Won't Start - Page 4 - GL1800Riders
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:46 PM
GL1800 Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun42 View Post
Me too
You should keep an eye on your mileage, something caused it to fuel foul those plugs and it might be the fuel pressure regulator. If it allows the rail pressure to rise too high, your fuel mileage will go down and it might foul the plugs again.

Rob's Candy Red '04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun42 View Post
So this is the rest of the story. After checking the spark and checking to see if it was getting fuel (Rob when I pulled the plugs I could smell gas on them, not wet). I decided to go back and check everything all over again. everything was coming up roses. The one thing I decided to do was put in another set of plugs. When this problem started, one of the first things I did was replace them. Not putting a lot of stock in this, I was totally and I mean totally surprised when the **** thing started. Problem solved.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that was willing to take their time and share their knowledge with me. That is what is so great about this forum.

thanks
Ron
I suspect that you found the result of an still unknown problem. With the GWs type of fuel system, you shouldn't have flooded it so bad that the plugs wouldn't fire. Something else is going on.

Cuda HP383 335hp 4 speed Shaker - Corvette Stingray 3LT 6.2L 455hp
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:33 PM
Seasoned Member

This isn't over. Those plugs were wet for a reason. No spark. Whatever was wrong is OK now. For a while. Not trying to be a downer but only three things have to happen in a cylinder for combustion to occur. Spark , Fuel , Compression. Well we know he had fuel. Plugs were wet. We know he had compression. It runs OK now and lack of compression would be a mechanical or physical problem. Those kind of problems don't heal themselves. Which leaves us with spark. If it had spark all along those plugs would not have been wet. Just saying. Don't ride it far from home.

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I have to clear something up, I really appreciate the opportunity the talk this through with everyone, you all have given me things to checkout. Your right I don't think this is over. I may not have stated the fuel situation correctly, when I checked the plug the second time. The plugs were not wet. When I pulled them out I smelled the end of the plugs and could smell gas but the end of the plugs were dry. I then put in a second set of new plugs, that when it started.

I plan to continue checking things, the fuel regulator. When I start the bike I never give it any gas until it starts.

thanks again for helping me think this through.
Ron

2008 Metalic Red 1800
1998 Silver 1500
2005 VTX 1300C
2003 750 Shadow
CSC trailer
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:02 AM
Seasoned Member

If spark maybe have bad ground / loose ground for coils or ecm . Keep us posted.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Thinnking about the possibility of an intermittent failure of the Crank Position Sensor, so I read a previous thread on one not cranking. However, that sensor failing SHOULD throw a code 19 which we do not have here. Hmmm? Maybe the OP is not getting codes because of the trike sidestand mod.

Read this thread with particular attention to the last post by (super smart) techdude2000.

Bike won't start!

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:41 PM
Seasoned Member

On another forum for F6B's there was several failures of the CKP with no code. One guy fought it for months before a resolution. It was random. In all cases someone finally made an educated guess and replaced it. Symptoms were like ' bike don't start and then bike starts next day'. Or two days later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page