Alternator Malarky - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Ok,
Since no one's asked. Has anyone analyzed whether or not, the waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper versions are every bit the same EXACT part, function, design, fit as the waaaaaaaaaaay more expensive ones? And if so, why in the world would anyone pay the higher price if, they could get one that will fit the bill, without issue?
Scott

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it

Scott & Karla
Dark Sider 556
KI6OND 73s
Lake Havasu City AZ
'08 Level II Caliente Red Metallic
'02 Level I Stream Silver Metallic GW 1800
'94 Glacier Pearl White SE GL 1500
'85 1200 Aspencade
'84 1200 Interstate
RETIRED, 29.5 YEARS, SDFD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Many guys have used the cheap ones and had them fail in a couple thousand miles. Hard to know which ones are good vs no good. When and if mine ever goes bad I will try the brushes first and if that doesn't work go with the factory Honda. I went through the junk alternator too many times in cars. So much junk sold at lower prices.
Rebuilt is another option you never know. I was in TV repair business for 34yrs and buying rebuilt boards I remember getting 12 bad ones in a row once. I rarely rely on rebuilt anything now unless I do it myself.
CAWing likes this.
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:58 AM
Seasoned Member

About time you guys paid more ha ha about $1400 AUD for a 06 ALT here

post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Just for kicks, comparison and inquisitiveness, doesn't HARLEY use just a stator for it's electronics and battery charging? If so, what kind of prices are we talking for say, a replacement Stator for one of those?
Scott

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it

Scott & Karla
Dark Sider 556
KI6OND 73s
Lake Havasu City AZ
'08 Level II Caliente Red Metallic
'02 Level I Stream Silver Metallic GW 1800
'94 Glacier Pearl White SE GL 1500
'85 1200 Aspencade
'84 1200 Interstate
RETIRED, 29.5 YEARS, SDFD

post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:23 AM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

2 replies were deleted due to political statements .
I understand the political uneasiness of many people around the world . But we need to keep it off this forum . Please refrain from making any political statements here. If you feel the need to vent , pm me and vent all ya want . This is an altenator thread on a motorcycle forum , just sayin.
Rail aka the nun with a ruler
CAWing, Farmguy, WingWing and 3 others like this.

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:28 AM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee Fifty View Post
I had a similar experience with my pinzgauer army truck.... I smoked my alternator and mechanically damaged a circuit card in it.... new alternators from suppliers were $1500.... it was a 24 V Bosch.... I took it to a a guy here in Tucson that's been rebuilding alternators and starters for generations.... he told me no problem.... he said very rarely he can't get parts.... and he can rewind the stators and coils if needed. .... he called me back the next day and quoted a $80 price and he would have it done in 5 days.... if I wanted it in 2 days I would have to pay overnight fed ex delivery charges for the parts....

It looked every bit like brand new when I picked it up...... I would never hesitate to have one rebuilt by a rebuilder if you can afford the inconvenience of time.

I don't think there is anything special about a goldwing alternator..... have it rebuilt.
The only special I know of is the drive splined shaft is hard to get it bench tested after it is rebuilt . I have rebuilt 3 of them over the years I need known to hang with this wing crowd. I have a cheapy Chinese one that I use as a spare while the OEM one got repaired . 12,000 miles on it ( which is nothing , I know) I do not trust it , but it makes for a cheap spare . Bearings , brushes were of i remember correctly was like $80 a couple years ago ,,,I think .

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail32 View Post
2 replies were deleted due to political statements .
I understand the political uneasiness of many people around the world . But we need to keep it off this forum . Please refrain from making any political statements here. If you feel the need to vent , pm me and vent all ya want . This is an altenator thread on a motorcycle forum , just sayin.
Rail aka the nun with a ruler
I apologize Rail, but you missed or overlooked or had forbearance of my political comment. I will go back to my page one posting and edit to eliminate politics. Thanks!

prs
megatwin and Rail32 like this.

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:34 AM
Seasoned Member

It appears that Fred mentioned the price increase so promptly, that even some of our retail suppliers did not have the increase updates yet. Maybe the aftermarket will respond, maybe not. There is a rebuilder who used to post or advertise here and some of our members liked his work. I forget the name. I seem to forget a lot......... uh, er, what were we discussing..?
prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail32 View Post
I have rebuilt 3 of them over the years I need known to hang with this wing crowd. I have a cheapy Chinese one that I use as a spare while the OEM one got repaired . 12,000 miles on it ( which is nothing , I know) I do not trust it , but it makes for a cheap spare . Bearings , brushes were of i remember correctly was like $80 a couple years ago ,,,I think .
How did you get the rear bearing out of the alternator casing?

GL1800 Maintenance Videos - 20 Disc Set

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Dealer/Installer

Follow Me on Facebook

Last edited by Fred H.; 01-07-2017 at 10:56 AM.
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:58 AM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Alternator Malarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
How did you get the rear bearing out of the alternator casing?

Being I have a machinist background with a heavy maintenance tech at same machine shop , I got lots of stuff. Aka I am tool rich . Internal bearing puller . What can also be done is using the right concrete anchor with expandable wedge type base and use a pipe and washers to pry it up. Let me google to see of I can find a pix of both . As its way too cold to walk out to the shop up here . Like -10 below an hour ago.
Give me a few seconds for pix .

I guess real name is blind bearing slide hammer . All I know for a fact is I paid snap on dealer $200 for it many years ago . This is closet Google pix I could find quickly for ya Fred.

Last edited by Rail32; 01-07-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page