Need to replace my Battery - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:14 AM
Supporting Vendor

Your 2010 calls for the new GYZ Yuasa battery. It has larger plates and a higher amp/hour rating than the YTX series Yuasa batteries. It is essentially a larger capacity battery in the same size footprint of the YTX. It also weighs a little more.

The only other option might be to put in a new Lithium-IRON (LiFeP04) type battery. They are pricey (around $200), but they don't suffer many of the short falls of a lead acid, namely sulfation and self discharge issues. I have one in another bike that is almost 10 years old now and still going like brand new. Another good point is that they weigh almost nothing compared to a lead acid battery. I think mine weighs about 1 or 2 lbs total. You also don't have to put it on a trickle charger when not in use, because it doesn't self-discharge at all. I've left mine static for 6 months with zero loss of power.

The only down side to these batteries, other than initial cost, is that they can be slow to develop current in colder temps. However, I've read they have a newer generation of these batteries that works much better in colder temps. The one I have is the first generation, and the only time I've noticed it cranking a bit slow is when left outside overnight in temps below 35 degrees.

GL1800 Maintenance Videos - 20 Disc Set

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Dealer/Installer

Follow Me on Facebook

Last edited by Fred H.; 03-19-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:24 AM
HPJ
Seasoned Member

Fred,

Any reason the GYZ Yuasa would not be the "best" battery choice for a 2001 - 2005 GL1800?

...and if we wanted to spend about double the money, where would be the best place to buy a LiFeP04 LITHIUM-IRON Battery?

It seems that the L- Iron battery might last forever and be the one to buy if not riding in 35 degree or less weather... ??
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:45 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPJ View Post
Fred,

Any reason the GYZ Yuasa would not be the "best" battery choice for a 2001 - 2005 GL1800?

...and if we wanted to spend about double the money, where would be the best place to buy a LiFeP04 LITHIUM-IRON Battery?

It seems that the L- Iron battery might last forever and be the one to buy if not riding in 35 degree or less weather... ??
The GYZ will physically fit in an older GL1800, but you'll have to modify the terminal ends on the battery cables to make them fit, since the terminal blocks on the GLZ are longer.

As for the Litium Iron batteries, I'm not up to speed on the latest generation of them and if they really do work better in colder temps now, so you'll have to try one at your own risk. I suspect that as the technology matures, you'll see them on more and more equipment. The one I have on my Kawasaki has worked great but I live in a warm climate so cold temps hasn't been an issue. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts, going on 10 years now already. I had one on my 2009 Wing, but didn't put it back on when I got the 2012, I'm still waiting for the OEM battery to give out. I put a spare Lithium Iron I had in my Garden tractor and it sits for 6 months at a time without being charged and fires up every time, no fuss.
William Anzik likes this.

Follow Me on Facebook

Last edited by Fred H.; 03-20-2017 at 02:49 PM.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Fred, In your post yesterday you said, "Your 2010 calls for the new GYZ Yuasa battery." This caught my eye as I recently ordered a battery. Is this something new, and where would one find this information? I recently ordered for a 2010 (direct line parts) and was told the correct battery was "YTX20L-BS". For some reason they substituted "YTX20HL-BS". Should I start over?

Last edited by philipintexas; 03-21-2017 at 01:59 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipintexas View Post
Fred, In your post yesterday you said, "Your 2010 calls for the new GYZ Yuasa battery." This caught my eye as I recently ordered a battery. Is this something new, and where would one find this information? I recently ordered for a 2010 (Ron Ayers) and was told the correct battery was "YTX20L-BS". For some reason they substituted "YTX20HL-BS". Should I start over?
The YTX20HL-BS will be a PITA to connect to your battery cables.
The terminals on the HL version are different than those on the L version.

2013 F6B, black, with ABS
If it ain't broke, try to fix it anyways
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Just and fyi, when I got on the YUSA website and entered the info on my bike, the battery I listed is the battery they recommended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPJ View Post
msrvpeig,

The one you provided the link to is 270 cold cranking amps.

Look just below that one and there is the 310 cold cranking amp version... only 4 bucks more, it is the one I purchased.

TerryH
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Seasoned Member

I have a YTX20HL-BS for sale in the Classified section. Somehow I ordered it for my 2010 but it is the correct battery for 2001-2008! or Rune.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old Today, 10:12 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipintexas View Post
I have a YTX20HL-BS for sale in the Classified section. Somehow I ordered it for my 2010 but it is the correct battery for 2001-2008! or Rune.
Phillip, I believe that battery will fit on your 2010 and work ok without any issues. But the stock battery that comes on the bike from the factory is the GYZ version. It is a 20 amp/hour battery instead of a 18 amp/hour. Honda started putting the newer GYZ batteries on bikes in 2009. It doesn't mean anything was wrong with the YTX, but the GYZ represented the newest technology and a slight capacity improvement so Honda started using it as soon as it was available to them.

It is also interesting to note that the GYZ series first showed up on factory GoldWings 2 full years before the battery was available to the public. You couldn't even order one as a parts replacement for the first couple of years. The only way you could get one was to buy a new GoldWing. Many parts places still list the YTX as a replacement part as a result. Vendors always supply their very best products to OEM's for installation in vehicles, and this is just further proof of that. This is why I tell folks to take good care of the original battery that comes in their bikes, because it is usually the best one you'll ever have.

Follow Me on Facebook
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old Today, 10:39 AM
HPJ
Seasoned Member

Fred H.,

What will it take to install the GYZ into my 2005 that has the YTX?

What will I have to modify to be able to use the GYZ in place of the YTZ?

Tags
battery , goldwing battery , replacement battery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page