ABS issue - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

ABS issue

On a previous trip I blew out a seal on the final drive. I took it to a dealer that installed a trike take-off and continued on the trip. The mechanic told me there was something wrong with the ABS but I opted not to stay around. The ABS was fine prior to the swap out. When I got home i asked the local dealer about it but he said it would be $300+ just to look at it due to having to take so much stuff off. No thank you.

Any ideas on what it might be. I'm thinking that it has to be something in the area of the swap since nothing else was touched. The sensor ring is in place and looks to be lined up with the sensor. Is there wiring or whatever that may have been pinched, disconnected, or damaged? I'm not a mechanic so can't be much more help than that.

TIA for any information you might come up with.

2008 Metallic Red ABS
2010 Hannigan Sierra Trailer
Livin' on the DARKSIDE!
Proud Dad
Finally back in TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:35 PM
Seasoned Member

I just looked at the rear sensor on my 07 and it is crowded back there. I removed the muffler and was able to get the sensor out to clean/inspect.

Too bad you are not closer. I could check for codes and pull the sensor for you.

Ron
Belton Tx
07 GW ABS
91 BMW K75RT ABS
56 Harley FL ABS on front only
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Other than them telling you "something" was wrong, can you tell if it is malfunctioning? When you start the bike does the ABS light come on, then as you roll a few feet does the light go off? Have you tested the ABS function, it's fairly easy to lock the rear wheel on a wet surface and not too dangerous.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thank you Phillip, I would definitely come by if I were closer. You are right, its a little tight in there. I did take a toothbrush sized wire brush to the ring a couple of weeks ago but still get the light. It'll be a while before I have the time to take the bike apart enough to really get in there.

Wannabee, the light comes on immediately and never goes off. The brakes do lock up so that tells me the ABS is disabled.

2008 Metallic Red ABS
2010 Hannigan Sierra Trailer
Livin' on the DARKSIDE!
Proud Dad
Finally back in TEXAS
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:32 AM
GL1800 Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTexan View Post
Thank you Phillip, I would definitely come by if I were closer. You are right, its a little tight in there. I did take a toothbrush sized wire brush to the ring a couple of weeks ago but still get the light. It'll be a while before I have the time to take the bike apart enough to really get in there.

Wannabee, the light comes on immediately and never goes off. The brakes do lock up so that tells me the ABS is disabled.
You should retrieve the failure code to see what it thinks is wrong. Perform the test and come back with the flashed number and I can look it up for you.

RETRIEVAL:
1. Remove the No. 5 and 6 control motor fuses from the fuse box with the ignition switch turned to OFF to be sure that each fuse is not burned out.
• If either fuse is burned out, perform the troubleshooting of problem
code “4” (No. 5 fuse) or “5” (No. 6 fuse) without installing the fuse.
2. Turn the ignition switch to ON. The ABS indicator should come on.
3. Wait for 5 seconds and the ABS indicator goes off.
4. Install either the No. 5 or the No. 6 fuse immediately after the ABS
indicator is off (within 3 seconds).
5. The problem code is indicated by the number of times the ABS indi-
cator blinks.

Considering what they were doing to the bike, I would guess they damaged the rear wheel sensor or its wire while swapping the rearend. If they did damage the sensor and/or its wire, you may have to replace it. The connector for it is really fun to get to...it's under the gas tank near the G1 frame connection point.

Rob's Candy Red '04

Last edited by techdude2000; 03-19-2017 at 02:26 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Pulled the final, and ruined the sensor. That's my guess. Done it myself, because I forgot about the hidden sensor. Luckily, I didn't ruin the sensor, but came close. If one gives the final a big jerk, it's gonna ruin the sensor, if one doesn't realize it has to be unbolted before pulling final.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

. . Cabernet Red,
. . 06 comfort, nav, abs, Smartire, bikemp3, Baker.
. . Modified tagalong

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page