Rocky bleed question - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet bob View Post
I just wasn't real impressed with the brake bleed. Used an air compressor with some kind of venturi set-up to draw the fluid out.

The mechanic's procedure is sort of OK and by the book per Honda regarding evacuating the old fluid and then drawing in the new. That is NOT "bleeding" though. Bleeding is the procedure whereby we attempt to remove any residual air after the new fluid is drawn in and in the case of the GL1800 consists of following a specific sequence from one bleeder to another using the lever/peddle to compress the system and the bleeder to allow the bubbles to escape. In the service manual, even when the brake vacuum tool is used, the bleeding procedure is to follow. BUT, when we are doing simple fluid replacement maintenance, it is easier and far less prone to introduce unwanted air into the system if we just use the bleeding procedure to purge the old fluid with new and forget the vacuum tool and emptying the system first. In the sequence, the Rocky steps are the last two steps in the sequence.

prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Yes, I agree. This wasn't 'brake bleeding', it was brake fluid replacement. And someone did mention laying his hike over to replace a tire. I did the same thing after this procedure was done. Perhaps that contributes to the air problem.
Back to the original question: best to bleed it with a soft pedal(after sitting for several days) or pump it up and then bleed? I'm leaning towards the soft pedal. Maybe it doesn't make any difference......

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet bob View Post
Yes, I agree. This wasn't 'brake bleeding', it was brake fluid replacement. And someone did mention laying his hike over to replace a tire. I did the same thing after this procedure was done. Perhaps that contributes to the air problem.
Back to the original question: best to bleed it with a soft pedal(after sitting for several days) or pump it up and then bleed? I'm leaning towards the soft pedal. Maybe it doesn't make any difference......
I don't think it makes a lot of difference, BB. After all, the first thing you do when you bleed the brakes is to put pressure on the system (i.e, pump it up) before you crack the bleeder open.

And, I strongly doubt that laying the ol' girl on her side to change the rear tire caused this. You didn't open the system to allow any air in when you laid'er down - that air was already in the system.

'08 Pearl White Navi

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Member

I have never had a brake problem after the lay down method when doing my tyre.

2009 GL1800 8A / Triumph Scrambler 900. Ridden where the geography includes glaciers, fiords, mountains, plains, subtropical forest, volcanic plateau, and miles of coastline are all within easy reach of each.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:49 AM
Seasoned Member

I have always pumped the lever or peddle to get firm condition, hold that pressure and then open the bleeder which allows the lever or peddle to collapse upon the grip or its bottom, hold that position as I quickly close the bleeder, the S-L-O-W-L-Y release the lever or peddle ---- repeat as necessary keeping reservoir from going empty. BUT, on that upper junction it is best to "break" it free a bit before starting, then gently close it before getting firm peddle and so on - otherwise that first attempt to break the tight fitting loose is more tedious. Does it make a difference? I dunno, I have always done it the way I describe.

prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page