Rear suspension upgrade: Traxxion shock vs Progressive shock vs Progressive spring an - GL1800Riders
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Fred H.
  • 1 Post By cjwill123

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Rear suspension upgrade: Traxxion shock vs Progressive shock vs Progressive spring an

I am giving consideration to an upgrade to my rear suspension on my 1st gen Wing. I'm not an overly aggressive rider but will on occasion be towing my Aspen Classic camper. I would be interested in other owners approaches under similar conditions. Thanks in advance for your inputs. My Wing currently has just over 50M miles on the stock suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Best bang for your money is a stock shock with a progressive spring this is what I would do buy a second hand newer model stock rear shock and install the progressive spring on it then install the completed rear shock at your leisure I tried a complete TRAXXION rear shock once a long time ago and it blew a oil seal in only like 20K or so but that was a old model and I believe now they have improved the new model shock ? good luck
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:07 AM
Supporting Vendor

The Traxxion rear shock is rebuildable. I took one off a bike with 166K miles on it this week for a rebuild. I've never seen a single Traxxion rear shock leak or fail in any way. They had a problem with one small batch of seals about 8 years or so ago but this has long been fixed. The Progressive spring is another option, but it is a 1,200 lb/in spring, and the stock shock won't be able to control it very well. I also believe that is too stiff of a spring for this bike unless you're pulling a trailer 100% of the time.
Monk and 231wingman like this.

GL1800 Maintenance Videos - 20 Disc Set

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Dealer/Installer

Follow Me on Facebook

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingerbrian View Post
I am giving consideration to an upgrade to my rear suspension on my 1st gen Wing. I'm not an overly aggressive rider but will on occasion be towing my Aspen Classic camper. I would be interested in other owners approaches under similar conditions. Thanks in advance for your inputs. My Wing currently has just over 50M miles on the stock suspension.

Progressive is probably the least expensive way to go. That is what I use. But if your fork springs are the original ones!! I would upgrade them first. OEM fork springs are junk in my opinion. New springs front and back and you'll think you have a new bike. With 50K on it...I would rebuild the forks while I had it apart. (slides bushings and seals)

Darkside #1255
Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Leader of the first Darkside Ride-in
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

I installed Hyperpro springs front and rear and am very happy with the results.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by becken View Post
I also went for Hyperpro springs front & rear, a big improvement over OEM and not that expensive.

Steve Clemmet,
Billingham, England
2013 GL1800 Airbag Navi
2016 Honda NC750X
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 09:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by becken View Post
Do you know what the rear spring rate is?

AMSOIL LIFETIME SINCE 1985
USN 1966-1970 USNR 1970-1984

Past Rides
1970 H1 KAWI
1974 H2 KAWI
1975 Z1 KAWI
1978 BMW 1000
1979 1300 KAWI
1980 WING
1984 WING
1986 YAMAHA VENTURE
1995 WING
2002 WING
2005 WING
2007 ULTRA
2009 ULTRA
2010 WING
2012 ULTRA LIMITED
2012 WING
2015 BMW K1600 EXCLUSIVE
2017 WING
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 03:53 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwing fan View Post
Best bang for your money is a stock shock with a progressive spring this is what I would do buy a second hand newer model stock rear shock and install the progressive spring on it then install the completed rear shock at your leisure I tried a complete TRAXXION rear shock once a long time ago and it blew a oil seal in only like 20K or so but that was a old model and I believe now they have improved the new model shock ? good luck
I agree with the goldwing fan, what I did was to purchase a 2012+ and later stock rear shock (on-line Ebay) and had "RaceTech Suspension" in (Corona, ca.) install a new heavier rated spring and install a braided line between the pre-load adjuster pump and ring (it won't swell like the OEM's do). (I did not want the shock rebuilt)

The Ride is AWESOME now for me and the misses now.

Just check into the aftermarket Spring you want to use.

good luck
wingerbrian likes this.

CJ
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2002 View Post
Do you know what the rear spring rate is?
Most springs out there are either straight rate or dual rate. I may be wrong but I believe Hyperpro is the only true progressively wound spring on the market. You could check here http://epmperf.com/ and they may be able to tell you the rate of the springs.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:11 PM
Seasoned Member

I wouldn't upgrade the stiffness of the rear shock too much unless you are going to put stiffer springs in the front.

You don't mention what year your wing is. If you have a pre-2012, you could replace your stock shock and spring with a 2012 or newer one and the OEM spring will be 100 pounds stiffer.

The traxxion shock with 1100# spring is excellent and the 1200# progressive spring on a stock shock is ok, but as Fred stated earlier, the stock shock was really not designed to dampen a spring that large.

What you DO NOT want to do is put an 1100 or 1200 pound rear spring on and leave the weak stock OEM springs in the front. Traxxion sells front springs for $90. It would be well worth it to upgrade those as well if you upgrade the rear spring to anything bigger than OEM spec. (For reference...I believe the 2012 and newer OEM is 1000 pounds and the 2001-2010 is 900 pounds)

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page