Iphone controlled garage door opener - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 02:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I was looking for a solution to opening my garage door while I was pulling up to the house or as I was leaving similar to the Homelink system on my F150. I found mo-door.com and solved the problem. It's a standalone box that I just dropped inside the fairing under the left pocket and it's got a waterproof button that I mounted on the bottom panel below the ride height adjustment buttons. I only had one issue and that was when the battery died and I had to replace it. Other than that, it works great, with or without gloves and I don't have to worry about the weather being an issue. I had just replaced my garage door opener so this was a big plus for me as it worked with my new door opener without any issues.

Griff

1976 CB550-Four
1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2004 GL1800 Titanium

GWRRA - promoting Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge.

GWRRA # 400819
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
I am curious about something here. A garage door does not send out any signals that indicate whether the door is open or closed. A transmitter just sends an on command, and the opener determines the direction of the motor in one of a couple of different ways, depending on the design.

So how does the app on your phone know whether the door is open or closed?

Being a tech geek, I love little projects like this, sometimes just to learn and see if my ideas work. From that standpoint, I applaud your creativity.

But being a knowledgeable tech geek also makes me avoid IoT devices like the plague, simply because the security is so poor on almost all of them. (It is often nonexistent) Knowledgeable computer guys will not go anywhere near them. I will never hook up any smart devices like light bulbs, thermostats, or devices like Alexa to my network, because they all have to connect to remote servers over the Internet, making them extremely vulnerable hacking points into a home’s private network. It’s like leaving the door to your house open. There are some really cool and tempting IoT devices on the market, but it just isn’t worth the risk. The only system I would ever use is one that operates 100% isolated on my local network, and never phones home.
It is programming on the Blynk app that reads one of the pins on the board that is connected to a magnetic reed n/c switch. As for the security..it does use a 30 character code for the app and then requires my ssid and passcode..but you are right it could still be hacked I suppose...

If you are really interested, here is the script (left out some bit and pieces for security reasons ):

Comment this out to disable prints and save space */
#define BLYNK_PRINT Serial
#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleEsp8266.h>
#include <SimpleTimer.h>

WidgetLED led1(V1);

#define BLYNK_GREEN "#23C48E"
#define BLYNK_RED "#D3435C"

SimpleTimer timer;

// V1 LED Widget State
void blinkLedWidget()

{
if (digitalRead(D3)) {

led1.setColor(BLYNK_RED); // magnetic switch is open, D3 is HIGH
Serial.println("Door is open");

} else {

led1.setColor(BLYNK_GREEN); // magnetic switch is closed, D3 is LOW
Serial.println("Door is closed");

}

}

void setup()
{
// Debug console
Serial.begin(9600);

Blynk.begin(auth, ssid, pass);
pinMode(D6, OUTPUT);
pinMode(D5, OUTPUT);
pinMode(D3, INPUT);

// Turn LED on, so colors are visible
led1.on();
timer.setInterval(1500L, blinkLedWidget);
}

void loop()
{
Blynk.run();
timer.run();
}

2008-HPNA (RED)
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

Last edited by wingpilot08; 03-13-2017 at 09:20 AM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:32 AM
Seasoned Member

I've had one of these on my bike for years https://flashtoopen.com/collections/...FQEPaQodJRkDeQ Easy-peazy install. Has never failed, yet.

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffalo View Post
I was looking for a solution to opening my garage door while I was pulling up to the house or as I was leaving similar to the Homelink system on my F150. I found mo-door.com and solved the problem. It's a standalone box that I just dropped inside the fairing under the left pocket and it's got a waterproof button that I mounted on the bottom panel below the ride height adjustment buttons. I only had one issue and that was when the battery died and I had to replace it. Other than that, it works great, with or without gloves and I don't have to worry about the weather being an issue. I had just replaced my garage door opener so this was a big plus for me as it worked with my new door opener without any issues.

Griff
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet bob View Post
I've had one of these on my bike for years https://flashtoopen.com/collections/...FQEPaQodJRkDeQ Easy-peazy install. Has never failed, yet.

Nice systems...maybe if I had seen them, but then again, I spent about $15 in total to build what I have.
griffalo likes this.

2008-HPNA (RED)
Darkside #1720

Last edited by wingpilot08; 03-13-2017 at 08:39 AM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaster View Post
My solution works well, but it is somewhat low tech. I just reach and push the button on the opener in the cubby gloves or no gloves.
This was what I was doing also until the push button remotes started acting up...yes, I replaced the battery. But for what ever reason I have to be right next to the door to open it, not at the end of the driveway as it was previously. Even the remote in the wife's car was acting up. Must be the receiver in the garage door opener circuitry going south.

2008-HPNA (RED)
Darkside #1720

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Well, unfortunately I'm not that electronically inclined and was in a hurry. My electrical skills for things like that run very slim. Glad you were able to come up with a solution that was inexpensive and works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1976 CB550-Four
1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2004 GL1800 Titanium

GWRRA # 400819
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Well, unfortunately I'm not that electronically inclined and was in a hurry. My electrical skills for things like that run very slim. Glad you were able to come up with a solution that was inexpensive and works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear ya. Not saying yours was a bad idea, like the looks of it. I just happened to read about the WiFi enabled board and thought I'd give it a try. So far seems to work well, time will tell (only had it operational for a day or so, so far). I did also try to add some RGB LEDs using a controller on the Wing, but that didn't work out (caused radio interference, couldn't have that !)

Have a great day!

2008-HPNA (RED)
Darkside #1720

Last edited by wingpilot08; 03-13-2017 at 09:17 AM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingpilot08 View Post
I hear ya. Not saying yours was a bad idea, like the looks of it. I just happened to read about the WiFi enabled board and thought I'd give it a try. So far seems to work well, time will tell (only had it operational for a day or so, so far). I did also try to add some RGB LEDs using a controller on the Wing, but that didn't work out (caused radio interference, couldn't have that !)

Have a great day!
Hey Wing,

Glad it's working OK for you now. I just replaced my garage door opener about 2 yrs ago and put in a Genie opener and I can add the Aladdin Connect system (wireless and bluetooth system) to it if I want another app on my phone. I have the mo-door system and don't need anything else for now. Maybe in the future, I'll get the Aladdin Connect setup, but for now, I'm happy. Doesn't matter what gloves I'm wearing or whether it's wet or dry, this thing still works. I can open the door from within about 2 houses away from mine and that's all I need.

Safe riding!!!

1976 CB550-Four
1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2004 GL1800 Titanium

GWRRA # 400819
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Hey Wing,

Safe riding!!!
Not with this weather today...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017_03_13.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	749.1 KB
ID:	181417  

2008-HPNA (RED)
Darkside #1720

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:04 PM
Seasoned Member

These work great.

http://www.mo-door.com/index.html

'04 Titanium ABS
Double Darksider
IBA #22990

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page