Looking to buy a GL1800, advice? - Page 4 - GL1800Riders
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' grouch View Post

Before I got sick, I did many a 700-900 mile day on my Connies. My current one looks new and was owned by probably the most anal previous owner you can imagine. He even put plastic caps on exposed nuts and grease fittings.

I'm going to miss the "WHAM" a Concours gives you at 6000 rpm but I figure the flat 6 'Wings should have a steady pull and while not as fast as my Connie, it should be fast enough. If I can listen to the news going to and from work, I may ride a 'Wing more than the Connie
You will be amazed on how much power the GL1800 has.

2008 Titanium - Audio, Comfort, Navigation, Billet lower tree, All balls, Led tail and head lights, Switchback front led turn signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 08:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Yes, I know it's a good price. I just bought a 2017 Goldwing and I don't have room in my garage for both of them, so I need to move it. And although it's in excellent condition it's got some miles on it and I'm adjusting the price for that. This may be the best deal in the country for a Goldwing in this condition.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I've had older 'Wings and like the general quality and I definitely want reverse. I figure up to about $8000 I can afford. If someone wanted to give me a good trade value for my current bike, go a little higher. Dealers don't want to give me anything and most 'Wing riders won't be interested in a Sport Touring bike. Concours owners are more loyal than Goldwing owners but there are only so many of them.

If the girlfriend didn't want to ride really bad, I think my riding days would be over. My first Connie got 104,000 miles in 9 years. 800-900 mile days weren't that rare. My current bike has gotten about 400 miles in the last year.
Hey Ol Grouch,

Tell me about your Connie.

Year, mileage, general condition, pros/cons, etc...

I have an 01 ABS with the Traxxion full mega monty, CB, Heated Grips, just under 80,000 miles. And an 02 ABS with some slight cosmetic damage to right rear side. Just under 58,000 miles.

I not above a short jaunt across country. I have relatives in Kansas and Illinois that I haven't seen in a while.

Rayjoe

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I had major abdominal surgery and wanted to make sure I could handle the bike with her on it. I generally hold a bike upright when a passenger gets on. I'm 6 foot and 220 pounds. She is 6'1 and I'm not stupid enough to ask her what she weighs but I would estimate 240-250. I'll do anything for her and if she wants to ride, we'll ride.

Before I got sick, I did many a 700-900 mile day on my Connies. My current one looks new and was owned by probably the most anal previous owner you can imagine. He even put plastic caps on exposed nuts and grease fittings.

I'm going to miss the "WHAM" a Concours gives you at 6000 rpm but I figure the flat 6 'Wings should have a steady pull and while not as fast as my Connie, it should be fast enough. If I can listen to the news going to and from work, I may ride a 'Wing more than the Connie.

One thing that is making me lean to an 1800 over a 1500 is the timing chain over a belt on the earlier bikes. I paid my house off so I feel comfortable getting a load to get something fairly new and low miles. A $7000 note over 36 months will be a little under $200 per month plus interest. Add in some cash I've built up since the house payment went away and I should be able to get something decent.
Check the load capacity... my bike (03') has a 400lb limit I believe.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

I swear, just when it looks like I'm getting ahead, something always pops up. I got in the car to head to the bank and credit union to see what kind of note I can get on a bike and A, my headlights failed (recall not done), and then I couldn't get the car over 30 mph and barely made it over a hill. Then I notice a puddle of fuel under my truck. After that, my old work car popped an axle. Three vehicles and all need major work. Sakes, I'm beginning to think malevolent spirits don't want me on a new bike.

Honk if you love Jesus.
text if you want to meet him.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Maybe "malevolent spirits" just want you to fix your other vehicles. Good luck with them.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainamerica View Post
Check the load capacity... my bike (03') has a 400lb limit I believe.

You must be new to Goldwing riding and have not seen very many go by with riders, passengers and all their gear.

'04 Titanium ABS
Double Darksider
IBA #22990
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Well, nobody seems interested in a great 2010 Level 3 ABS at $9800 so I'm dropping the price to $9500. I just don't have room for two bikes. I just took delivery of a 2017 GW. The 2010 is a great bike, never dropped, never damaged. I'm the original owner with all service records since new.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page