Clutch actuation issues - GL1800Riders
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Clutch actuation issues

Have owned my 2001 GL1800A for almost 11 years now. Been doing very regular maintenance on it since I bought it in 2006, including bleeding/flushing my clutch fluid every other year.
Heres my problem:
When I pull my clutch lever in fully, then shift into gear, or when shifting to neutral, or when upshifting, it feels like my clutch isn't fully dis-engaging. Many time when accelerating up through the gears, the gears almost grind, as if I havent fully pulled the clutch in.
Now, if I bleed/flush the clutch, it seems to be better for a while, then the problem comes back.

Whats the fix? Are any of the rubber hydraulic hoses breaking down/expanding? I dont know of any other adjustment to the clutch system, so I'm open to suggestions!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]One thing about an 1800 Wing: It does EVERYTHING GOOD!!!!!
Proud owner of my third Wing:
2001 GL1800A in Pearl Apollo Blue!
Previous rides:
1995 GL1500 SE, 1985 GL1200 I, 1982 V45 Sabre, 1982 CB750K, 1973 KZ350, and a boat load of off-road screamers!

Last edited by Wingdreamer; 04-19-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Replace part number 2 on this diagram.http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...DER/parts.html

Gl1800A Interceptor Illusion red
Florida Prowler 100
IBA #64117

"Freedom is the length of the chain between a stake in the ground and reality"
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingdreamer View Post
Have owned my 2001 GL1800A for almost 11 years now. Been doing very regular maintenance on it since I bought it in 2006, including bleeding/flushing my clutch fluid every other year.
Heres my problem:
When I pull my clutch lever in fully, then shift into gear, or when shifting to neutral, or when upshifting, it feels like my clutch isn't fully dis-engaging. Many time when accelerating up through the gears, the gears almost grind, as if I havent fully pulled the clutch in.
Now, if I bleed/flush the brakes, it seems to be better for a while, then the problem comes back.

Whats the fix? Are any of the rubber hydraulic hoses breaking down/expanding? I dont know of any other adjustment to the clutch system, so I'm open to suggestions!
Maybe you mean't to say "...if I bleed/flush the CLUTCH..."? Not too sure how servicing the brakes would affect the clutch.

At any rate, I had the very same problem on a Yamaha Venture. It was odd because I'm sure I had serviced the fluid when I replaced the slave cylinder on it the year before. I eventually changed the DOT 3 hydraulic clutch fluid out for DOT 5.1 and that "fixed" the issue.

Ian (IBA# 65781)

Current Street: 2008 GL1800 Level II - R303 Dark Red Metallic, Various & Sundry Add-ons

I liked 2-Strokes...a lot
Still do.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAirIan View Post
Maybe you mean't to say "...if I bleed/flush the CLUTCH..."? Not too sure how servicing the brakes would affect the clutch.

At any rate, I had the very same problem on a Yamaha Venture. It was odd because I'm sure I had serviced the fluid when I replaced the slave cylinder on it the year before. I eventually changed the DOT 3 hydraulic clutch fluid out for DOT 5.1 and that "fixed" the issue.
Thx, corrected that long day...

I have been using DOT 4 Synthetic fluid for may years in all of my vehicles. Never heard of using DOT 5.1. Just read up on the differences between dot 4 and dot 5.1... interesting.. Apparently, DOT 4 absorbs moisture faster than DOT 3 and thus needs to be changed sooner... Could that be contributing? Not sure, as my clutch only seems to improve for a week or so after changing the fluid, and its only a marginal improvement.

I also have Kuryakyn ISO grips on my bike. Obviously, thicker than stock grips... wonder if that could be contributing to having less room for travel when pulling in clutch lever? I bought a set of Show Chrome heated grips that I still need to install. Wonder if they are the same diameter or ????

Previous rides:
1995 GL1500 SE, 1985 GL1200 I, 1982 V45 Sabre, 1982 CB750K, 1973 KZ350, and a boat load of off-road screamers!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Cylinder Assy., Clutch Slave maybe ??

Partzilla - Front Cover + Transmission Cover

22860-MCA-000

$82.87

Ian (IBA# 65781)

Current Street: 2008 GL1800 Level II - R303 Dark Red Metallic, Various & Sundry Add-ons

I liked 2-Strokes...a lot
Still do.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
Replace part number 2 on this diagram.http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...DER/parts.html
Good point! I replaced this brass bushing several years back due to this issue, and did see some improvement.

Thinking.... is there anything at the clutch slave itself that could wear out? A push rod that is actuated by the slave to the clutch basket that could be worn?

I'm looking at the clutch slave here:
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...VER/parts.html

Could the slave unit be worn out?
SuperAirIan likes this.

Previous rides:
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Seasoned Member

How many miles on the bike? I'm at 150k and having none of those issues. Buddy of mine was having them on his bike and replaced that bushing and all was well.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
How many miles on the bike? I'm at 150k and having none of those issues. Buddy of mine was having them on his bike and replaced that bushing and all was well.
Sitting at 130,000 miles right now.

Previous rides:
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingdreamer View Post
Sitting at 130,000 miles right now.
I think that would be premature but things do happen sometimes. I just replaced a final drive on a guys bike that only had 60k on it. Good luck.

Gl1800A Interceptor Illusion red
Florida Prowler 100
IBA #64117

"Freedom is the length of the chain between a stake in the ground and reality"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Good stuff posted above, I would add that you be sure the little hole in the reservoir is not plugged preventing proper fluid return after actuation. I found one once that had Some crud in it. That prevented full stroke of the lever. Clutch wasn't fully disengaging or engaging. I disassembled the master to clean it out, and just put it all back together again. Worked perfect, still is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page