Looking to buy a GL1800, advice? - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' grouch View Post
What years had trouble with the cracking frames? I'm seeing folks here talk about them but I've never seen when the issue was corrected.
The 01-04 GL1800's are subject to the frame crack recall. It's resolved in 2005+ bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:03 PM

1. Accident free.
2. Service record.
3. Stored in doors by a loving owner.
4. Color you can live with.
5. As a new and low miles as you can afford.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh20 View Post
The 01-04 GL1800's are subject to the frame crack recall. It's resolved in 2005+ bikes.

I have a early '04 with 180,000 miles. Two up and part of the time a camp trailer. No cracks, breaks or other frame problems.

'04 Titanium ABS
Double Darksider
IBA #22990

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 03:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Im not trying to be a smart arse or anything but have you considered something with 3 wheels.
Eventually for whatever reason I guess we will all have to consider the unavoidable that for various reasons another type of ride should be considered.

2009 GL1800 8A / Triumph Scrambler 900. Ridden where the geography includes glaciers, fiords, mountains, plains, subtropical forest, volcanic plateau, and miles of coastline are all within easy reach of each.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Im not trying to be a smart arse or anything but have you considered something with 3 wheels.
Eventually for whatever reason I guess we will all have to consider the unavoidable that for various reasons another type of ride should be considered.
Every Goldwing trike I've seen has been out of my price range. I don't expect to have someone give me a cheap price because of my winsome smile and girlish figure. I've had older 'Wings and like the general quality and I definitely want reverse. I figure up to about $8000 I can afford. If someone wanted to give me a good trade value for my current bike, go a little higher. Dealers don't want to give me anything and most 'Wing riders won't be interested in a Sport Touring bike. Concours owners are more loyal than Goldwing owners but there are only so many of them.

If the girlfriend didn't want to ride really bad, I think my riding days would be over. My first Connie got 104,000 miles in 9 years. 800-900 mile days weren't that rare. My current bike has gotten about 400 miles in the last year.

Honk if you love Jesus.
text if you want to meet him.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

How do the GL1800 bikes handle with car tires on the rear? I called about one that had a Michelin run flat on the rear. I've heard of them before but I wondered how they handle in curves. I don't expect a Goldwing to handle like my Concours, but I do like curves on a nice day and good road. I'm just wondering about the flatter tread surface compared to a dedicated motorcycle tire.

Honk if you love Jesus.
text if you want to meet him.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
How do the GL1800 bikes handle with car tires on the rear? I called about one that had a Michelin run flat on the rear. I've heard of them before but I wondered how they handle in curves. I don't expect a Goldwing to handle like my Concours, but I do like curves on a nice day and good road. I'm just wondering about the flatter tread surface compared to a dedicated motorcycle tire.
Go here and read to your hearts content. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/15-darkside-riders/
bullet bob and Ironhorse1800 like this.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Blue Highway][SIZE=2]

2010 Level 3 DDS#1146 IBA#55800 SS1K x2, SS2K,BB1500,BBGold Certified 50CC,BB1500 Pending
Disclaimer:This poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. This poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.
[/COLOR]
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
FWIW I just came back from a week long trip to the Smokies (north Georgia, southeastern Tennessee, southwestern North Carolina). On one particular stretch of GA Hwy 197 I was chasing a friend on his '02 GL1800. He has a car tire on the back of his and it did not slow him down.

Up until then I was undecided. Now I have an extra rim on the way to put a car tire on for my next rear tire...

NRA Life Member because ... "Tyranny cannot be safe without a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." -James Madison
Motorcycles: '01 GL1800; 2014 DL650 Adventure; gone away already: 5 BMW's, 4 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's
------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Regarding the DS tire on a bike for sale, don't let that be a determining factor. Spare rear wheels are cheap and easy to come by (I have 3!) and replacing tires is just normal upkeep.

If the DS tire is good and you decide you don't care for the way it handles, somebody will buy it from you.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Have you considered an F6B? There are many used ones at the $10K mark for 2013 models. The low speed handling and "top heavy" feeling are improved over a typical Wing in my experience. If you can find a dealer with one in stock I bet you can get a smoking deal.

Previous Honda's Include:
1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
2013 Honda F6B

Firefighter for over 27 years, follower of Christ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page