BatterySharks? Experience? - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
6 months; and I'm not positive that it's a YTX20L-BS. They call it a "compatible replacement" and the listing cites specifications for a STX20L-BS.

I now thinking I don't want to take a chance here. Looks a little sketchy.
This battery will turn the 1800 over with no problem. Might be a bit pricey for some, but it has 375 CCA and two year warranty.

http://bikemaster.com/batteries/lith...n-battery.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 02:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
This battery will turn the 1800 over with no problem. Might be a bit pricey for some, but it has 375 CCA and two year warranty.

http://bikemaster.com/batteries/lith...n-battery.html
Unless they've made some changes, this is not a good battery for cold climates. I took a yuuuuuge bath on getting one and then selling at a great discount to someone in the south.
Fender60 likes this.

'06 Chrome on Black on Black
#notmypresident
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
Unless they've made some changes, this is not a good battery for cold climates. I took a yuuuuuge bath on getting one and then selling at a great discount to someone in the south.
True, the earlier lithium iron phosphate batteries did not do well when it got cold. One had to "wake" them up when it got cold, i.e. turn headlight on for a minute or so before cranking. Of course if your headlight does not come on until after the bike is started, that won't work.

The technology has improved resulting in far better cold weather performance. The Bikemaster lithium battery for my bike has 675 CCA at minus 18 deg C (-0.4 deg. F) compared to 405 CCA for the stock AGM battery.
Weege likes this.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 04:43 PM
Supporting Vendor

The early model GL1800's all used 18 AH batteries (2001-2008 ). Even though the Yuasa part number was YTX20L-BS, if you looked up the specs, it actually was an 18 AH battery. In 2009 Honda switched to the GYZ20L series batteries which are 20 amp hour batteries.
greyhound likes this.

GL1800 Maintenance Videos - 20 Disc Set

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Dealer/Installer

Follow Me on Facebook
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:42 PM
Seasoned Member

This thread is right on time for me. My 2012 Wing failed to start today because the battery has give up the ghost. I cannot complain, it is the original battery, so 5yrs isn't too bad.

I am bit skeptical about the BatteryShark battery but would like to know if Yusa is a decent brand? No way am I spending over $200.00 for a LithiumIon battery either. Just would like something will fit correctly, have the correct specs, and not break the bank. What are the suggestions from you guys on this?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
USAF 1982 - 2008 Retired
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender60 View Post
This thread is right on time for me. My 2012 Wing failed to start today because the battery has give up the ghost. I cannot complain, it is the original battery, so 5yrs isn't too bad.

I am bit skeptical about the BatteryShark battery but would like to know if Yusa is a decent brand? No way am I spending over $200.00 for a LithiumIon battery either. Just would like something will fit correctly, have the correct specs, and not break the bank. What are the suggestions from you guys on this?
I think most here would agree that Yuasa is an excellent choice based on performance. I'm going back to it if I find that the 2 year old AC Delco I last used is about to go bad. My previous 2 OE Yuasas averaged over 7 years of life and 35k miles before replacing.

Agree with you about BatteryShark. Think I'm going with Amazon and pay the price rather than take a chance.
Fender60 likes this.

greyhound
2002 Illusion Blue

No one on their death bed ever said "I wish I had spent more time at work".
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:24 PM
Seasoned Member

This battery will turn the 1800 over with no problem. Might be a bit pricey for some, but it has 375 CCA and two year warranty. This same battery is available on Amazon for $144.23 with free shipping, just sharring info. BikeMaster DLFP-20HL-BS Lithium-Ion Battery - One Size

Darkside Rider #1215

195-55-R16 Michelin Primacy HP ZP

Last edited by Clancy,MJC; 03-19-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: incorrect price
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
An interesting overview of the Lithium Ion Phospate battery technology.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lith...sphate_battery

Be mindfull of: The low maximum charging rate(s) of ~20 Amperes given the capabilities of the Charging System on most vehicles, our GoldWings included. Also a good thing, but bear in mind that the use of a Battery Tender might actually degrade these batteries over time. Not due to a high charging rate, but rather the persistance of a charge based on a lead/acid batteries dynamics that does not apply to these Lithium Ion Phosphate batteries.

Current Bikes:
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag

* 1971 Triumph Bonneville

Last edited by Bluehighways; 03-20-2017 at 02:51 AM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 AM
HPJ
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
The early model GL1800's all used 18 AH batteries (2001-2008 ). Even though the Yuasa part number was YTX20L-BS, if you looked up the specs, it actually was an 18 AH battery. In 2009 Honda switched to the GYZ20L series batteries which are 20 amp hour batteries.
Fred H.,

Will the 2010 Yuasa battery fit and work properly in 2001 - 2009?

Read in another thread where you posted it was a better more heavy duty constructed battery, and also talked about a Lithium Iron battery as well.

Please elaborate on your thoughts about both.

Thanks

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:23 PM
HPJ
Seasoned Member

Sam's Club use to sell Yuasa that came inside an Interstate Batteries box.

I have an lnterstate Batteries Store that is a distributor, and they "tell" me their battery is made by Yuasa, but there are no markings saying Yuasa on the battery. They do stock both the 270 cca and also the 310 cca version, and both are AGM.

Anyone know if thses Interstate GL1800 batteries are made by Yuasa?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page