Iphone controlled garage door opener - GL1800Riders
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Iphone controlled garage door opener

I have been using a regular garage door opener on my Wing, but recently it hasn't been functioning the way I wanted it to work. So I started looking at IoT (Internet of Things) that would allow me to open the garage door with an app on my phone. There are number of devices that can be purchased to add to the garage door opener, which normally range for $75 and up. Being fiscally retentive (cheap?), I decided to see what I could do on my own with parts purchased online. I found one in particular that caught my eye:

http://makezine.com/projects/particl...e-door-opener/

By following the directions and using just slightly different items, I should have this working shortly. The processor board I purchased was a Wemos d1 mini Pro. This is a Wifi enabled board based on ESP-8266EX https://www.wemos.cc/product/d1-mini-pro.html. On the Iphone the app being used is Blynk, which allow you to very easily build the app to your needs.

All total I will spend about $12 and have a Wifi enabled secure garage door opener that will also alert me if the garage door is open or closed.

attached is a short video of the test of the board...just turning on a LED. Waiting for other parts to arrive to complete

Heavenboundx4 likes this.

2008-HPNA (RED)
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Seasoned Member

The project looks fun but not too practical for a motorcycle in my opinion. Having to stop, take my gloves off, get my phone out, open an app, close the app, put my phone away, gloves back on, click into gear.....seems like too many steps for me. On my previous Wing I had a keychain remote Velcroed under the left cubby. Soldered two light gauge wires to the appropriate tabs in the keyfob. Ran the wires to a micro momentary switch on the dash. No fuss no muss. Can open/close the door with gloved hand on the fly. That reminds me....I still got to install this on my new bike.

2008 gl1800 black abs, comfort pkg., nav, cb.
Kuryakyn centrefold (not my idea).

motorcyclist not a biker.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecyclone View Post
The project looks fun but not too practical for a motorcycle in my opinion. Having to stop, take my gloves off, get my phone out, open an app, close the app, put my phone away, gloves back on, click into gear.....seems like too many steps for me. On my previous Wing I had a keychain remote Velcroed under the left cubby. Soldered two light gauge wires to the appropriate tabs in the keyfob. Ran the wires to a micro momentary switch on the dash. No fuss no muss. Can open/close the door with gloved hand on the fly. That reminds me....I still got to install this on my new bike.
My IPhone is kept in a RAM mount so I can easily access if needed (also use it for GPS since the one on the Wing sucks), and my gloves are able to access the Iphone touchscreen. https://rideapart.com/articles/best-...orcycle-gloves The issue is that my remote is not working properly and I would have to replace either the garage door ckt board ($65-$90) or buy a new garage door drive completely. Also, since this is IoT, I can open/close and check the status of the garage door from anywhere I have internet access.

Too many steps...not really. BTW, do you have issues with shaking juice bottles too...(just kidding)

2008-HPNA (RED)
Darkside #1720

Last edited by wingpilot08; 03-08-2017 at 09:08 AM.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Seasoned Member

So I have to add $85 US. pair of gloves to the list? I'd rather use that money to buy a wifi enabled garage door opener.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
My solution attached.
Green for Gate, Blue for Garage.
Large enough to hit with gloves on.
$4, eBay.

Jim

[And I do have My-Q Garage Door Openers on two doors - so I could always whip out my phone...]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gate - Garage On.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	445.2 KB
ID:	180025  

2013 Honda F6B
2003 Honda ST1100P
2008 Honda Nighthawk 250 (Teaching my daughter to ride).
www.RydePyrat.com
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecyclone View Post
So I have to add $85 US. pair of gloves to the list? I'd rather use that money to buy a wifi enabled garage door opener.
That was just to show that the gloves are available...got mine for less than $20...and this IS Wifi enabled

and get an additional $100 to add to the $85...https://www.samsclub.com/sams/1-2-hp...17=1o7&veh=sem

2008-HPNA (RED)
Darkside #1720

Last edited by wingpilot08; 03-08-2017 at 10:11 AM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
My solution attached.
Green for Gate, Blue for Garage.
Large enough to hit with gloves on.
$4, eBay.

Jim

[And I do have My-Q Garage Door Openers on two doors - so I could always whip out my phone...]
I like those illuminated switches. I guess I'll be updating mine now .

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Completed the project this weekend. I was able to add to the Blynk app a virtual LED on my phone that shows if the garage door is open with a red virtual LED, if the garage door is close the virtual LED changes to green.

Total spent on the project was about $15.00...NICE!
cycledude, Bluecyclone and JMartin like this.

2008-HPNA (RED)
Darkside #1720

Last edited by wingpilot08; 03-13-2017 at 08:41 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:40 PM
Seasoned Member

I am curious about something here. A garage door does not send out any signals that indicate whether the door is open or closed. A transmitter just sends an on command, and the opener determines the direction of the motor in one of a couple of different ways, depending on the design.

So how does the app on your phone know whether the door is open or closed?

Being a tech geek, I love little projects like this, sometimes just to learn and see if my ideas work. From that standpoint, I applaud your creativity.

But being a knowledgeable tech geek also makes me avoid IoT devices like the plague, simply because the security is so poor on almost all of them. (It is often nonexistent) Knowledgeable computer guys will not go anywhere near them. I will never hook up any smart devices like light bulbs, thermostats, or devices like Alexa to my network, because they all have to connect to remote servers over the Internet, making them extremely vulnerable hacking points into a home’s private network. It’s like leaving the door to your house open. There are some really cool and tempting IoT devices on the market, but it just isn’t worth the risk. The only system I would ever use is one that operates 100% isolated on my local network, and never phones home.

Last edited by Sparky57; 03-12-2017 at 08:42 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Seasoned Member

My solution works well, but it is somewhat low tech. I just reach and push the button on the opener in the cubby gloves or no gloves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1054.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	181033  

Any good reason to stay out of someone else’s mess is a gift to both parties.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page