Alternator - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Just a FYI, online order worked with PayPal.

Thanks Mr. Machine!

-Don
"Simple is as simple does."

DS#788

Current inventory-

2008 GL1800P- Challenger Brown Metallic
2013 Victory Vision Tour- Solid Black
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R- Metallic Spark Black
2002 Kawasaki KZ1000p(olice)- Black/White

Links-

Walrus crumbs-http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...3fXcRKf8f5YLSy

Victory Vision forum-http://gl1800riders.com/forums/74-wi...-new-bike.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
I see AJ-Electric has the OEM Honda alternator for the '01-'04 for sale at a much cheaper price. That's a new unit , not rebuilt. If I read techdudes post #2 correctly, he is saying the older wings can use the alternator designed for the '06>.

Allen

http://store.aj-elec.com/catalog/pro...1e09f5d0327ae3
Yep, Allen the newer bikes have a higher output alternator. Other than that they are identical. I remember it not being a huge difference in output. I sprung for the little bigger one, but my bike is a 08'.

I'm sure Techdude can quote off the top of his head, what amps at any certain RPM for each alternator. That guy loves that sh!t.

-Don
"Simple is as simple does."

DS#788

Current inventory-

2008 GL1800P- Challenger Brown Metallic
2013 Victory Vision Tour- Solid Black
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R- Metallic Spark Black
2002 Kawasaki KZ1000p(olice)- Black/White

Links-

Walrus crumbs-http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...3fXcRKf8f5YLSy

Victory Vision forum-http://gl1800riders.com/forums/74-wi...-new-bike.html
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Yep, Allen the newer bikes have a higher output alternator. Other than that they are identical. I remember it not being a huge difference in output. I sprung for the little bigger one, but my bike is a 08'.

I'm sure Techdude can quote off the top of his head, what amps at any certain RPM for each alternator. That guy loves that sh!t.
I can quote him! Not that I always understand.

21 Spline Shaft

"The spline count is the same for all years of the 1800. The only option you have is to put an 06 or newer alternator on it, but there's a catch, the 06 and newer alternator is rated for more output power but the 06 and newer bikes spin it faster as well. All this means, is if you put the higher output alternator on your 03, you still won't get the full potential out of it, but it will be able to handle a little more load than the 03 version.

Note: This has been done and there's no adverse effects, before the nay sayers chime in!"
Walrus likes this.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
I have 150,000+ miles on my original alternator and I'm really thinking on giving the ol' AJ a call. I been hunting Ebay for one off a wreck, on and off for a year or so. Throwing a $100+ for one off a wreck with unknown miles, or just about as many miles as mine doesn't sound very appealing.
Mine is still working fine at 155,000 but seems to be making more noise, possibly bearing going bad. will install the new one and have old one for spare.
Walrus likes this.

2008 Titanium Gl1800
G709 @ 39 psi
Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS RFT @ 28 to 30 psi
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:27 PM
GL1800 Doctor

Ok, I'm not sure I love this sh!t, but the older alternator is rated at 1100 watts and the newer ones are 1300 watts. Honda doesn't give us the actual amp rating, but it's probably 90A and 100A respectively. The rpm that it is spinning at isn't really important after it reaches the minimum for it to output a nominal load. That means the newer engine spinning it faster is not really what causes the higher output, it's the actual regulator and diode bridge that's used inside the unit. Your 03 will only get out what it needs so there's no danger in using the higher output unit in it. Now, with that said, you could feasibly add enough lighting and other electrical bobbles to load it to its full potential and that might cause an issue with the main fuse. The main fuse is sized for the system and bike and exceeding its size will blow it, but not because the alternator can handle it.
Walrus likes this.

Rob's Candy Red '04
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

http://myplace.frontier.com/~hemi-roid/ Another great service co!
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:57 PM
Seasoned Member

I ordered the OEM alternator for the 2001-2004. I figure at 113000+ miles it is still working , but better to pull it now and not have to worry about so much when on the big ride this summer. It's rated at the OEM specs of 75 A. so considering everything that draws power on the bike is either OEM or LEDs, I should have plenty of battery charging available. Partzilla wanted $305 for the OEM alternator.

Allen

http://store.aj-elec.com/catalog/pro...1e09f5d0327ae3

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse1800 View Post
I can quote him! Not that I always understand.

21 Spline Shaft

"The spline count is the same for all years of the 1800. The only option you have is to put an 06 or newer alternator on it, but there's a catch, the 06 and newer alternator is rated for more output power but the 06 and newer bikes spin it faster as well. All this means, is if you put the higher output alternator on your 03, you still won't get the full potential out of it, but it will be able to handle a little more load than the 03 version.

Note: This has been done and there's no adverse effects, before the nay sayers chime in!"

Welcome to what I assume is a rather big club.

Allen
Walrus likes this.

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:49 AM
Contributing Member

AJ electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdude2000 View Post
Ok, I'm not sure I love this sh!t, but the older alternator is rated at 1100 watts and the newer ones are 1300 watts. Honda doesn't give us the actual amp rating, but it's probably 90A and 100A respectively. The rpm that it is spinning at isn't really important after it reaches the minimum for it to output a nominal load. That means the newer engine spinning it faster is not really what causes the higher output, it's the actual regulator and diode bridge that's used inside the unit. Your 03 will only get out what it needs so there's no danger in using the higher output unit in it. Now, with that said, you could feasibly add enough lighting and other electrical bobbles to load it to its full potential and that might cause an issue with the main fuse. The main fuse is sized for the system and bike and exceeding its size will blow it, but not because the alternator can handle it.

techdude is right as usual If you look at AJ's description of the two alternators old one 75 amps new one 80 amps
New one has different internal regulator and schedule and internal parts which I presume is different diodes

Man I sure am starting to envy Allen's up coming ride

Better to travel the right road alone than follow a crowd going the wrong direction.

Managers do things right, Leaders do the right thing!!
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:47 AM
Seasoned Member

I wonder about this...says 100 amp...1 yr warranty

http://www.rareelectrical.com/i-2688...-a5tg2079.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page