Rocky bleed question - GL1800Riders
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Rocky bleed question

I had the brake recall done on my '12 and while he was there, had him install speed-bleeders. Now when the bike sits for a day or two, the rear brake pedal goes nearly all the way down. Pump it a 'couple times and it's fine. My question: do I want to do the Rocky bleed first when the pedal is going all the way down, or do I want to pump it a few times, get a good pedal, and then bleed it? TIA

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Just me, I would assume the air to be collecting at or very near the high point - the location of the "Rocky bleed" and attempt doing it after an overnight sit, before touching the lever.

That said, as I recall, even Rocky reported no need to do that bleed after the recall work. And, the extra step of the Rocky bleed was AFTER following all of the normal bleed sequence. I would consider going back to the shop that performed the recall. It would appear they did not properly flush and bleed the system.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:29 AM
Seasoned Member

"I had the brake recall done on my '12 and while he was there, had him install speed-bleeders."

Take it back to where you had it done.
Not doing it before and then doing it after, points to an issue caused by them.
They are responsible for the fix.

Doug

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:46 AM
Seasoned Member

IF the problem is air at the high point, THEN it is highly unlikely the dealership will ever effectively remedy the situation. The remedy, (Rocky bleed) is not part of Honda protocol. If the owner is mechanically inclined, I see no harm in him/her doing the extra step(s). The procedure requires the correct compression nut wrench and all due diligence to not get brake fluid on finished surfaces of the bike and to be prepared to immediately remove any brake fluid from surfaces if spilled. If the service techs follow the Honda specified technique, there will be air at that junction when they finish.

prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

This guy rebuilt my rear caliper at the same time. Said that was the reason the pedal was so mushy. But I just wasn't real impressed with the brake bleed. Used an air compressor with some kind of venturi set-up to draw the fluid out. Didn't seem to work real slick. Kinda thinking I'd just "Rocky bleed" it real quick and be done. Just wasn't real sure if I should do it with a weak or strong pedal.

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon Roost View Post
IF the problem is air at the high point, THEN it is highly unlikely the dealership will ever effectively remedy the situation. The remedy, (Rocky bleed) is not part of Honda protocol. If the owner is mechanically inclined, I see no harm in him/her doing the extra step(s). The procedure requires the correct compression nut wrench and all due diligence to not get brake fluid on finished surfaces of the bike and to be prepared to immediately remove any brake fluid from surfaces if spilled. If the service techs follow the Honda specified technique, there will be air at that junction when they finish.

prs
I agree. I have talked with him before (BS'n) and he didn't seem to know what a Rocky Bleed was.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Few people outside of the dedicated forums will have a chance to know. Remember, the chief symptom the extra steps remediate is the hot weather rear brake only shudder. Honda techs will tell you that is normal and to always use both brake lever/peddle together to avoid the shudder. Having a very high and firm initial rear brake peddle response is something we tend to overlook on a new bike. I rode mine for years thinking my rear brake peddle was OK before Rocky introduced us to the extra steps. With all of the air out, the peddle is way up when making firm brake pressure and no more shudder.

prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I had my dealer bleed the brakes and it was after that I started getting the shudder. I put in speed bleeders, rebled the system but wasn't able to do the "high point" in the system cause I couldn't find it. Can someone tell me where it is so I can go back and bleed the brakes again and get it all done at once? I hate having that shudder and would love to get rid of it once and for all.

1976 CB550-Four
1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2004 GL1800 Titanium

GWRRA - promoting Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge.

GWRRA # 400819
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Try this: Rocky Brake Bleed

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0352.PNG
Views:	111
Size:	3.81 MB
ID:	191113

With all due respect to the originator of this "Rocky Bleed", I have a picture from way back when...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page