Front Forks Project - GL1800Riders
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Front Forks Project

Well... I am not going to bore you with a years worth of excuses as to why its taken me this long to get around to installing the new goodies, but I have set aside this weekend to get this completed. I have the factory manual and Fred's DVD set. I have watched all the related videos twice each.

The project includes:
- RaceTech 1.1 Springs
- RaceTech Gold Valve / Emulator Kit
- Fresh bushings, seals, and fork oil
- All Balls taper steering stem bearings
- Lower Tree from 2012 up Goldwing
- 5pc. Fork Brace ( I already have this installed by previous owner )
- Anti dive disabled

I have the Honda bushing and seals kit from WingStuff that includes new bolts and crush washers, and new O-rings for the fork caps in addition to the bushings, seals and dust covers. I also have a Traxxion Front Forks service tool kit. This has lots of goodies in it including the long 6mm allen needed for the bolt at the bottom of the forks. Got lots of fork oil, etc. Should be good here.

My questions are going to be in 2 follow on posts so you all can reply to each as appropriate.
Thanks
gfcsteve likes this.

2005 GL1800ABS 61,000mi
2003 ZG1000 132,000mi
IBA 28004
Darkside #1707
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Question 1.

The previous owner had installed the fork brace and disable the anti-dive, with nothing else. My concern is disabled anti dive on stock suspension with this thing bottoming our over and over, for years and years. Is there anything I should expect, inspect, your thoughts? My goal is to know what to inspect and look for. Or should I just go for it?

2005 GL1800ABS 61,000mi
2003 ZG1000 132,000mi
IBA 28004
Darkside #1707
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Question 2.

Installing the upper fork bushing and seal. In Fred's video he mentions Honda sells the proper tool, but uses a home made tool. Says to make sure and use wood or plastic and not metal, so we do not scratch the sliders. In the Traxxion front fork service tool kit there looks to be a large metal tool designed for driving on seals and bushings. This thing is hefty at a good 2-3 lbs or more. The ID looks to be the same as the diameter as the sliders and would slip down over the slider and drive bushing and seals quite nice.

The though is about that its metal not plastic or wood. I am wondering about proper usage of this tool. Make sure its clean and no dirt or stuff inside that could scratch things, maybe lube the inside with fork oil? What? I don't see from the video how to use its Fred didn't use it, and the Traxxion kit does not show. And I have not read the factory manual yet.

2005 GL1800ABS 61,000mi
2003 ZG1000 132,000mi
IBA 28004
Darkside #1707

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:59 PM
Seasoned Member

"hum, fear not evil I shall"
"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:00 PM
Seasoned Member

1. Go for it, I don't think you'll find any issues that you will not be replacing with your new components.

2. Many guys make a 'driver' out of pvc pipe for very little money. Just take the items you want to drive in with you to the hardware store to match the size and length needed. Eze Peze.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

#2. Yeah I saw that. I guess I was figuring that Traxxion sells the high end stuff and advertises the kits as being made from the best available parts. So I supposed that it should not be a problem. Thinking making sure there is no gunk, etc is a no brainer.

I guess I am wondering the pros and cons of sliding the driver over the seal and tapping on the driver with rubber mallet or sliding the driver up and down the fork tube using the hefty weight of that thing as the driving force. Seems like the tapping with the hammer kind of idea might not get it square, where sliding up and down would apply the force all around the seal and make it go straight. But then we are sliding the driver up and down the tube looks like potential scratching. But maybe I am over thinking it. Would Traxxion really sell a kit to customers and dealers that scratches the crap out of your fork sliders.

2005 GL1800ABS 61,000mi
2003 ZG1000 132,000mi
IBA 28004
Darkside #1707
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Sounds like a plan. But I would check into replacing the lower triple tree with a billet one, and not install the fork brace. And you will get a lot of different answers on what to torque the neck bearing at with all balls. I had mine apart 4 times to finally get it so the bike did not wander when going slow. I ended up at 12ft/lbs. This gave me 3 lbs of pull when using a scale.
I tried, 30, 21, 16 and enden up at 12 pounds of torque. I went with progressive mono tubes with the billet tree and all balls.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:42 PM
Seasoned Member

1. Go for it. I bought the disabler from Ebay.

2. I bought the HEAVY Honda tool and used it to seat the seals by sliding it up and down on the slider. Don't be afraid to pound hard enough to get the seals down to the proper retainer ring groove. Lube the slider with fork oil first.

Shop setup with bike on a Pit Bull Lift and forks ready to install:

Getting the bolts out of the fork bottoms MIGHT take excessive twisting force on an Allen Wrench. I cut a #6 one to proper length and epoxied it into a #6 1/4 drive socket and then used a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter so that I could use a 3/8 drive socket wrench to loosen the bolts. Keep a constant HARD pressure until the bolt finally loosens.

I filled the tubes to within 5" of the top by standing the tube on the floor and pouring the fork oil in from the top. Also much easier to screw the top cap on than leaning over the bike.

You might find it advantageous to change the clutch fluid and anti freeze while you have the tupper ware removed.

gramps

Troy, Michigan 2007 Goldwing
IBA 45141
BBG X5
SS2000 Gold

Mile Eater Bronze, Silver, and Gold

Last edited by Grampawinger; 04-19-2017 at 08:05 PM.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thanks on the driver tool feedback.

Poor choice of words on my part. The Traxxion for tool kit comes with a 6mm hex tool of the right length. Its not really an allen wrench. It will be very easy to slip into a 6mm 1/4 drive socket. Already tested that.

Now that you mention it, I guess I never really did remove the top the anti dive unit and see how the previous owner disabled it. I took his word for it when he told me he had done that. I guess I'll find out Fri/Sat.

2005 GL1800ABS 61,000mi
2003 ZG1000 132,000mi
IBA 28004
Darkside #1707
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I go have access to an air compressor and air tools. Thinking that 6mm wrench in the 1/4 drive socket with 3/8 adapter in the end of the air gun will snap that thing loose. Overkill? Mess it up? Good idea?

2005 GL1800ABS 61,000mi
2003 ZG1000 132,000mi
IBA 28004
Darkside #1707

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page