• 1 Post By Rail32
  • 2 Post By techdude2000
  • 1 Post By Pigeon Roost

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Clutch Issue

I have a 2009 airbag model with about 115,000 miles on it. The dealer changed the clutch fluid last winter, and the bike has been stored for several months. Today when I rolled it out, the clutch lever has no resistance when I pull it in. I pumped it a bunch, but it made no difference.

I figured I'd start by trying to bleed the the system. I don't see anything leaking.

Ideas?

Jeff

2009 Yellow Airbag
Bushtec Quantum Sport
1978 GL1000 Naked

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Air is only thing that will cause no resistance that I have ever experienced . Bleeding should do the trick. Check all banjo bolts for tightness first though .
silverbullet05 likes this.

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full.

Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
..Well, having Boomer1832 appointed as The Moderator Over-See-Er might be.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
I bled the clutch, went for test ride, and all seems well. I don't understand how air would have entered the system.

Looks like it will be another week or so before it gets nice out again. I left the lower cowl off for now, just in case something is leaking.

Jeff

2009 Yellow Airbag
Bushtec Quantum Sport
1978 GL1000 Naked

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:02 AM
GL1800 Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aht_six View Post
I bled the clutch, went for test ride, and all seems well. I don't understand how air would have entered the system.

Looks like it will be another week or so before it gets nice out again. I left the lower cowl off for now, just in case something is leaking.
The air was most likely in the system from the dealer fluid swap and it migrated up to the master cylinder plunger. This is a common occurrence after a fluid change with a tech in a hurry to get done.
FLA-ORANGE and Ironhorse1800 like this.

Rob's Candy Red '04
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Once you get the air out, Speed-bleeders are you friend.

Ian (IBA# 65781)

Current Street: 2008 GL1800 Level II - R303 Dark Red Metallic, Various & Sundry Add-ons

I liked 2-Strokes...a lot
Still do.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail32 View Post
Air is only thing that will cause no resistance that I have ever experienced . Bleeding should do the trick. Check all banjo bolts for tightness first though .

Put on center stand and put damp towel under reservoir to protect paint/plastic. Check fluid level in hand lever reservoir. If OK, bleed. Gravity bleeding alone will likely clear the line from master down to fitting, there may be a tiny stubborn bubble at the fitting that has to be bled by pumping lever. When done, make sure the reservoir is not over filled. Leave room for expansion due t heat and also clutch wear.

prs
silverbullet05 likes this.

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page