"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post

Harley is also often publicly hammered for the low horsepower of their engines, so I imagine they are using the most aggressive ignition advance they possibly can.
HD is running aggressive ignition advance in the M8 motor. That is why they switched from ion sensing knock detection to an acceleration type knock sensor on each cylinder head.

Last edited by murf; 04-13-2017 at 09:24 PM.
post #23 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by becken View Post
http://www.toptiergas.com/

I read the claims for top tier gas and decided to try it in my Ranger pickup. By the third tankful I could definitely tell the engine was running better. Now I will go out of my way to find it. There is a BP station nearby that has ethanol free high test "boat fuel" and I use that in all my yard equipment as well as my motorcycles. Ethanol is very bad for anything with a carburetor and my other bikes are a 1976 and a 1981.

FWIW, I also drive a Ranger truck. The 2010 4wd model I'm in now is my fourth Ranger, and my third in succession with the 4.0L v6 engine and an automatic transmission.

RE: Ethanol free fuel - I drove my previous Ranger, a 2001 XLT, on a series of familiar commute routes each day for 167,000 miles. About the 70,000 mile mark a nearby station started carrying 89 Octane Ethanol free, at $0.25 more per gallon. After hearing a couple of my coffee buds talking about it I decided to give it a try on my next fill up.

My commute at the time included a half-mile long grade that ends where it crosses a bridge and the path of travel levels out. From the particular gas station to the bridge it is roughly 4 miles. For the ownership of that truck to that time anytime I climbed that grade at speed (55-60 mph) with the cruise set the engine pinged.

So that day I filled up from "below a quarter tank" with the Ethanol free and took off. This particular day the traffic was light so I made the foot of the grade at speed. The first thing I noticed was "no pinging." Also, when I filled up again the next week and roughly 225 miles later I got just at 1.25 miles per gallon better fuel economy.

From that day forward I was sold on Ethanol free gas and have run it ever since whenever I can conveniently get it.

In the fall of 2015 we moved 15 miles north in our county and it took me a while to find a supply of the Ethanol free fuel. The nearest station is 3 miles off of my routine commute, and unfortunately the proprietor at the new establishment wants $0.60 more per gallon!

So I'm running it in both motorcycles and the lawn equipment and chain saw, but I've not yet made peace with an average $9.00 per week ($468 per year) jump in fuel consumption costs on my daily driver.

In the meanwhile, there is a Shell station dead on my commute route and our Winn-Dixie rewards card gets me around $0.25 per gallon off by the end of each month, so I may opt to do the Ethanol free for all but the last week of the month. Decisions decisions...

All that aside, any Ethanol free petrol is by far the better choice of fuels.

NRA Life Member because ... "Tyranny cannot be safe without a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." -James Madison
Motorcycles: '01 GL1800; 2014 DL650 Adventure; gone away already: 5 BMW's, 4 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's
------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius

post #24 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:28 AM
Seasoned Member

I RUN CHEAPEST I CAN FIND WHEN OUT WEST IN MOUNTAINS THEY HAVE 85 TRIED IT. RAN GREAT. GUESS CAUSE THIN AIR ? IF YOUR GONNA PARK ENGINE FOR LONG TIME SPEND ABOUT $6 A GALLON AND GET SOME AIRPLANE FUEL. DONT HAVE TO FILL IT TO THE TOP . PUT SOME IN EMPTY TANK AND RUN FOR MINUTE TO GET THE "GOOD" GAS IN CARB / INJECTORS AND GOOD TO GO !

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #25 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
HD is running aggressive ignition advance in the M8 motor. That is why they switched from ion sensing knock detection to an acceleration type knock sensor on each cylinder head.

The ion sensing also reports quite a bit of false knock in the high load regions when increasing beyond factory compression.

Hopefully the new M8 version works better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 - Goldwing Navi ABS
2011 - Road Glide Ultra
(For Sale)

post #26 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Ethanol has a higher octane rating than any premium fuel....about 105 or so. The higher the octane rating, the less chance of pinging.
Probably the best fuel for any high performance engine would be E-85, which is 85% ethanol.

Rob in Maine
IBA #540

Honda NC700Xd
Garmin 590LM
3gal Aux Fuel
Givi Panniers/Topbox
post #27 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 02:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Now I'm confused.i don't know weather to buy high test mid grade or regular.by at BP. Chevron or EZ mart.🙁🙁 how about disel will that work?
Dave.David969 likes this.

​Prowler# 9
Darksider# 1142
Dunlop Winter Sport ROF 175/60/16
Bridgestone G-709
2006 Titanium
post #28 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

In my experience I've never noticed a difference no matter what gas I run. I think these wing engines are so forgiving that it doesn't matter. On the other hand, I try to stay away from the non-chain gas stations.

My BMW was another matter...
INTHEWIND likes this.

2002 GL1800 w/ 70,000+ miles
Full Race Tech suspension, Avon Cobra tires
Windbender windscreen w/rake & electric option
OEM CB, BikeMP3, Mic Mutes
post #29 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:50 PM
Seasoned Member

The octane thing is pretty much a no brainer to me. If your engine doesn't ping on low octane, use it. There is no good reason to use anything higher. Why waste money?

The detergent issue and top tier gas thing is another story. I originally poo poo'd it as marketing BS, but I have been paying attention and not completely dismissing it. I read, but won't rely on the marketing of those that financially benefit from it. Too much built in bias. And the car manufacturers don't have to pay for the fuel, so they would go along with any scheme that MIGHT help. They are looking out for themselves, not me.

It isn't possible to do real life comparisons of top tier vs non top tier fuel because every engine is different in its sensitivity to carbon buildup. Some engines are just not prone to buildup. So you can't do side by side comparisons. And keep in mind that even with high detergent levels, we are only talking about a few drops per gallon of fuel. Can the variances between fuels really make that much of a difference?

There are now a couple of independent controlled lab studies that have shown that top tier gas does result in lower levels of carbon buildup. So that is an interesting fact.

Before the EPA mandated minimum detergent levels in fuel in the mid 90s, most gas had no detergent. But then again, compared to today's high precision engines, cars of 2-3 decades ago ran pretty crappy by comparison. And clogged carbs, plugged injectors, and carboned up valves were pretty common. Higher detergent levels may really be needed in today's tighter tolerance engines to keep them running smoothly for many years.

But I still see a contradiction. Car manufacturers recommend top tier fuel, but in the same breath say that separate detergent additives are not necessary or recommended. It is the same chemicals put in the fuel. Why the discrepancy? What's the difference if it is pre-mixed in the fuel, or if I add it myself?

I won't pay 40 to 50 cents more per gallon to get the premium additive packages the oil companies supposedly put in their highest grade fuels. But I would consider using top tier brands that use it in their regular fuel. I am slowly leaning in that direction.
post #30 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
The ion sensing also reports quite a bit of false knock in the high load regions when increasing beyond factory compression.

Hopefully the new M8 version works better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The knock sensors on the M8 work very well as they respond to impending detonation within one to two combustion cycles. The ion sensing knock detection took several combustion cycles to respond.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page