GL1800Riders Forums banner

Daytime running lights

5K views 49 replies 30 participants last post by  NV Desert Rider 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone come up with a way to turn off the regular headlights during the day and just have some kind of daytime running lights on instead to save the life of the H7 bulbs
Thanks

Thanks for the responses, but i think some of you don't understand what I am asking. I do believe in conspicuity, but think some other lights that are less expensive to replace and have a longer life would accomplish that and save the "brighter" lows for at night when you need them.
HR

#2 ·
Check out some of Waldo's links and threads. He seems to be one of the electrical gurus on this board coming up with different electrical connections and fixes like you are inquiring about.
@Waldo

Allen

#4 ·
Has anyone come up with a way to turn off the regular headlights during the day and just have some kind of daytime running lights on instead to save the life of the H7 bulbs
Thanks
While I agree that your lights should be left on I believe the easiest way to do what you're asking is to put a off and on switch on the high beam wire. It's easy to find at the headlights and a short distance to the Handlebar switches. This way you can ride with your high beam switch on and no headlights but if you see police you can quickly switch to low beams which then will be on.

#5 ·
My two cents, probably not worth that much:
  • Don't buy the extra bright headlights, i.e. extra short life.
  • The hassle of rigging up whatever you're talking about is probably larger than the one or two extra headlight changes you'll make over the life of the bike using regular life bulbs.
  • I concur on not doing anything to make yourself less visible. I don't know that this DRL will be much worse conspicuity than the normal low beams, but it won't be any better.

As for this.....

I'm confused.

1) Turning on the high beams doesn't turn off the lows. What does connecting the two get you? You're just burning up the highs instead of the lows, which are tougher to change.

2) Is it a legal requirement to have at least DRLs on? I don't think so, but I dunno. Can't think of why else the police would care that the lows aren't on (assume we're talking about daytime here).

If you wanted to put a switch in to cut of your lows, then have at it. BTW, some conspicuity from the turn signals and fog lights (if you have them), particularly with the odd amber lens that EC has for only a few bucks. I run with the LEDs on all the time just so people do a double take for those weird low yellow lights and see me.

#12 ·
David

I suggest you pull into a strip mall and park where you can see your headlights. Shut off the bike. Turn on and press start.

Honda already shuts off all four beams (2 hi 2 lo) when you press the starter button giving all juice to the starter.

When the high beams are on, the low beams are as well. You are correct about the cowl lights, but most have eliminated the shut off "feature" by clipping the blue wire at the cowl light switch so they actually stay on with the high beams.

I highly recommend not reducing front conspicuity by any means. The more the better.

>CLICK ME<

Reactions: Russell S
#13 ·
David

I suggest you pull into a strip mall and park where you can see your headlights. Shut off the bike. Turn on and press start.

Honda already shuts off all four beams (2 hi 2 lo) when you press the starter button giving all juice to the starter.

When the high beams are on, the low beams are as well. You are correct about the cowl lights, but most have eliminated the shut off "feature" by clipping the blue wire at the cowl light switch so they actually stay on with the high beams.

I highly recommend not reducing front conspicuity by any means. The more the better.

>CLICK ME<

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFrrt7O_mhs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkdA3uJEbps
OP question had nothing to do with "when the starter is used." I'm think we all know that the lights turn off then. I mention that when I mention a weak battery. OP just said he wanted to kill head lights.
I can not make the assumption about who cut what blue wire especially if it does the illegal act of having spotlights on while high-beam are on.
My very first sentence said that I believe you should leave his lights on.
I feel like you are reading my post just to argue and not actually reading my post to understand or learn. You're very first question read like you were omitting a sentence or two from my post.

#14 ·
As has been mentioned a few times now, turning on unmodified hi-beams results in all 4 headlights being on at the same time (2 hi, 2 lo).
Trying to understand how you've reached the conclusion that placing a switch on the hi-beam wiring would kill all 4 lights. Certainly not trying to be argumentative, simply trying to understand.
Also agree with doing whatever is necessary to be seen.

Reactions: Big_Bird
#17 ·
This is simply a matter of wiring and a kill switch does just that, in this case stopping the flow of protons through the wire to the highbeam systoms. While I do not have the Goldwing wiring diagram in front of me I assure you it's not a big deal to have all four filaments lose power when the headlight switch is moved to the high beam position.
You could just as easily kill switch the ground wire either to the headlight switch or to the headlights ( making a difference in the running lights) but then when you see the law you have to reach for the kill switch. If you can do that easily then fine go for it. If you cannot do that easily or more importantly don't want the cop to find it when he questions why your headlights were out then my suggestion is to make it so you only have to flip from high beam too low beam which will work normally.
Nothing I have written today is meant argumentative. I am just stating facts and opinions.

#18 ·
I might be wrong, but I believe it is Federal law that all motorcycles have headlights on at all times while riding. That's why the headlights come on with the ignition key.

When riding, I try to remain as visible as possible. The life of a couple light bulbs is nowhere near as valuable as my life.

Bob

#19 ·
Chasing clarity rather than an argument here, too.

I did some poking around, see lots of state laws re mandatory daytime motorcycle use, don't see a federal law. My takeaway - it's at least required in a lot of places. News to me, though my bike's wiring takes care of that.

On the high/low power -- I won't go to the mat on there NOT being something sneaky going on that links the two with electrical voodoo, but I think this thing about cutting off lows by cutting off highs is opinion, not fact. I guarantee the lows and highs are powered through separate relays.

Oh well. Enough dancing on the head of a pin here. I'm happy with my daytime headlights. Hasta.....

#20 ·
Thank you all. Please let me state facts. It is not hard to kill power to the high and low beams through a kill switch activated only when the headlight switch is switch to high beam.
Fact, not opinion. No need for a circuit panel or fuse block or computer. Some may use a relay and some not.
While it is possible and not hard to do it, it is not recommended.
If you would like to bring your bike to Southern California, Los Angeles, I would be happy to set it up for you.
Opinion. Just because someone does not know how to do it does not mean it can't be done.

#21 ·
After reading this thread I think it is a federal law that lights are on for a motorcycle.

Reactions: Dave.David969
#23 ·
Okay, I'm late to this thread but a couple of clarification items.

One - Yes it is a law you have to have your headlight(s) on. While a lot of LEO's don't worry about enforcing it - the fact remains it's still the law.

Two - Screwing around with the high beams doesn't effect the low beams. Also, the high beams are powered from two different sources. Left Hi is from the hi-beam switch on the handle bar. Right Hi is powered from the hi-beam relay under the seat.

Now while I think disabling the low beams is a mistake - if you really want to do that then go to the headlight relay under the seat. Find the relay trigger wire under the relay stack and cut the wire. Splice a switch into the cut wire, route the switch to wherever you want it. Now, flip switch off to kill low beams. Flip switch on to light them up. Use the relay trigger wire to operate this system versus the actual power to the headlight wire. Much lower current involved, can use a smaller switch and wire to operate.

And really, the headlights don't fail that often, and aren't that expensive. The increase in bulb life versus the reduction in safety isn't worth it.

#25 ·
I don't know why any one would want to ride without their headlights on. In addition to my low beams and driving lights being on all the time, I also have the low beams on a Kissan headlight modulator. I did modify the modulator so I can turn it off and on manually. I will usually turn the modulator off when on the interstate so I don't needlessly bother people but they are always on when I am in town or on a 2 lane road. I want as much visibility as possible and the modulator really does make a difference. I've had many cagers pull over or even off the road to let me by and most on-coming drivers are looking at me when they go by so I know more people are seeing me. I highly recommend a headlight modulator! :wink2:

#27 ·
I don't understand the desire to run without headlights on either. In the first 90K+ of owning my bike I replaced both low beams 2x and that was starting with unknown miles up to 43K on the bulbs I bought it with. I replaced the high beams with EC LED bulbs at around 130K, both bulbs were still working & were probably the original bulbs that came in the bike. The low beams are easy enough to change without removing anything and rarely took over 5-10 min or so to do. If you ride only during the day you could get a set of stock halogens to put in, stay away from the ultra bright ones that burn out quickly. If you ride at night, I would highly recommend a set of the LED bulbs as they put out significantly more light than the stock halogens at half the current draw and should last much longer. Initial cost is higher than a halogen bulb but the extra light riding every night after dark thru deer country and the additional lifetime made it worth it to me to switch. Just something else to consider.

#30 ·
Hmmm... I was always under the impression that a headlight is required in the Buckeye state.

I Googled "motorcycle headlight law ohio" and found a bunch of sites that talked about headlights on motorcycles. Only one of those mentioned them not being required, but it's not an official site. The Ohio Revised Code (4501-15-01) talks about things like height, quantity, and distribution of headlamps, but doesn't mention anything about them not being required in the daytome. Check out http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4501-15.

#29 ·
I use my high beams during all daytime riding.... I only switch to low beam after sundown. .... I haven't had to change a bulb yet in the year that I have had it..... I have to change out burned out bulbs in my trucks occasionally. I would expect to have to do the same thing to my bike. I would never consider riding a motorcycle without a headlight..... sounds dangerous to me.

#37 ·
In 1998 I built a bike from the ground up that had to have a VIN and be stamped. State of Chicago said that headlight with high / low beam and tail light with brake light was required. Turn signals were not because hand signals could be used.

#39 ·
I've been unable to weigh in on this but I've never been anywhere in the US where motorcycles were permitted to run without DRLs; I have learned a bit in this thread that I've not been everywhere. The initial intent of the OP was disable DRLs to save wear and tear and not replace them so often. I'm glad someone returned to that driving factor and suggested LED replacements that simply don't burn out unless faulty design. I was LEO in two states and currently live and ride in Idaho and a cycle without headlights is going to get a ticket before the get killed by someone who didn't see them. We aren't even seen without our lights, so please research another light type. In Idaho I found another odd issue for the Goldwing..

Idaho 49-905. HEAD LAMPS ON MOTOR VEHICLES. (1) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle ....

(2) Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least one (1) and not more than two (2) head lamps which shall comply with the requirements and limitations of this chapter.

Boys and Girls the game is afoot! If we use our high beams we have 4 headlights in use, 6 with modified fog lights and in my case I run 8 on our back roads away from oncoming traffic where the critters play. I guess if I'm getting a ticket I'll go big!

#42 ·
Boys and Girls the game is afoot! If we use our high beams we have 4 headlights in use, 6 with modified fog lights and in my case I run 8 on our back roads away from oncoming traffic where the critters play. I guess if I'm getting a ticket I'll go big!
Rookie... >:)

#40 ·
Laws vary so it's generally never good to say "generally," but generally a single big housing with two separate bulbs/reflectors in it is considered a single headlight. So the Goldwing has two headlights. Not 4. I don't think you're in any trouble.

Further hair splitting is allowed about whether, for example, a fog light or a driving light is a headlight. It is almost mandated by the Lawyer Full Employment Act.

There's a round up of laws here. http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/motorcycle-equipment/ Unfortunately it doesn't cover the max headlight count, but does hit headlight use. Granted, it's a derivative work so I don't completely trust it without going back to the source docs, which I'm not going to do because I'm perfectly happy running with my lights on all day and night so I don't need to. However, I'll note from a quick scan:

- there are plenty of states with no specific headlight requirement for motorcycles, so they probably only inherit the general motor vehicle requirements to have a headlight at night
- there are plenty of other states that have specific motorcycle requirements for motorcycles, but do not require the headlights to be on during the day (net, you gotta get out more, PastoT ;))
- and still plenty more that require you to run the headlight during the day.

Checking Idaho, for example, from what I can see there, a LEO citing an operator for no DRL has wandered off the reservation.

I know there is a federal law that says modulators are legal and cannot be restricted by the states. I can't find a federal law on MC DRLs. Perhaps the manufacturers are reacting to the critical mass of states in the market, rather than a universal requirement.

#41 · (Edited)
Regarding the two posts above...

In the California vehicle code: Division 12, Chapter 2, Article 2, Section 24405 details # of forward facing lamps that maybe illuminated at one time (4). Sec.#24405b states "for the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlight system shall be considered as one lamp". Section 24403 allows the use of not more than 2 fog lamps on a motorcycle in addition to but not as a substitute for headlights.

And as to too many lights on whilst riding - in the daytime I run with low beams on, and my LEDRider's set at 10% output. If traffic becomes an issue, I turn on my high beam modulators and my yellow fog lamps. However, on the dark night roads, I've got low beams on, high beams on, LEDRider 5000 lumen lights on, ExtremeLED 1600 lumens on, ExtremeLED 2400 lumen light bar, and if for some reason I want to I can turn on my PIAA 1100X's. And I've got the Electrical Connection's LED Switchback mod for my turn signals.
End result - I can end up with a total of 15 forward facing lights on. YeeHaw - Close Encounters of the .... :wrong: (and no, I normally don't run everything, and turn them off with oncoming traffic).

Attachments

#43 ·
Found this:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1650175/pdf/amjph00657-0066.pdf

In 1967, daytime headlight use laws were first enacted
by four states (Montana, Arkansas, Indiana, and Oregon).

I knew in the later 60's i had to have my headlight and helmet on all the time and I knew it was law but wanted to find the proof. I sure didn't want to get stopped since i didn't have a license yet at that time. lol