Headlight aiming? - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Headlight aiming?

OK guys...it appears that my left low beam headlight is aimed lower than the right. So, how do I fix it?
Thanks,
Jerry

oops...pertinent info
2008 gl1800 level 4

Last edited by chiefgrub; 03-19-2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:24 PM
Seasoned Member

By turning the manual adjustment nut underneath it

Greg

SFC, U.S. Army (Retired)
2004 GL1800

Last edited by Retired60mech; 03-19-2017 at 02:26 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:28 PM
GL1800 Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefgrub View Post
OK guys...it appears that my left low beam headlight is aimed lower than the right. So, how do I fix it?
Thanks,
Jerry
Start the bike and check to see that the electric level adjuster for it operates correctly, then manually adjust it until it matches the other side shining on a wall at 20 feet.

Rob's Candy Red '04

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

The electric adjuster operates...how do you adjust manually?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Read the post above !!! Shows diagram

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

You might also check that the bulb is seated all the way in the socket.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:18 PM
Seasoned Member

12mm

'06 Chrome on Black on Black
#notmypresident
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:44 PM
Seasoned Member

However, here is an old post concerning headlight alignment. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...ght-Adjustment

05-11-2013#6ssncob

Be careful raising the light level, easy to get too high and blind other drivers with the glare. (been there, done that). Put your bike on the center stand some distance away from a flat wall - whether it be at the end of your driveway or the local store's back wall. Use a towel to cover one of the lights.

Put the lights at 10, go to the wall with some tape and mark the current cutoff point of the light. Now switch the towel, and mark where the other light hits. Odds are they aren't the same height (haven't seen one yet be equal, Honda seems to always have one lower than the other).

Since you currently think the lights are too low, then go adjust your lights to 3 and see where the cutoff is. Now raise the lights using the light adjustment screw shown in srobak's post. I use a 12 mm socket on a long extension. Turns easy enough you don't need a ratchet on the end of the extension. Just shine a light up from underneath the tunnel, easy to spot (silver nut against a black everything else). Bring each light up to an equal level - to whichever tape mark height you want to use.

Now, when you ride with your lights at a 7 level or so, they should be high enough for you without glaring other people. That also leaves you with the ability to raise them higher out on the back roads with no traffic. Easiest check is to ride behind some other riders and ask them if they're glaring or just right. Adjust as necessary.

05-11-2013#7
tfdeputydawg

HEADLAMP AIM PROCEDURE
Proper headlamp aim is achieved by adjusting the upper(high) beams.
Bike needs to be on a level floor, standing upright, loaded as you normally ride. (re, 1up-you for most), with pre load set as you ride 1up, placed 25' from a wall to the headlamp lens in front of the upper beam. I would suggest the auto adjust dial be set in the middle position for this aiming.
Measure the distance from the floor up to the center of the upper beam bulbs. Mark this height on the wall and draw a horizontal line at this height.
Sight a point on the wall that is on the centerline of the bike. Draw a vertical line on the wall placed on this center line.
turn on the upper beams.
Cover one of the headlamps.
Use the manual adjusters accessed from under the fairing.
Adjust the vertical until the hot spot of the upper beam bulb is just under the horizontal line on the wall.
Adjust the horizontal until the upper beam hot spot is just to the right of the vertical line on the wall.
Cover the headlamp just completed, and repeat procedure on the other headlamp.
Make a small mark on the auto adjust panel so you can return to the 1up setting.
Now have both headlamps uncovered and have the usual passenger you carry sit on the bike w/you, set the preload for 2up, and dial in the auto adjust dial for proper aim and mark that position on the panel by the dial. You can repeat this for loaded 1up, loaded 2up, trailer, etc.
You get what you get for low beam aim depending on how good the headlamp design was to start with!

05-11-2013#8
ssncob

dawg - I don't disagree with your procedure - it's a good one. I do disagree with using the high beams to set the lights though. You're not using high beams around others, you are using low beams, and that's what most use in a daily riding environment and what we'll notice if not pointing to where we need them.

When I used to do vehicle inspections for Texas DPS, single beam headlights were checked and adjusted on the low beam setting. Low beams is what matters - if the high beams are off you may highlight aircraft , but you won't bother other drivers.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Yeah, I missed it the first time.
Found it and that did the trick.
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Jerry
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssncob View Post
However, here is an old post concerning headlight alignment. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...ght-Adjustment

05-11-2013#6ssncob

Be careful raising the light level, easy to get too high and blind other drivers with the glare. (been there, done that). Put your bike on the center stand some distance away from a flat wall - whether it be at the end of your driveway or the local store's back wall. Use a towel to cover one of the lights.

Put the lights at 10, go to the wall with some tape and mark the current cutoff point of the light. Now switch the towel, and mark where the other light hits. Odds are they aren't the same height (haven't seen one yet be equal, Honda seems to always have one lower than the other).

Since you currently think the lights are too low, then go adjust your lights to 3 and see where the cutoff is. Now raise the lights using the light adjustment screw shown in srobak's post. I use a 12 mm socket on a long extension. Turns easy enough you don't need a ratchet on the end of the extension. Just shine a light up from underneath the tunnel, easy to spot (silver nut against a black everything else). Bring each light up to an equal level - to whichever tape mark height you want to use.

Now, when you ride with your lights at a 7 level or so, they should be high enough for you without glaring other people. That also leaves you with the ability to raise them higher out on the back roads with no traffic. Easiest check is to ride behind some other riders and ask them if they're glaring or just right. Adjust as necessary.

05-11-2013#7
tfdeputydawg

HEADLAMP AIM PROCEDURE
Proper headlamp aim is achieved by adjusting the upper(high) beams.
Bike needs to be on a level floor, standing upright, loaded as you normally ride. (re, 1up-you for most), with pre load set as you ride 1up, placed 25' from a wall to the headlamp lens in front of the upper beam. I would suggest the auto adjust dial be set in the middle position for this aiming.
Measure the distance from the floor up to the center of the upper beam bulbs. Mark this height on the wall and draw a horizontal line at this height.
Sight a point on the wall that is on the centerline of the bike. Draw a vertical line on the wall placed on this center line.
turn on the upper beams.
Cover one of the headlamps.
Use the manual adjusters accessed from under the fairing.
Adjust the vertical until the hot spot of the upper beam bulb is just under the horizontal line on the wall.
Adjust the horizontal until the upper beam hot spot is just to the right of the vertical line on the wall.
Cover the headlamp just completed, and repeat procedure on the other headlamp.
Make a small mark on the auto adjust panel so you can return to the 1up setting.
Now have both headlamps uncovered and have the usual passenger you carry sit on the bike w/you, set the preload for 2up, and dial in the auto adjust dial for proper aim and mark that position on the panel by the dial. You can repeat this for loaded 1up, loaded 2up, trailer, etc.
You get what you get for low beam aim depending on how good the headlamp design was to start with!

05-11-2013#8
ssncob

dawg - I don't disagree with your procedure - it's a good one. I do disagree with using the high beams to set the lights though. You're not using high beams around others, you are using low beams, and that's what most use in a daily riding environment and what we'll notice if not pointing to where we need them.

When I used to do vehicle inspections for Texas DPS, single beam headlights were checked and adjusted on the low beam setting. Low beams is what matters - if the high beams are off you may highlight aircraft , but you won't bother other drivers.

From one submariner to another, thanks shipmate! I had 5 boats...Nathanael Greene, Pennsylvania, Wyoming, Providence and Maryland.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page