GL1800Riders Forums banner

Won't Start

3K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  Shooter F6B 
#1 ·
Just another won't start problem. It's an 09 with everything but the airbag. Saturday I started it and backed it off my lift to move it so I could put a friends bike on it. Sunday afternoon went to start it and it won't start. The engine will rotate but won't fire. No low beam lights. This bike has always started except for when the battery needed to be replaced. Cranked the engine for 30 seconds and no F1 codes. Checked all the fuses and relays everything is good. Load tested the battery and all is good.

Any ideas would be very appreciated

thanks
Ron

#12 ·
I removed the negative connection and put a meter between the post on the battery and the cable off. With the key in the off I still had a draw of 13.98 v

#15 ·
Since it was in Reverse when last running just mak sure it is out of reverse completely. Turn key on, make sure the neutral light is on, roll the bike forward and backwards, and try to start the bike again.

#25 ·
good spark should be "blue" and go good 1/2 inch . hold it to crash bar. slowly pull away. my 08 i bought an took forever to realize it was coils-all 3 bad. had spark but weak. would start when cold n with new plugs . good luck.

#26 ·
Have a good spark and when I pulled the plugs they had fuel on them

#33 ·
This isn't over. Those plugs were wet for a reason. No spark. Whatever was wrong is OK now. For a while. Not trying to be a downer but only three things have to happen in a cylinder for combustion to occur. Spark , Fuel , Compression. Well we know he had fuel. Plugs were wet. We know he had compression. It runs OK now and lack of compression would be a mechanical or physical problem. Those kind of problems don't heal themselves. Which leaves us with spark. If it had spark all along those plugs would not have been wet. Just saying. Don't ride it far from home.

#34 ·
I have to clear something up, I really appreciate the opportunity the talk this through with everyone, you all have given me things to checkout. Your right I don't think this is over. I may not have stated the fuel situation correctly, when I checked the plug the second time. The plugs were not wet. When I pulled them out I smelled the end of the plugs and could smell gas but the end of the plugs were dry. I then put in a second set of new plugs, that when it started.

I plan to continue checking things, the fuel regulator. When I start the bike I never give it any gas until it starts.

thanks again for helping me think this through.
Ron

#35 ·
If spark maybe have bad ground / loose ground for coils or ecm . Keep us posted.

#36 ·
Thinnking about the possibility of an intermittent failure of the Crank Position Sensor, so I read a previous thread on one not cranking. However, that sensor failing SHOULD throw a code 19 which we do not have here. Hmmm? Maybe the OP is not getting codes because of the trike sidestand mod.

Read this thread with particular attention to the last post by (super smart) techdude2000.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1800-tech-board/312754-bike-won-t-start.html

#37 ·
On another forum for F6B's there was several failures of the CKP with no code. One guy fought it for months before a resolution. It was random. In all cases someone finally made an educated guess and replaced it. Symptoms were like ' bike don't start and then bike starts next day'. Or two days later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.