LED Headlights - GL1800Riders
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

LED Headlights

I'd like to change my headlights to LEDs. I tried Show Chrome brand bulb, 2000 Lumens 80watts and found them to be less bright and less distance than the Halogen. Not at all what I expected, as I have LED headlights on another bike, although that bike came with them from the factory.

Can anyone tell me some other brands you've had luck with?

Also, I'm wondering if the assembly itself has anything to do with the lack of performance I saw. I notice that my other LED lights have a much different looking headlight assembly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 01:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I purchased these http://electricalconnection.com/inde...pe-gl1800-f6b/

On a trip that included Knoxville I stopped at EC at the end of a business day and Lewis installed them himself at no charge. It only took him about 15 - 20 minutes. I am very satisfied with them and have never been flashed by oncoming traffic. I very rarely ride at night so I just had the low beams installed.
slowrollin likes this.

Mike Lowary
Freeport, IL
King-ding-a-ling

2014 black GL1800 Level 3

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 02:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Electrical Connection and SoCalMotoGear are the 2 popular brands here.

Electrical Connection
Has a bulbs designed to look just like an H7 filament, rated at 4000LM and 6000K color temp. Has sort of a big round heatsink on the back. Uses same bulb for Low beam and high beam.

SoCalMotoGear
Uses a single LED that is optimally placed and the placement/package is designed specifically for the GL1800. Uses a wire mesh loom off the back for heatsink. Has different bulbs for Low beam and high beams. Lowbeam is 2400LM and 5000K color temp, high beam is 4800LM and 5500K color temp. Going from memory.

Well at least it used to be. At the first of the year 2017 SoCalMotoGear lowered the price of their bulbs, I assume to complete with electrical connection. Now I see just checking today they do not have separate bulbs for low and high beam. By popular demand Low beams are same as high beams at 4800LM and 5500K color temp.
slowrollin likes this.

2005 GL1800ABS 61,000mi
2003 ZG1000 132,000mi
IBA 28004
Darkside #1707

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 05:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slybones View Post
At the first of the year 2017 SoCalMotoGear lowered the price of their bulbs, I assume to complete with electrical connection. Now I see just checking today they do not have separate bulbs for low and high beam. By popular demand Low beams are same as high beams at 4800LM and 5500K color temp.
Yikes.
I can't imagine running the former high beam only bulb in the low beam socket.
Can you say "pi$$ed off oncoming traffic?"

2013 F6B, black, with ABS
If it ain't broke, try to fix it anyways
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 06:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird1 View Post
Yikes.
I can't imagine running the former high beam only bulb in the low beam socket.
Can you say "pi$$ed off oncoming traffic?"
No kidding. When I got my low beams I contacted them about running the high beams in the lows. They told me then that was NOT a good idea. Way to bright. I read that others don't get "flashed" with the Pathfinder low beams, but I sure do a lot and have lowered them so much that the OEM high beams are now pretty much useless. I haven't installed the Pathfinder high beams.

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Centramatics, Traxxion AK20s and Triple Tree WindBender w/rake
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 01:06 AM
Seasoned Member

I GOT SET (FROM OVERSEAS ) HAVENT PUT IN YET SUPPOSED TO BE SAME AS STOCK AS FAR AS BEAM GOES. WILL TRY N FIND INFO

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 01:11 AM
Seasoned Member

I also got 2 spot lights cree bulbs -4x10 = 40 watts each. Work great. Mounted under front cowl. Brighter than my hids. Has a 4 way switch- = good n bad - bright-not so brite- single flash fast- single flash slow. Bad is have to cycle thru to get which one you want. There made for bicycle so mounted on pipe and attached. Like $20 a piece delivered.
slowrollin likes this.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 01:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I ordered the EC bulbs through Wingstuff back in Nov 2016 and they were back-ordered at the time. They finally arrived in Jan 2017. I ordered both low and high beams for my '04 Wing. I got the low beams replaced pretty quickly, but when it came to the high beams, it took me 2 hrs to replace them as I wound up pulling the top cover off completely to get to the headlight bucket to get the bulb out. There is part of the main harness that runs right over the area where the bulb goes in and I had a hard time getting the heat sink put back on after getting the boot put back on. The right side went pretty quick after that and then just button everything up. The bulbs are great and I hope I never have to replace the high beam on that side. The only problem I had with the bulbs was that one set was missing the spacers that are critical for getting the bulbs secured in place properly. I called Wingstuff and they reached out to EC to get the spacers sent to me. This was on Friday and I had the spacers on Monday. Great service from both companies on this issue. The only reason I bought from Wingstuff instead of direct from EC was because I have a VIP membership with Wingstuff and got the bulbs at a discount price using that membership. The bulbs are bright and light up the road really well and with the high beams, they just enhance the viewing area. Can't complain about the lights themselves and would buy them again if needed.

Keith
slowrollin likes this.

1976 CB550-Four
1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2004 GL1800 Titanium

GWRRA - promoting Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge.

GWRRA # 400819
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 06:11 PM
Seasoned Member

I have the high and lows from EC and they were a b!tch to install the highs for sure my hands looked like I got in a fight with a alley cat!
They sure do light up the road though and they sure can see me coming down the road.

2010 Titanium level 1 new 3/12/11
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 11:20 PM
Contributing Member

Running Cree LEDS
3600 lumens 6000K bright white low beam
4800 lumens 6000K bright white high beam

very, very visible during the day (low beams)
crossing stopped traffic stays stopped when I flash the high beams
Also use the high beams during the day, when passing multiple cars, seems to keep everyone in line 'till I clear them.
Have not had anyone flash me during the day
Haven't rode at night but I'm sure I'd have to set the lights at the lowest setting and that still might be too much for oncoming traffic.
Since my riding is 99.9% daytime I'm pleased with the lights.
revlucmij and slowrollin like this.

Last edited by batmanmiami1; 03-28-2017 at 04:22 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page