Silicate free anti-freeze - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Seasoned Member

I went searching on the Prestone website.

They used to have a statement on the "Extended Life" product that said "silicate, phosphate and borate free".

However - now all I can find is "low silicate".
Hmmmmmmm. Maybe there is still something printed on the jug - I don't know.

A quick search on the Peak Antifreeze website shows that their "Long Life" antifreeze is a "phosphate- and silicate-free formula". Peak's "Global Lifetime Antifreeze" has the same statement.

I don't see the old Prestone "Extended Life" product anymore at their website.

Maybe they changed formula? Maybe I missed something?

No matter where you go, there you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I'm going to Peperoni Boys today & I know they had a sale on Prestone for $8.48 a Gal..
I'll ck it out & report back later..

Pat G
2004 Black Wing w 107 K mi, Ridin on an Ultimate Seat, the best there is....
2013 Harley Ultra Classic
Bushtec Turbo+ 2
AMA #5181144
GWBBA # 48
1st Officer SCRC Chapter #173, North Jersey
Darksider # 494 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA 3 195 55 16 put to rest 5/7/16
Kuhmo Ecsta PA31 195/60/16 NR flat in service 5/7/16
*RETIRED & LUVIN EVERY MINUTE OF IT*
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:51 PM
Seasoned Member

I had the same problem with Prestone. I used their anti-freeze exclusively for decades, until they stopped putting the silicone free labeling on their bottles. No more. I switched to Peak. I imagine that since nearly every car and light truck made for the past 20 years has aluminum blocks and heads, they might feel that the label is not longer needed. I don't agree.

I have a very simple logic to my decision. My job as a consumer is to use what the manufacturer recommends. It's a pretty simple task. If the manual says silicate free, the bottle had better say silicate free, or I won't use it. I don't care if they say that it is compatible with all vehicles. Tell me if it is silicate free. I have no time or interest in playing word games. The folks at Peak seem to understand that. Prestone doesn't, so.... Bye!

Prestone is probably perfectly compatible with my engines. I don't care. If they can't supply me with the basic information that I need as a consumer, then they don't get me as a customer. There are too many other good choices out there that want my business.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
I had the same problem with Prestone. I used their anti-freeze exclusively for decades, until they stopped putting the silicone free labeling on their bottles. No more. I switched to Peak. I imagine that since nearly every car and light truck made for the past 20 years has aluminum blocks and heads, they might feel that the label is not longer needed. I don't agree.

I have a very simple logic to my decision. My job as a consumer is to use what the manufacturer recommends. It's a pretty simple task. If the manual says silicate free, the bottle had better say silicate free, or I won't use it. I don't care if they say that it is compatible with all vehicles. Tell me if it is silicate free. I have no time or interest in playing word games. The folks at Peak seem to understand that. Prestone doesn't, so.... Bye!

Prestone is probably perfectly compatible with my engines. I don't care. If they can't supply me with the basic information that I need as a consumer, then they don't get me as a customer. There are too many other good choices out there that want my business.
I also find it interesting the Prestone has no way to contact customer service except by phone. No way to email CS and get a written response. They also don't have MSDS sheets available unless you request them.

2012 Pearl White GL1800
AMA Life Member
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:17 PM

I was told many years ago, when water-cooled bikes were something new, that the silicate is what ruined the seals in the water pump.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cihilb View Post
I also find it interesting the Prestone has no way to contact customer service except by phone. No way to email CS and get a written response. They also don't have MSDS sheets available unless you request them.
I don't hold that against them. Most large companies with products like this don't have CS email contacts. It is just not practical. But in lieu of that, they should at least make their website informative about their products. Their product descriptions give even less info than what you can get on retailer websites, and the Q&A page looks like something that was slapped together in 5 minutes and never given much thought. They are just riding their reputation. They seem to have a website only because it is now mandatory marketing practice to have a website.

In reality, the lack of information probably won't hurt them. Not enough people really care either way. it's just us obsessive types that get in a frenzy over this stuff.

Larry
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:36 PM
Seasoned Member

My question has always been: if the silicates ruin the seals of the water pumps on our motorcycles, what about cars etc with aluminum engines and water pumps. My 1981 VW Rabbit Diesel had a aluminum water pump and I don't remember any of them having problems. Many would run for 100,000 miles if not longer. Why would it effect motorcycles more so than anything else?
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Available at your Honda/Acura dealer.

And it's blue!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0572.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	175313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0573.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	175321  
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivap View Post
Available at your Honda/Acura dealer.

And it's blue!!
My local Honda dealer want $24. I can get Peak Long Life at the auto parts store down the street for $10. It's kind of a no brainer to me.

Peak Long Life

Specific benefits include:
Compatible for use in all automobiles and light-duty trucks
Yellow color will not change the current antifreeze color when used for topping-off
Provides 150,000 miles or 5 years of maximum protection when a complete cooling system flush and fill is performed
Features a phosphate-free and silicate-free formula
Meets ASTM D-3306 and ASTM D-4340

Larry

Last edited by LarryM; 02-15-2017 at 07:45 PM.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpy45 View Post
My question has always been: if the silicates ruin the seals of the water pumps on our motorcycles, what about cars etc with aluminum engines and water pumps. My 1981 VW Rabbit Diesel had a aluminum water pump and I don't remember any of them having problems. Many would run for 100,000 miles if not longer. Why would it effect motorcycles more so than anything else?
My understanding after checking around on the net is that the silicate is used to 'coat' or 'seal' gasketed areas, but it ends up becoming corrosive to those soft metals. Having been a VW tech, I saw many aluminum cylinder heads eaten away at the sealing surface corners. Coolant would creep in between those surfaces because a cast iron block would expand and contract at a different rate than the aluminum head, on your rabbit diesel. Corrosiveness was even worse on the Vanagon's engine and we replaced a lot of cylinder heads during recalls for gasket failure. we did an aweful lot of water pumps too. I have only replaced 1 water pump on an 1800 wing. But quite a few guys use parts store antifreeze with no issues, so far. Go figure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page