Silicate free anti-freeze - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpy45 View Post
My question has always been: if the silicates ruin the seals of the water pumps on our motorcycles, what about cars etc with aluminum engines and water pumps. My 1981 VW Rabbit Diesel had a aluminum water pump and I don't remember any of them having problems. Many would run for 100,000 miles if not longer. Why would it effect motorcycles more so than anything else?
The additives in ant-freeze can be as complex, if not more so, than motor oil. Your choice of anti-freeze is actually more important than your choice of oil. The previous post by sullivap is certainly a good way to ease any anxiety over selecting the correct anti-freeze for your bike, if you are willing to absorb the high cost.

Silicates by their nature are alkaline, which means they can corrode aluminum. But corrosion inhibitors neutralize the corrosive alkaline effect and actually make the silicate beneficial in preventing corrosion, as long as maintenance intervals are followed. Long life anti-freeze generally contains no silicates, because it doesn't rely on corrosion inhibitors that degrade over time.

There is a wide array of materials available to manufacturers for making gaskets and seals. They each have their benefits and drawbacks. The choices that each manufacturer makes will determine what kind of anti-freeze the engine needs. Silicates can chemically act as plasticizers when they interact with certain types of polymer based gasket and seal materials. This makes the material lose its flexibility, causing it to harden and crack. It always results in failure. Not all materials are susceptible to this, which is why each mfr has their own special requirements. You need to follow what the mfr recommends. They know what they used to build the engine, and they know what it takes to prevent failures. You can't tell by looking at a gasket or seal what type it is. They mostly all look visually the same.

As long as you are not the owner of a GM DEXCOOL based car, there really are only a few common types of anti-freeze out there. Every mfr makes a compatible anti-freeze. Some mfrs are just better than others at sharing the important information you need to know.
milkmaster and GLblinded like this.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Last edited by LarryM; 02-16-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender60 View Post
I often wonder why people buy 50/50 myself for the same reason you mentioned.
I only buy pre mix, not much more money and it pretty much eliminates any possible mistakes.

I happen to use Peak Global Lifetime, it only comes in premix, about $8 a gallon, my first water pump lasted 465,000 miles.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere

Last edited by cycledude; 02-17-2017 at 09:53 PM.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
I only buy pre mix, not much more money and it pretty much eliminates any possible mistakes.

I happen to use Peak Global Lifetime, it only comes in premix, about $8 a gallon, my first water pump lasted 465,000 miles.
If I didn't have a gallon of Honda Type 2 premix kicking around when I changed my coolant, Peak Global Lifetime premix would have been my choice.

2013 F6B, black, with ABS
If it ain't broke, try to fix it anyways

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

Just did a coolant change...used toyota super long life coolant. Annealed the brass crush washer. No problems !
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Just looked today, and I have some Shellzone 5 year antifreeze in the cabinet for the cars that says it's silicate and phosphate free. It is a concentrate.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:35 AM
Seasoned Member

I have used Honda type2 on both CRV 177K and now with Wing no problems happy with it $18 per gallon a little pricey but it's Honda product recommended for Hondas.... if it was changed as often as Oil then I would rethink the extra $10 or so... works for me
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Seasoned Member

GLblinded with shellzone use distilled water to mix I'm sure you know that... 😬
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgoldwingman View Post
I was told many years ago, when water-cooled bikes were something new, that the silicate is what ruined the seals in the water pump.
Yep! That's the reason for using it in a Honda motorcycle.

Any good reason to stay out of someone else’s mess is a gift to both parties.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joen View Post
GLblinded with shellzone use distilled water to mix I'm sure you know that... 😬
Yup-yup, looked at that frozen jug of distilled out there too. But with our unseasonably warm temps things are thawing out. Come on spring !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page