'02 Wing Won't Start - GL1800Riders
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

'02 Wing Won't Start

A little history .....

Last August the bike would only start consistently with the clutch pulled in, strong nutural light, kickstand up. I started a thread on this forum and techdude2000 suggested I clean the reverse regulator connection.

Last November I got a flat rear tire so I put the bike up for the Winter.

In February, I tried starting the bike and it would not start. I knew that the Walmart battery was at least 5 years old and the starter relays were the original with over 200,000 miles. I aways keep the battery on a Battery Tender.

Today, I installed a new battery and two new oem starter relays, as well as cleaning the reverse regulator connections. THE BIKE STILL DOESN'T START! When I turn on the ignition I hear the normal sounds like relays and such. When I push the starter switch the headlights go out like they're supposed to. Everything seems to be normal except for the sound of the starter cranking. The bike is in nutural with the kickstand up. I tried with and without the clutch pulled in. I just installed new spark plugs and the top shelter is off waiting on an air filter to arrive on my doorstep.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks, Tim

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

If you don't have a voltmeter, this might be a good time to get one. As with all electrical problems, you want to trace the circuit until you find the issue. In this case start at the battery, then check the starter relay. Does it have both 12V power from the battery and is it getting the start signal when you press the start button? If not, check the relay itself, you can take a jumper wire, a fused one is best, and apply 12V to the relay coil. The solenoid should activate and the starter should run. If not, then you have a bad relay or if the relay activates you have a problem with the circuit to the starter. Just keep tracing until you find the fault.

A wiring diagram like that in the service manual is very useful here especially if the issue is in the starter interlock that keeps the starter from running except when all the right conditions are met.

2005 GL1800 Silver
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:33 PM
GL1800 Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tberger53 View Post
A little history .....

Last August the bike would only start consistently with the clutch pulled in, strong nutural light, kickstand up. I started a thread on this forum and techdude2000 suggested I clean the reverse regulator connection.

Last November I got a flat rear tire so I put the bike up for the Winter.

In February, I tried starting the bike and it would not start. I knew that the Walmart battery was at least 5 years old and the starter relays were the original with over 200,000 miles. I aways keep the battery on a Battery Tender.

Today, I installed a new battery and two new oem starter relays, as well as cleaning the reverse regulator connections. THE BIKE STILL DOESN'T START! When I turn on the ignition I hear the normal sounds like relays and such. When I push the starter switch the headlights go out like they're supposed to. Everything seems to be normal except for the sound of the starter cranking. The bike is in nutural with the kickstand up. I tried with and without the clutch pulled in. I just installed new spark plugs and the top shelter is off waiting on an air filter to arrive on my doorstep.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks, Tim

If I understand you correctly, the starter is not cranking the engine? Are the new starter relays clicking when you hit the starter button? Do you have a good neutral light?

Rob's Candy Red '04

Last edited by techdude2000; 04-15-2017 at 05:49 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdude2000 View Post
If I understand you correctly, the starter is not cranking the engine? Are the new starter relays clicking when you hit the starter button? Do you have a good neutral light?
Unfortunately, I'm not mechanically inclined and I wouldn't have a clue how to use a meter even if I had one. About all I can do is bolt and unbolt stuff, or spray stuff with electrical cleaner.
Techdude2000, to answer your question the starter isn't cranking, but it was just before I put it up for the Winter. What could possibly happen to the bike during the Winter?
I have a strong neutral light and the relays sound as though they're clicking. Also, I sprayed the heck out of the starter switch.
Thanks, Tim

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Double check the kill switch. If it is in the correct position, try working it a few dozen times as the contacts can get corroded and cause problems.

2015 GL1800/A Audio Comfort, Navi/XM, ABS - Black/Red
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Double check the kill switch. If it is in the correct position, try working it a few dozen times as the contacts can get corroded and cause problems.
Thanks for the tip. I checked to see that the kill switch was in the correct position, but did not work it as you suggested.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:12 PM
Seasoned Member

parked for the winter ....... critters chew on something ? wouldnt be first time especially seeing it worked before he parked it ! ?

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:17 PM
GL1800 Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tberger53 View Post
Unfortunately, I'm not mechanically inclined and I wouldn't have a clue how to use a meter even if I had one. About all I can do is bolt and unbolt stuff, or spray stuff with electrical cleaner.
Techdude2000, to answer your question the starter isn't cranking, but it was just before I put it up for the Winter. What could possibly happen to the bike during the Winter?
I have a strong neutral light and the relays sound as though they're clicking. Also, I sprayed the heck out of the starter switch.
Thanks, Tim

Can you feel both of the starter relays click when you hit the button? If so, then double check your cables on both of them. If both of them are not clicking, then double check your cables for correct positions on them and their small connectors. It's not the kill switch if the FI light comes on and the fuel pump runs for a second. Make sure your cables are routed and connected exactly like this diagram.

Rob's Candy Red '04

Last edited by techdude2000; 04-15-2017 at 09:22 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:15 PM

Garage
Could be that your new battery is bad - I had that happen about a year ago - same situation as you have described - bought & installed new battery, bike would not start or turnover - took the battery back to shop - they checked it and found it was bad (had a short or dead cells) and replaced the battery - took it home installed on bike - all good after that.

T-Cat
Midlothian, TX
2002 Silver GL1800A
2007 Nomad VN1600
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cat View Post
Could be that your new battery is bad - I had that happen about a year ago - same situation as you have described - bought & installed new battery, bike would not start or turnover - took the battery back to shop - they checked it and found it was bad (had a short or dead cells) and replaced the battery - took it home installed on bike - all good after that.
That's a good idea, I just don't understand how a brand new battery could be bad.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page