Having to reinsall Garmin Zumo 665 Cradle and Wiring - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Having to reinsall Garmin Zumo 665 Cradle and Wiring

I need a little help. A wonderful man who built my trike installed my Garmin Zumo 665 for me last year. Now all of a sudden the XM will not work. Garmin has sent me a new cradle with power cord. I am an idiot when it comes to electrical. The easy part is I can follow the routes of the installed power cords to make the same install but it puzzles me. On my trike the wire that is red with the inline fuse is attached to the fuse box top position. The little thin black wire is at the battery post. The power cable has had some extensions installed to make the length.

Is the connection correct, that tiny thin black wire throws me off for some reason. I need a little electrical 101 right now. And I need a soldering iron, sure wish my little town would get a Harbor Freight, the closest is an hour away.

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Karen,

You don't say which post the black wire goes to on the battery. I would guess that it goes to the negative post (-) and the red wire goes to a positive (+) terminal on the fuse block to provide fused power. This is normal. Just make sure the black wire goes to the negative post or ground and you should be good. And hook that wire up last and then put the fuse in the fuse holder (if there is one) and that should work for you.

Griff

1976 CB550-Four
1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2004 GL1800 Titanium

GWRRA - promoting Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge.

GWRRA # 400819
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Zumo

Sorry for not clarifying on the neg post, and yes your correct. Makes sense to me now, thanks so much.

Karen

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Would recommend. Doing a temporary connection and ensure that all is working as desired before taking the effort to cleanly route the cables.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

U.S. Navy Retired
American Legion Riders
Patriot Guard Riders
NRA, AMA

I ride a Goldwing because Cadillac doesn't build a motorcycle.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jafi_fink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
Would recommend. Doing a temporary connection and ensure that all is working as desired before taking the effort to cleanly route the cables.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Agree! Just hook up the power without installing to make sure the new cradle works. There are so many things to go wrong with XM that it may not be the cradle at all. Here are some of the failures I have had on my 665:

1) The Puck actually failed
2) Cradle / GPS pins became corroded, I just used electrical cleaner to fix
3) pin failure in the Cradle, this is why Garmin may have sent you a new cradle.
4) XM and Bluetooth conflict. Turn off bluetooth and XM may start working. Youtube muted the volume but here is a LINK:

Joe

2004 GL1800A
2011 KTM Adventure Dakar 990
2014 KTM 500 Exc
2008 KLR 685

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Q55LP-AzZvI/VlMliifZLuI/AAAAAAAAFns/bcqZ7-_9rIU/s391-Ic42/Visited.jpg
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Agree with Jafi_Fink on his remarks - I have had 2 of those 4 failures with my 665... Additionally, make sure your XM antenna is at least 12" away from the GPS unit per the Garmin mounting instructions for best performance...

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Double Darkside - BT-45

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thank you I will.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I understand that but where to put it. Many say they have not had any issues with that mount behind the Garmin, but others have. Also would have to order the antenna extension to put it in the rear some place.

Karen
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I installed the new cradle and wiring but the xm will not work. Again the Garmin says "check xm antenna". I also tested it again with the same antenna to the auto cradle with the cig lighter plug and it all works fine. Garmin cannot figure out why this one does not work on xm with the new cradle. So, they want mine sent to them and they will send me a refurbished one. There is nothing else I can so with this but send in the old one.

Karen
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 03:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Nice that they're still supporting it. Wow.

Good luck.

On your red & black wire pigtail, when you hook it back up.... that post on the ACC terminal in the fuse box is a great place to get switched 12V + power. Go back there. The post right below it is an ACC ground. You can either run the black wire to that, or run the black wire to battery ground like the installer had it. Whatever is easier. There are other grounds, but probably easiest to stick with where you've been or we're you're going anyway.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page