Final Drive Questions - GL1800Riders
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Farmguy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Final Drive Questions

I had to remove the final drive in order to replace the boot on the drive shaft and have two questions for the experts in wrenching.

1. I can't get a torque wrench with a socket on the nuts that bolt the final drive to the swing arm. All the sockets I can find are too deep, I could "wing it" (pun intended) and cinch them down with a box end but wondering what you guys have in the tool chest to accomplish the task.
2. I have lithium grease with moly in the garage. Are there any issues in using that type of grease to lube the splines on the drive shaft or do I need to use a different grease. I hate to buy a big tube that is going to sit on the shelf for 5 years so if a different grease must be used any suggestions where I can buy a small tube or jar.

Thanks Guys.

DaveJ
Tellico Village
Silver 2002 GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Like you said snug it down with a box end wrench.

You need the moly (paste I believe) called for in the shop manual. The lithium with moly is for wheel bearings and chaises.

01 yellow

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

Prowler #109
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Moly is the correct grease for splines.

Manual has both moly grease and moly paste listed in the front, but calls for the grease on the splines.
"Use molybdenum disulfide grease (containing more than 3% molybdenum disulfide, NLGI #2 or equivalent)."

Torque is simply a force x a distance.

Example:

60 lbs at 12" (60 ft-lb or 720 in-lb) is the same as 90 lb at 8" (90 x 8 = 720 in-lb, and 720/12 = 60 ft/lb)

You could is a wrench of a known length and a fish scale. (be sure that the scale is 90* to the wrench)

Or as you suggested, estimate the length of the wrench and estimate how hard you are pulling on it ( wing-it..) Kinda depends on your your comfort level winging-it.
Pigeon Roost likes this.

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

Last edited by Farmguy; 01-10-2017 at 05:21 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Seasoned Member

The lithium complex with moly grease (usually 3 to 5 percent) is great for the splines. The high percentage moly paste is listed on the products page of my service manual, but I can not remember seeing any application for it on the wing. On the VTX and similar Honda big bikes the paste is used on the rear wheel bushings, but the design of those finals is different.

For high speed ball or roller bearings, and universal joint bearing moly greases are no longer recommended by some sources. The theory or premise is that the moly will allow the balls, or pins, or rollers "skid" instead of roll. Maybe, maybe not. Grease with moly is great for sliding joints and high pressure joints.

prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thanks guys, I also found the specs for the moly grease after I posed the question. The grease I have does not pass muster but Oreilly's has some in stock that meets the specs. As far as the torque wrench goes, guess I have to buy a new fish scale. Mine only goes up to 20 lbs.

DaveJ
Tellico Village
Silver 2002 GL1800
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:04 PM
Seasoned Member

If ya don't torque it to hondas specs as your book tells you as your driving down the road. The. Wheel. Will fly. Off "and pass you up". . Crank it down with. Box wrench. N ride it.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

You could use the combination wrench as an "offset" for your torque wrench. Put the box end on the nut. Thread and lock a nut and bolt of the appropriate size together and slide the nut into the open end of the wrench. Put your torque wrench on that bolt.

The setting for the torque wrench needs adjusted down to account for the length of the offset. That can be calculated here:

http://www.cncexpo.com/TorqueAdapter.aspx

Me? I probably just wing-it.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:13 AM
Seasoned Member

No-no-no, you pull the swing arm out of the bike to torque those bolts with home tools. Then you have lots of room to get at them. Just kidding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page