Reverse light flashing - GL1800Riders
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Reverse light flashing

Reverse light flashing. It started when I tried to back up. I switched to reverse, hit the start button, it began to back up then stopped. I released the start button and tried it again. The same thing happened. This time I smelled hot plastic smoke. I switched the relays, I lubed th springs and checked the cables to see if they needed adjustment. The electrical connection at the point by the oil dipstick is tight. I would like to measure voltages but don't know where to begin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:28 PM
Seasoned Member

I dealt with that same problem for quite a while. When you checked the cables for proper adjustment, did you verify there was the proper clearance between the reverse shift arm and the lost motion plate when in reverse? That clearance is very critical to consistent correct operation.

'08 with '12 MT Adventure kit and '10 with '12 MT Adventure kit. 1,000,000 miles August, 2015
DISCLAIMER: All post are my personal opinion and are in no way intended to reflect on or change the opinions of others.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:12 PM
Supporting Vendor

Plastic smell may be a hint that the reverse resistor is overheating. This might be a sign of a faulty starter solenoid.

GL1800 Maintenance Videos - 20 Disc Set

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Dealer/Installer

Follow Me on Facebook

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I can't check the clearance in reverse because it won't go into reverse. If it is a battery issue would it cause the reverse light to flash? I forgot to mention that my bike is an 06 with 115,000 miles. It probably won't hurt to replace the starter solenoid although it starts just fine. Where is the resistor located Fred?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:06 PM
GL1800 Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel57 View Post
I can't check the clearance in reverse because it won't go into reverse. If it is a battery issue would it cause the reverse light to flash? I forgot to mention that my bike is an 06 with 115,000 miles. It probably won't hurt to replace the starter solenoid although it starts just fine. Where is the resistor located Fred?
Not Fred, but the resistor is under the battery box area. It has a large cable bolted to it and a brown plug with 3 wires on it. It has metal fins on it. Unplug it and measure the resistance from the three terminals to the large cable connector, one at a time. They should measure nearly shorted. If any one of the three measures open or more than an ohm, the resistor is bad.

If it checks good, then the issue is somewhere else. Are you getting a good neutral light?
Ironhorse1800 likes this.

Rob's Candy Red '04

Last edited by techdude2000; 02-15-2017 at 06:29 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Reverse

I am getting a good neutral light
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I get a neutral light when I disengage the reverse switch
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:39 PM
GL1800 Doctor

Quote:
I get a neutral light when I disengage the reverse switch
Ok, that means the reverse mechanics are fully into the neutral position. The flashing light means the system is sensing a fault during the system test it performs when you engage the switch. You will probably have to go through the troubleshooting steps in the service manual to check for all the correct signals where they should be if the resistor checks out good. Do you have a copy of the service manual for your model year?

Rob's Candy Red '04
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Didn't someone mention here not too long ago that a flashing reverse light was an indication of a low battery, or am I thinking of some other flashing light?
Maybe that was the ABS light?
My memory is just not that great

2015 GL1800/A Audio Comfort, Navi/XM, ABS - Black/Red
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Evidently I am misunderstanding your original post. Looks like if it started to back up, it was in reverse but shut down when you started to back up.

'08 with '12 MT Adventure kit and '10 with '12 MT Adventure kit. 1,000,000 miles August, 2015
DISCLAIMER: All post are my personal opinion and are in no way intended to reflect on or change the opinions of others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page