BatterySharks? Experience? - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPJ View Post
Sam's Club use to sell Yuasa that came inside an Interstate Batteries box.

I have an lnterstate Batteries Store that is a distributor, and they "tell" me their battery is made by Yuasa, but there are no markings saying Yuasa on the battery. They do stock both the 270 cca and also the 310 cca version, and both are AGM.

Anyone know if thses Interstate GL1800 batteries are made by Yuasa?
Before I retired I was the supervisor for a County Agency and we had a fleet of about 600 vehicles. The state of CA had a contract with Interstate Batteries and we were able to purchase our batteries using the state discount. My first question to the district rep was who makes their motorcycle battery and his answer was Yuasa. We used the Interstate battery in 90% of our vehicles and that was the only battery I would use in my bikes and I never had a problem. I'm 100% satisfied with their quality and longevity. Yuasa builds them and puts an Interstate label on them.
Barrycuda67 likes this.

Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 55,500 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
Central CA.

Last edited by CAWing; 03-25-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 09:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Yuasa GYZ20L is the lowest operating cost per year battery I have ever run in a Goldwing. This is the original supplied battery in my 2010 Wing still going strong.
Rated at 20AH .........
Can't figure why another battery type or brand would be needed. For cost or longevity.
Sparky57 likes this.

2010 GL1800 Comfort & Audio

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 12:09 AM
HPJ
Seasoned Member

Ranch55,

Do you know anyone with a 2001 - 2008 GoldWing, or maybe a Honda Dealer where you could look at what the difference is in the battery cable ends to report back what, if anything, it will take to connect up a GYZ battery like is in your bike... to be able to connect your GYZ battery to the earlier 2001 - 2008 GoldWing please?

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 01:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Ranch55,

Do you know anyone with a 2001 - 2008 GoldWing, or maybe a Honda Dealer where you could look at what the difference is in the battery cable ends to report back what, if anything, it will take to connect up a GYZ battery like is in your bike... to be able to connect your GYZ battery to the earlier 2001 - 2008 GoldWing please?

In that case, I would use the Yuasa battery specific for that model year.

Yuasa YTX20L-BS

Almost the exact same battery, but fits those specific model year.
I ran that battery in my GL1200 Aspencade for 7 years with no problems.

All the discussion I see about the different batteries can be confusing. I use the best battery that has given me excellent service. Cost per year with the Yuasa AGM batteries almost always comes out to be the least expensive over the life cycle of the battery. And you get a top rated battery at the same time.

I had a Yuasa YTX14H-BS (AGM) original OEM in my 2001 Honda 500 Rubicon 4X4 Foreman that I only replaced for the first time last year in the fall.
Lowest cost per year battery I have ever had.

Look at the operating cost (cost per year) for the best price. Not the cheapest, lowest cost overall.

2010 GL1800 Comfort & Audio

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 01:45 PM
HPJ
Seasoned Member

The GYZ & YTX Batteries are the same physical size, same dimensions. But, it is a superior battery.

So, my question is...

Has anyone installed the better GZY Battery in place of the YTX Battery in a 2001 - 2008 GoldWing?

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The GYZ & YTX Batteries are the same physical size, same dimensions. But, it is a superior battery.

So, my question is...

Has anyone installed the better GZY Battery in place of the YTX Battery in a 2001 - 2008 GoldWing?

Yes, in my 2008, about three years ago without issue.

The one thing I do recall was that the new bolts supplied with the new battery were a hair too long. They would bottom out before the cable was tight to the post. I just used the original bolts and all was good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:49 PM
Seasoned Member

I am still running the original battery in my 2008 wing. Probably going to change it this year. I will buy another Yuasa battery.

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM
Seasoned Member

I ordered a battery for my Honda 78-CB750K from batterysharks to replace an 8yr old Powersonic whatever oddball it was from local place. Previous Powersonic only lasted 2yrs in another bike so you never know. I bought a Yuasa from the same place on the same day and it is still going after 8yrs. which is really odd for me to have 2 batteries last that long no matter what brand or how much i pay.

This Sigmas Tek from batterysharks weighs a pound more than the Powersonic and was 12.96V when i received it before i put a maintainer on it to make sure it was topped off. Weight wise it might meet the CCA at which it is rated for since it should have more plates in it.

I didn't want to spend too much for this old bike and will see how long this battery lasts to see if it is worth going cheap.
I ordered on a Friday and got it the following Friday.
$24.99
$9.30shipping
5% discount code = $32.62
Half the price i paid for previous off brand battery and Yuasa. Would be cheaper shipping if i lived closer to Nevada. Getting a little ripped off on that since it came from Bridgeview,Ill which is a lot closer than Nevada. hmmm. $2-3 cheaper maybe.

Chrome brand batteries are supposed to good also and may try one them in something else unless i can find Yuasa on sale. Or maybe another batterysharks battery to give them chance.

2012 GL1800- 10,000 mi.
78-750 Honda
67 Suzuki X6 Hustler

Bridgestone G851 Excedra ZR-400 miles so far
Pirelli Snow Control III-R/F- 2900 miles so far

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page