Progressive Monotubes - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Progressive Monotubes

Do the Monotubes make the front of the bike sit higher?

Steve Clemmet,
Billingham, England
2013 GL1800 Airbag Navi
2016 Honda NC750X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Yes. If that is an issue, the fork tubes can be slid up inside the triple tree some to bring the front of the bike back down. I think the limit is 10mm above the top clamp.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Seasoned Member

I moved mine a full 10mm.

'06 Chrome on Black on Black
#notmypresident

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 04:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
When I installed them in my bike I raised the forks up in the tree about 10mm. At 5'4" tall I need all the help that I can get. Doing that almost returned the bike to a stock seat height.

Semper Fi
2001 Goldwing
2013 Ninja 300
1996 Pacific Coast
1994 Honda Magna
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

With PMTs I mounted mine right back where they came from, flush. At 6', 6", reaching the ground? Not a problem for me! Ha.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:27 PM

I replaced mine last year in May after I had problems with my original set. This new set of tubes lowered my wing a little and I put the tubes in the clamp in the original position. I also did not put a shim in. My first set I put one shim in. After 9 months, of riding with these new tubes I think they are softer riding than my first set. The springs on my first set were progressively wound while the new ones were not. I used the Honda ss8 fork oil to.
I am 5'6" with a 30" inseam and weight about 180 lbs with gear on. Yes I am vertically challenged but I still can hold the 900+ lbs bike up on my tippy toes. Lol. I hope this helps.

Brett
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
I replaced mine last year in May after I had problems with my original set. This new set of tubes lowered my wing a little and I put the tubes in the clamp in the original position. I also did not put a shim in. My first set I put one shim in. After 9 months, of riding with these new tubes I think they are softer riding than my first set. The springs on my first set were progressively wound while the new ones were not. I used the Honda ss8 fork oil to.

Brett

Do Ya suppose the newer set is different, or was it that you did not use the spacer? I recall reports that use of the spacer really beefs-up the ride support, maybe too much.

prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 05:36 PM

RE: Progressive Mono Tubes

Here is a pic of both PMT's. The one on the top is my original and the bottom is the replacement I bought before I received my replacements under warranty from Progressive.

The replacement I bought is different, the spring is thinner and you can see the closeness of the spacing between the winding is different. The progressive windings are almost non existent.

I did use one spacer on my old set but on the replacements I went with the recommendations in the instructions and by a parts counter person where I bought the replacements at. (They exclusively work on ALL YEARS GW's), so I trusted what he recommended. It was late in the night and I had to get my transportation done, so I can go to work. When I pushed the GW off of its center stand, I noticed that the front dropped considerably, almost like when my OEM springs were in there.

One shim does make the ride a little stiffer but I think with the shim, big bumps with the big jolts to the rider are better handled. The front of the bike was at OEM ride height, maybe a few millimeters higher because the GW leaned a little further than it did with OEM springs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1822-1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	179249  

Brett
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Glad to see someone else talking about front suspension. I have a 2005 GL1800A that I got from the original owner who had put about 36,000 miles on it. The bike has 75,000 miles on it now. He also replaced the front springs with Traxxion springs rated at #3. They offer a range of 1 to 3 as for a more firmer ride. I didn't like the stiff ride so I got the #1's and replaced them. I know by visiting many forums that many people don't like the OEM springs because they are too "soft". I don't like the feel of all the vibration that comes up the handlebars. My phone vibrates while in the holder, my tall tumbler spills water at times and the noise it makes when hitting certain bumps is very annoying too. I also have the Traxxion rear shock and 1100lb spring. I want a Cadillac ride and not a log truck ride. I would like to find some OEM springs and install them in my tubes and see how they ride. If anyone here has any that are fairly new, I would like to purchase them if you are willing to part with them. If any of you want to offer suggestions, then please do so. Thanks in advance for your help.
Big H
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:00 PM
DSI Keeper

Garage
Hi Big H. I am not familiar with Traxxion's rating of #1, #2, #3 and only know them as how they are, in spring rate. 1.1 (or 1.2 or 1.3) Kg/mm come to mind. I think OEM was in the .9 Kg/mm range. I would be willing to wager you would have several offers to trade. I run the 1.2's and I might interested in your 1.3's. That spring rate is stamped (or engraved) on the ends of the spring.

'14 GL1800 Red
Keeper of the DSI numbers
http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

FAQ (work in progress)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page