Major pre-trip maintenance - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

For security sake, you may want to consider a couple of MasterCard/Visa/American Express gift cards with $250 to $500 so that your card is skimmed, especially at a gas pump, the bad guy(s) won't get access to your whole bank account. The cards can be reloaded if necessary and the peace of mind I get from using those cards as opposed to my main debit or credit card on the road is great.

Florida Prowler #745

Navy & Viet Nam Veteran

Previous Rides:
'69 BSA 650 Lightning
'79 Honda CB 650
'82 Suzuki GS 1100L
'84 GL 1200 Goldwing
'86 GL 1200 Aspencade

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLawDawg View Post
For security sake, you may want to consider a couple of MasterCard/Visa/American Express gift cards with $250 to $500 so that your card is skimmed, especially at a gas pump, the bad guy(s) won't get access to your whole bank account. The cards can be reloaded if necessary and the peace of mind I get from using those cards as opposed to my main debit or credit card on the road is great.
I think this is a great idea. I always take multiple cards, but I really like this.

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Centramatics, Traxxion AK20s and Triple Tree WindBender w/rake
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:

Good idea but I am not liable for any fraudulent charges on my cards.
231wingman and Kenichi like this.

later...Randy
2005 Billet Silver ABS

....... 1967-1971......

Proud Member Of The PGR
Since 2006

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
If you're using a debit card, STOP. Do what you just described, or do something else. Good idea.

I've got plenty of credit cards so I just bring a couple of them. Absolutely at risk of them cutting out at any time. However, like INTHEWIND, I have no concern about liability for fraudulent chargers, so why bother with those prepaid cards and the hassle of keeping track of them? Bigger risk for me of losing the money I dumped into them.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Plastic is good, but there are times when cash works soooooo much more better. Stash $100-$200, assorted denominations, on your bike, and leave it there, even after your trip. You never know when you may leave your wallet at home, or loose it.

'08 Pearl White GL1800, ABS, NAV, '97 Bushtec Genesis, Pearl white.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
What about valves?. I ck mine at 40000 and two needed adjusting.

Ride AR
JSR
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:05 AM

Get out your Allen wrenches and 17 mil wrenches and check the tightness on every nut and bolt you can.buy your self a small air compressor and tire plug kit.slime has a good one for about $30.put the TripAdvisor app on your phone for good restaurants and motels in any town you go to.have a fun and safe trip
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
That is a great idea.
I just never thought of this.
I am going to use this tip from now on.

Doug

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
That is a great idea.
I just never thought of this.
I am going to use this tip from now on.

Doug
I was going to do that for my life. Amex has a personalized pre-paid card that works just like any other. I figured I could separate my deposits from my day to day purchases and expenses. They had a max deposit of their pre-paid card of like 2 grand if i remember right. I was like, ehhh that doesnt make sense. I've since stopped trying to live by that since most banks have fraud protection...but still it would be nice to have that segregation.

Rain Rain Go Away,
So I can ride another day.
Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Credit card discussions are technically off topic. The OP is looking for preventative maintenance. Credit cards only help after the bike breaks down.

But since it was brought up, I do agree. Stop using Debit cards if you use them. I only use mine at my bank's ATM. In fact, most banks offer ATM only cards in lieu of debit cards. They are much safer.

I do not agree with using prepaid credit cards or gift cards instead of standard cards. If you lose them, or get robbed, you lose whatever value is on those cards. Large amounts of cash is just as bad, but you do have to have some cash for times when you can't use a card. With a standard card, you don't lose anything financially.

The only drawback with cards is that if you don't have a history of using your cards out of town, you are likely to trip fraud alerts at the credit card company, and possibly getting them cut off. I have seen it happen quite often. They say you should call the CC company to let them know you are going to be traveling, but I can't help wonder if that isn't risky too.
Derick likes this.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page