GL1800Riders Forums banner

How long will my battery last?

4K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  Mr. Whiskey 
#1 ·
I still have the original battery in my 2005 1800. I know people will say go ahead and change it out, I've got my money out of it, but it still starts it just fine. Why not keep it till it at least starts to show some sign of dying? Any sales on Yuasa batteries out their anytime soon?

#2 ·
Battery life varies from weeks to years, sometimes decades. Best thing you can do is take it to your local auto parts place and have them do a load test on it. It's free, and will give you a pretty good idea of its health.

As to sale, nothing yet. I've bought from BatterySharks in the past, no issues and the price is good.

#3 ·
I agree. If you keep enough money set aside for buying a Walmart or over priced motorcycle shop battery because it will most likely die all in one shot in the middle of nowhere.
I would hide a $50 in my wallet marked for a battery and just ride on bud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I've heard that before, doesn't seem to make any sense that Honda can install a battery that has different specs than what is available to consumers. Actually I would think that they would put in a cheaper quality than what is out there. Anybody check specs of same type batteries available?

#7 ·
battery

I would replace it now, in the comfort of your garage instead of in the middle of nowhere.

I agree with Dave.David969 in that it will probable die without warning. Standing along some remote road with a dead bike is not my idea of good value. As you say, you've got your moneys worth.

Rayjoe

#9 ·
It is extremely inconvenient and could even be dangerous for it to die in the wrong place and they seem to have a tendency to pick those places. I learned the hard way. Cost me a whole day and an angry wife. I replace mine if it is over 6 years old and I am going any considerable distance away from home. Yuasa's were only about $125 last time I bought one. Mine is 6 years old now and I'm planning a trip so I'll probably replace it before I leave.

I have an Optima in my 62 Dodge Dart that is 12 years old, keep it on a tender, recently had it tested and it was good, but I ain't going any distance in it, 413 ci, 10 mpg.

#10 ·
My battery was 6 years old and started the bike every time. But, the radio which was left on XM would revert to FM when started and there was dark pixels on the screen. I put in a new battery and everything was fixed. Also, keep in mind that a battery can be good enough to turn over am engine with ease, but not have enough power for the fuel / ignition system.

#12 ·
I think whether to let the battery go until it dies depends on the person. If you feel comfortable spending your morning at a hotel on a greasy dirty parking lot in your bare feet and PJs changing a battery, let it go until it dies.

A battery can fail at any time, but I still feel more confident with a 3 year old battery than a 10 year old one.

#13 ·
If you are asking - that means you should change it out-every time you ride it will be in the back of your mind WIll today be the day it fails.

#14 · (Edited)
My Yuasa batteries always last exactly 5 years because that's when I prudently choose to replace them. Also, I wisely fill up my gas tank when the fuel gauge hits 1/4 tank. IOW, these kinds of decisions are based on your personality, not any objective reasoning.

(Although I think I could lay out a very logical case for doing what I do.)

#15 ·
It's up to you.

Some people carry all sorts of extra parts ---
A breakdown on a trip is a giant inconvenience.
And simple maintenance can prevent many of the simple breakdowns.
As for me -- I have some basic tools along, and my 2 most valuable tools -- cell phone and credit card.
If it breaks I might be able to fix it - or I will get it fixed - or rent a uhaul and come home.
A battery is one thing I don't worry about... a cheapo one from Walmart can get you home.
or Batteries Plus has nice AGM alternatives for around $100 +/- so that is something you COULD fix on a trip if it went south.
I also keep my batteries on a maintainer when not riding to try to keep them healthy and fresh...
My 2 bikes are running on less than 3 years old batterys right now so for ME -- ride on !

It's up to you - what is your tolerance ?

#17 ·
I would change it. A battery that is not quite up to par is stressing other parts of the starting circuit and will end up costing you more money down the road. A slightly weak battery is a primary cause of welded starter relay contacts and a run-on starter.

#18 ·
Speaking of batt replacements:

Has anyone ever install a lithium on a wing? like this one
http://earthxbatteries.com/shop/ETX36D

I ran one on a K16 and it did very well. Light as a feather and it started the bike with no uncertain hesitation. Pricey no doubt.

It is definitely a different creature in behavior traits, but it appears to me they are not as troublesome as when they first came out.

Anyone?

#19 ·
Speaking of batt replacements:

Has anyone ever install a lithium on a wing? like this one
http://earthxbatteries.com/shop/ETX36D

I ran one on a K16 and it did very well. Light as a feather and it started the bike with no uncertain hesitation. Pricey no doubt.

It is definitely a different creature in behavior traits, but it appears to me they are not as troublesome as when they first came out.

Anyone?
When I look at Li-Fe batteries, I just don't see any compelling reason to buy one. In 15 years with my Wing, I have spent $175 in batteries. (Two replacements) Even if Li-Fe life expectancy was 20 years, they would still not even close to being competitively priced. You would never get your money's worth out of it.

Li-Fe batteries do have some features that are an advantage. For those that have unique needs for a battery, they might be worth the cost. People who have a bad habit of draining their batteries might also benefit. But the average motorcyclist will never benefit from any of them. The current technology pretty much does the job it was designed to do.

Li-Fe technology has one huge drawback. Its performance drops dramatically as temperatures decrease.

#22 · (Edited)
I have never owned or tested one, but from what I have read, Ii-Fe batteries supposedly can go far deeper into a discharge and still be able to start the engine.

Regardless, it isn't an issue on a Goldwing, because backup current draw has become negligible. Even though our vehicles have more and more electronics in them, they actually draw less standby power than they did even 10 years ago. The ECM does not use battery backup, so there is no power draw there. The only thing we have left is the ECU in the instrument cluster and the radio.

2009 and later Goldwing radios draw so little current that you can completely disconnect the battery, and they can go as long as 24 hours with only the internal filter capacitors in the radio to maintain backup. Current draw is now in the micro-amp range. The coin battery in a wristwatch could maintain backup for many months. It would have no measurable effect on the bike's battery.

The only thing left that needs backup is the clock and suspension presets. A lead acid battery will self discharge far faster than what the electronics draw. And lower self discharge is actually supposed to be better with Li-Fe batteries.

The electronics usually take the blame when a battery is dead after a few months of not being used. But it is actually the battery itself that is the cause. Eliminating self discharge is a really nice improvement, but not at 4 times the cost of what we use now. With what we have, all you have to do is periodically put a charger on a battery that sits for awhile to keep it from going into deep discharge. The effort required is minimal.

#21 ·
Trickle chargers are the best way to extend the life of a battery. Weather I intend to ride the next day or not tender goes on right after I park. It's works for me had a battery little over 10 years changed it out for peace of mind. At the time I was up north mostly rural riding.. techdude2000 makes good points given the electrical considerations and demands of a Wing.....

#30 ·
My original battery was still working when I pulled it out of my 2006 after 8-9 years of service and I don't even own a trickle charger/tender. I read that Battery Tender recommends changing batteries every 5 years. If they extend battery life, why would they recommend that change interval? I don't believe they do a single thing to extend the life of the battery at all. And there's really nothing that can prove they do. Sometimes a battery will last 10 years, sometimes 2. In the case of the OP, he's gotten 12-13 years. Pretty impressive. I should have left my stock one in. Luck of the draw on batteries.

I got 2-3 years on a dirt cheap Delco that a lot of us got off of Amazon a few years ago. Still going strong. No tender/trickle.

#23 · (Edited)
When Sam's Club used to sell Interstate MC Batteries, they were Yuasa repackaged batteries with Yuasa on the battery, no mention of Interstate anywhere on the battery, but Sam's no longer carries Interstate.

When I went to the Interstate Battery Store the man there said he thought they still are made by Yuasa, but there is nothing on the battery about Yuasa.

They do have 2 for the GL1800, same style, one just has a few more cold cranking amps.

Anyone have good accurate info on or experience with Interstate Batteries for the GL1800? Are they Yuasa? Are they Glass Mat?

#24 ·
Lithium batt are feather weight. They don't have that 'going-dead' thingie going on of their earlier days.
The reason why I chose the EarthX is because it has some kind of whachamachigar that makes it so you don't have to have a special charger or none-like-that.

I had one on a K16 and ran an alarm daily plus all the other techie crap and it never went dead. In fact, it appeared to be more effective than the lead batt.

Has anyone ever used a lithium on a Wing?

#26 ·
Well done! You are on borrowed time.

It's unlikely it will die at a convenient time. Your call.

Yuasa GYZ20L is $91 at Amazon now. It was $86 a few weeks ago when I bought one pre-emptively for my 2010. I was feeling a little weak about not riding it for a bit longer, thanks for rubbing more salt in the wound. Ha ha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.