Looking to buy a GL1800, advice? - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Don View Post
When I ride 2-up (infrequently), I get on the bike and make sure it is entered with the side stand down but the bike is NOT on the side stand. Then I have the co-rider mount. The side stand is down as a safety precaution.

I had major abdominal surgery and wanted to make sure I could handle the bike with her on it. I generally hold a bike upright when a passenger gets on. I'm 6 foot and 220 pounds. She is 6'1 and I'm not stupid enough to ask her what she weighs but I would estimate 240-250. I'll do anything for her and if she wants to ride, we'll ride.

Before I got sick, I did many a 700-900 mile day on my Connies. My current one looks new and was owned by probably the most anal previous owner you can imagine. He even put plastic caps on exposed nuts and grease fittings.

I'm going to miss the "WHAM" a Concours gives you at 6000 rpm but I figure the flat 6 'Wings should have a steady pull and while not as fast as my Connie, it should be fast enough. If I can listen to the news going to and from work, I may ride a 'Wing more than the Connie.

One thing that is making me lean to an 1800 over a 1500 is the timing chain over a belt on the earlier bikes. I paid my house off so I feel comfortable getting a load to get something fairly new and low miles. A $7000 note over 36 months will be a little under $200 per month plus interest. Add in some cash I've built up since the house payment went away and I should be able to get something decent.

Honk if you love Jesus.
text if you want to meet him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired guy View Post
I've got a 2010 level 3 with ABS at a great price $9800 that's still available.
Thanks, if you were closer, I'd look at it. Alas, 2000 miles is a bit far for me to travel to look at a bike. Between work and other demands, I can spend a weekend traveling but not a week or so.

Honk if you love Jesus.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet bob View Post
As of right now, mine is still for sale: Yellow '01 for sale Looks like you're this far away: https://www.mapquest.com/directions/.../in/evansville
I ran the route through my map program and it tells me it's a 5 hour drive. That's within my range. I'll keep your bike in mind. If I don't find something closer, I'll get in touch with you.

Anybody know someone looking for a Sport Touring that has the legs to stay with the Goldwings?

Honk if you love Jesus.

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' grouch View Post
I ran the route through my map program and it tells me it's a 5 hour drive. That's within my range. I'll keep your bike in mind. If I don't find something closer, I'll get in touch with you.

Anybody know someone looking for a Sport Touring that has the legs to stay with the Goldwings?
Knowin' ol' bullet bob like I do, he might just show up at your door on his '01. He doesn't need much excuse to go for a ride (especially if there's some peanut butter pie nearby)!
Alberta Beagle likes this.

'08 Pearl White Navi
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:45 PM

Stay away from those early 2000s ---- Honda doesn't stand behind their cracking frames!
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:59 PM

There are a lot of Goldwing's on the market, and a lot of Goldwing's sitting in their owners sheds because they have been taken off the market due to lack of interest, I am currently going to put an "03" with 37k in the shed, I am tired of the tire kickers wasting my time with a lot of talk and no money, ask around, esp retirement areas, you will be surprised what you will find, come to SoCal & drive my "03" home, bottom line $5,500

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

What years had trouble with the cracking frames? I'm seeing folks here talk about them but I've never seen when the issue was corrected.

Honk if you love Jesus.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKFRE View Post
Stay away from those early 2000s ---- Honda doesn't stand behind their cracking frames!
Don't believe everything you read on the internet, especially from people who are experts because they've made 3 posts on a motorcycle forum. It seems the problems started with the '03 in the welds. This is kinda like an oil thread. Everyone has a theory/opinion. The vast majority of early 2000's were/are excellent bikes. And BTW, looks like my bike is sold, so I'm not coming unglued because I'm trying to sell a 2000ish bike.
silverbullet05 likes this.

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 08:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddpole View Post
Knowin' ol' bullet bob like I do, he might just show up at your door on his '01. He doesn't need much excuse to go for a ride (especially if there's some peanut butter pie nearby)!
Tadd, you're sure right about that. But the insurance on 'ole yeller expired 4-3-17. Otherwise...........

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKFRE View Post
I'm calling BS on this. I just had the frame recall done on mine and Honda covered every bit of it; I paid not one penny out of pocket.
silverbullet05 likes this.

NRA Life Member because ... "Tyranny cannot be safe without a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." -James Madison
Motorcycles: '01 GL1800; 2014 DL650 Adventure; gone away already: 5 BMW's, 4 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's
------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page