Looking to buy a GL1800, advice? - GL1800Riders
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Looking to buy a GL1800, advice?

The lady friend wants to ride. Up to last summer, I planned to carry her on my ZG1000 Kawasaki Concours. I love these bikes but they are a top heavy son of a gun. (I'm on my third one with the first one retired at 110,000 miles.) I spent two weeks in the hospital and due to surgery, I no longer have the upper body strength to hold it up with her on it. We went by a bike shop and tried several bikes. The only ones I could get off the side stand with her on the back were Goldwings and Valkyries. I'd rather have a radio for solo rides along with reverse so a Goldwing it is. The 1800 isn't much more than the 1500's I've looked at and I prefer the looks of the 1800 as well as the ease to replace the rear tire.

So, I'm looking at two GL1800 bikes. One is a 2002 with 66,000 miles and the other is a 2003 with 84,000 miles. Any tips on what to look for? How long does the timing chain last on these bikes? Any electrical gremlins to watch out for? (I had a GL1200 and learned about their stators the hard way.) Handling quirks? I'm leaning towards the 2002 but the '03 is a few miles from my house.

Honk if you love Jesus.
text if you want to meet him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Seasoned Member

I notice, that you are still on the board, hopefully learning all you can by searching around. The obvious things are frame recall, brake recall, maintenance records. Add-on's. '02's and 03's are very similar so go with which ever one runs out the best to you. Listen carefully while test riding and compare the 2 to decide. Others will join in with more ideas. Welcome to the forum.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Seasoned Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Just make sure to run the (You or the dealer) VIN # to make sure the recall work has been done on the bike.

I bought a 02 last August with 92.000 miles on it & am loving it!

2002 GL 1800
2012 650 Suzuki Burgman Trike
2006 650 Suzuki Burgman Standard
1989 Honda PC 800

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Check to see what the price difference is between the 02,03 and a 2005 by then the corrected the frame issue. That's important you intend to ride2 up I would think it would matter solo as well. But look read through the threads here you will learn a lot about the Wing...
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

I had today off so I spent some time making calls. Both bikes I was interested in were sold. They just forgot to remove the ads. 5 more the same thing. 2 more I can't get hold of anybody. My Concours rides just fine.

Honk if you love Jesus.
text if you want to meet him.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Seasoned Member

When I ride 2-up (infrequently), I get on the bike and make sure it is entered with the side stand down but the bike is NOT on the side stand. Then I have the co-rider mount. The side stand is down as a safety precaution.
Ironhorse1800 likes this.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' grouch View Post
I had today off so I spent some time making calls. Both bikes I was interested in were sold. They just forgot to remove the ads. 5 more the same thing. 2 more I can't get hold of anybody. My Concours rides just fine.
I concur with what others have said about the history and recall issues... for sure. One owner bikes might have a slight advantage.. but that of course depends.. I'll share and add here too, it took me a while to find the bike that was waiting for me. I looked at several, and made a few offers(very fair, it's part of doing biz..) and rode a few.. and it took 6 months once my wife and I were serious. So patience can pay off... and you'll meet some nice people along the way.

I started my search on the internet within about 50 miles, then branched out, and found something about 150 miles away.... even though we looked out to about 200 miles.. We planned a road trip... and we were ready for one... It was an adventure buying our bike... literally.. so just make it one if you can. These bikes are meant to travel... so if you have to travel a bit to get one... don't let that stop you if you can help it.

We bought a beautiful 2002 with 32,000 miles about 6yrs ago with a trailer, and it just took the right time, stars were aligned, and we knew it was meant to happen. If you can help it, just be patient... there's many Goldwings out there that are ready to go for just what you're looking for.. you'll find a very nice one too... It just might take a little time is all.
Good luck with your search....
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 09:33 AM
Seasoned Member

I've got a 2010 level 3 with ABS at a great price $9800 that's still available.
Dodgehemi61 likes this.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Seasoned Member

As of right now, mine is still for sale: Yellow '01 for sale Looks like you're this far away: https://www.mapquest.com/directions/.../in/evansville

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired guy View Post
I've got a 2010 level 3 with ABS at a great price $9800 that's still available.
That's a real good price on a 2010 level 3, the NADA value on your bike is 11,055 low end to 14,545 on the average sale price.

Vietnam Veteran 68-70 (9th Infantry Division)
Member of MOPH (Military Order of the Purple Heart)
GWTA Oregon Chapter A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page