premium gasoline - Page 8 - GL1800Riders
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Seasoned Member

At the Honda place I patronize they 'll put a patch on the inside and send you on your way. Its a Honda/BMW shop.

In Dallas, I went to fix a flat on a Beemer at a BMw shop and they put a new tire on the rear...I go Whooaaw, what kind of expensive patch is that. Service mangr. says: "oh, I am sorry, we don't patch tires, that's unsafe".

I had just put a Mich PR3 on in Diego...400+ dollar flat!

I think if you can patch the inside it ain't as bad as they say,

but one of them 'on-the-road' plugs--I wouldn't trust them things on the slab.

"hum, fear not evil I shall"
"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMassrider View Post
I know you're joking but I plugged a tire and rode for a while. Had a long trip and didn't trust it that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I plugged a tire and I'm letting the new replacement sit and age so it gets harder and not wear out so quick.
murf and hoverlover like this.

Cuda 383 4 speed Shaker Corvette Stingray 6.2L 455hp http://gl1800riders.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic16447_5.gif
post #73 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

As best I can tell after 47 years of riding the correlation between fuel grade and tire wear is entirely arbitrary. To wit; rider's wrist is a separate system and will impact tire wear regardless of fuel grade.

As regards plugging tires, it then seems a quality plug is in order to assure a seamless rate of wear between the tire tread and the plug composition.

Other than that precaution I'm fine with plugging tires - provided it is in the main body of the tread and not too close to the belt edge or in the side wall.

You may now go back to your regular programming.

NRA Life Member because ... "Tyranny cannot be safe without a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." -James Madison
Motorcycles: '01 GL1800; 2014 DL650 Adventure; gone away already: 5 BMW's, 4 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's
------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius

post #74 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando View Post
CASE IN POINT

Hey, can I stop by your house this Summer and work on my bike if I need to? Are you on the Goldwing book? You seem like a nice feller!!
Heck, you can stop by anytime. Always looking to meet new people. As far as working on your bike, that might be tough. I barely have the room to work on my own. But I do have beer!
Nando likes this.
post #75 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 02:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05nwl View Post

Of course, if an engine is truly designed for high octane, it must have high-octane, there's no reverse compatibility.

The 1800 has 9.8:1 compression with aluminum heads, so it is mild in terms of compression and, therefore very low-octane tolerant. Even with some carbon build-up reducing the compression chamber volume, it would still be around 10:1. Add in that it (and all modern engines) have knock sensors that automatically adjust spark timing according to load (when you open the throttle, you throw in more fuel and the spark plug needs to fire sooner to burn it all), and you have no worries if everything is working.
I have a 5.0 V-8 TAU engine that was made/designed by Hyundai Mtors. This engine has up to 435 HP with premium fuel, less with regular fuel. The car runs great with any level of fuel. I assume it has knock sensors and adjust fire accordingly?

Rob - 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing

Last edited by Bucfan11; 04-22-2017 at 02:20 PM.
post #76 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
I have a 5.0 V-8 TAU engine that was made/designed by Hyundai Mtors. This engine has up to 435 HP with premium fuel, less with regular fuel. The car runs great with any level of fuel. I assume it has knock sensors and adjust fire accordingly?
Multi-grade engines are becoming real common with higher horsepower engines, and I need to do more research to see everything they are doing.

I do know that if you take away the special wide band ECM on an engine like that, the basic engine design requires premium. Premium allows the engine to operate at its optimal ignition timing. The modified ECM has a much greater range to retard ignition timing, but you can only retard the timing so far before you start seriously degrading efficiency, not to mention creating combustion problems. They are obviously adjusting some other engine parameter as well, but I don't know what it is. Does that engine have VVT?

The worst part about these multi-grade engines is that people are going to think that it is the premium fuel that is giving more power, and it is just going to perpetuate the myths about the magical powers of premium. A multi-grade ECM simply de-tunes the engine so that it behaves on regular fuel. But that de-tuning hurts performance.
post #77 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:26 PM
Seasoned Member

@Sparky57

So then, for the longevity's sake (as if the Wing needed more) is it better to use the Premium or the Reg.?

"hum, fear not evil I shall"
"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.
post #78 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
@Sparky57

So then, for the longevity's sake (as if the Wing needed more) is it better to use the Premium or the Reg.?
Use the factory recommended regular.

Cuda 383 4 speed Shaker Corvette Stingray 6.2L 455hp http://gl1800riders.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic16447_5.gif
post #79 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 05:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
@Sparky57

The octane grade you use in the Wing will not make any difference in longevity, as long as it doesn't ping.
post #80 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 01:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
I suppose so. Computer magic in the spark and fuel controls. 11.8 compression ratio and 20-30 hp less on regular fuel. They could both advance and extend the spark and restrict fuel with lower octane. Do you know if it has two plugs per cylinder?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page