Fair price for R&R of rear spring? - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Fair price for R&R of rear spring?

What would be a fair price to replace the rear coil spring on a 2002 GL1800?
Also, what all is entailed in that job (what all has to come off to get to the spring)? Thanks in advance.

1983 Classic H-D Blue GL1100 Goldwing, 2002 Hot Rod Yellow GL1800A Goldwing, 2003 Candy Red VTX1800 Retro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Helped my buddy with his - the gas tank has to come out as well as the top shelter and side panels and seat - fairly labor intensive - I would guess a shop would charge 3-5 hours labor...

here is a short pictorial

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/gastank

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Double Darkside - BT-45

Last edited by dadztoy; 04-20-2017 at 07:55 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I had a friend that had done this before to come and help me. I took all of the stuff off. Not down to the air filter, but I did have to loosen some of the bolts that hold that second level of stuff so that the gas tank had room to come out. Removed the dash and the top panel, seat, and loosened the rt. rear trunk. It took us about 3 hours to remove the tank and replace the spring shock and pump. We also refilled the H. Pump while we were at it. Hard part was getting the gas tank out but a lot of silicone spray lubricate helped a lot.
I then reinstalled the stuff I had remove. One day of my time and job was done.

Ride AR
JSR

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrinhsv View Post
We also refilled the H. Pump while we were at it.
H. Pump? Hydraulic Pump?

1983 Classic H-D Blue GL1100 Goldwing, 2002 Hot Rod Yellow GL1800A Goldwing, 2003 Candy Red VTX1800 Retro
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 02:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Yes. The preload actuator for the rear spring is hydraulically activated via an electric motor, which is what you hear running when you are pressing the up/down buttons. The problem is they are generally not full of fluid and have lots of air in them. Just like brake lines that have air in them and feel real mushy and lots of lever travel, the electric motor first has to compress all the air and get the line firmed up before any preload starts to happen. This is a strong spring. Any amount of air takes a lot of compression before the whole system is firm enough to start moving the spring. Place your bike on the center stand. Run the preload down to 0 on the meter panel, with the engine off so you can hear start running up the preload. For most people your hear the electric motor turn easily from 0 to 5 range. Then suddenly at 6 you hear the electric motor load down and start to move the spring. This means you really didn't have preload range from 0 -25. You really had 0-20, as the first 5 preload motor steps was just compressing air. So by filling the system with 5 wt suspension fluid and getting it topped off real nice, most find the preload engages almost immediately and you have a true 0-25 preload adjustment range.

2005 GL1800ABS 61,000mi
2003 ZG1000 132,000mi
IBA 28004
Darkside #1707

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page