post the pic figured out)

EDIT: I don't think the important part is the beam, but rather that the wrench does not have a ratcheting head. Not having a ratcheting head ensures that the torque wrench stays directly in line with the 'special tool', so that the ratio of the indicated and actual does not change.
Yup. Agree - I think you came up with the answer in your edit.
JGDJR likes this.

greyhound
2002 Illusion Blue

No one on their death bed ever said "I wish I had spent more time at work".

Last edited by greyhound; 01-05-2017 at 08:09 PM.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Waldo and Gator, thanks for the assist with the pic and the calcs sheet

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page